BP Lubricants tankers

64F

Does anyone have information about the dates / operations of the prototypes for Bachmann's TTF tankers in BP Lubricants livery (37-590 and 590A)?  I've not been able to find any photos, but the combination of TOPS numbers and vacuum brakes presumably means late-'70s to early-'80s.  Presumably these would have operated from a specific plant and been less widespread than the more common grey or black oil tankers?

4 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

Not seen one as Lubricants but the earliest Green BPO I recorded was March 1991. 

Paul

Yes, but the Bachmann ones are supposedly vac braked and have an older type BP logo, and now that I look again they also lack hazchem markings which suggests late '70s.  Hence my interest - I don't think I've ever seen pictures of green tankers in that  time period.  The first place I checked was your excellent website of course.  Assuming that the models are prototypical I'm thinking they were either not very numerous or had a restricted area of operations.

2 hours ago, 64F said:

Yes, but the Bachmann ones are supposedly vac braked

I've never seen a Bachmann 4wh tank. I have no idea what it is. However, I am aware that, like other companies, they are trying to represent the Monobloc 45t tanks as all being very similar when each manufacturer had their own styles, that changed with time and also whether built VB and later rebuilt AB, or AB from new... and then there is the suspension changes and the barrel, ladders, fillers, vents and access walkways all differ. 

Paul

• Agree 1

In 1990 there were three

BPO 60194 Chas Roberts 1964 TT034C converted to TTA

BPO 60197 Pickering 1965 TT026Y converted to TTA

BPO 60365 South Staffs 1965 TT026J still TTF but stored

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

20 minutes ago, markw said:

In 1990 there were three

BPO 60194 Chas Roberts 1964 TT034C converted to TTA

BPO 60197 Pickering 1965 TT026Y converted to TTA

BPO 60365 South Staffs 1965 TT026J still TTF but stored

Interesting.  Sounds like there may just have been a handful for wagonload traffic.  It would still be nice to know where they ran, and to find a picture to see how close the Bachmann representation is / judge what could be done to improve it.

60197 is preserved, but it will doubtless have been altered a bit since its days as a TTF: https://nationalwagonpresg.wixsite.com/home/about-1

Super, I can't resist a Grangemouth wagon.  The roof walkway being of the wrong type is the most obvious issue, but these always benefit from replacement anyway.