Wanted for Hornby class 71 (E5000) loco

stewartingram

I posted this in the Wanted section earlier this week. It perhaps hasn't seen many views there, so I'm ostin instead in the Hornby section.

I've lost/damaged a couple of buffers on my class 71, and can't find spares listed anywhere. Does anyone know of a source. I'll use replacments that are not Hornby if necessary.

• RMweb Gold

Have you tried speaking to Hornby? They sometimes have some spares available. A while ago I did contact them about missing buffers on one of my Pullmans and they sent me a couple in the post free of charge.

I've also recently used a couple of Bachmann sprung buffers to replace lost central buffers in two of my 2-EPBs - they do seem to fall out all too easily. Bachmann do the round buffers in various sizes, so perhaps one will be a good match. 

Well at least I got a response by moving to this forum lol!

TBH, no I haven't contacted Hornby (yet). Couple of points on this though. I have in the past done that on a number of times and got positive replies. A new chassis block (which was used to build up as a replacement for a mazak rot 30 chassis), and for the same model, s/h bodyside grilles (wrong colour but soon repainted). At that times there were many shouts of woe on here about Hornby not having spares or being at all helpful!

I had hoped that suppliers like Peters Spares, or ebay sellers, might help, but it was a desert. However one thing came as a surprise. The Hornby website now lists spares. Not as comprehensive as Bachmann, but it is a start.

I shall make an enquiry with Hornby, if you don't ask you don't get. I have lost one complete buffer (head + body), and a 2nd buffer head only.

Well, I contacted Hornby. they had a look, but that was unsuccessful. Then they suggested Peters Spares, but I'd already told them that they hadn't any.

So I'm still looking for 2 class 71 buffers, or alternatives.

• RMweb Gold

Silver Fox Models do a kit for the class 74 which has the same buffers. Wonder if they might have a set of buffers as a spare part?

Another thought - are the class 73 buffers the same as used on the 71? Dapol might be able to supply spares.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

The 71 is a bit unique, its buffer is partially hidden behind cowling on the real thing.

the head should be easy enough to replace, maybe use a Heljan 86 buffer head, but the whole shank/buffer assembly isnt so easy as Hornby moulded it as one and slotted it to the buffer beam.

For a real odd ball… you could make the shank from a Hornby B1  buffer… the 71/86 were Doncaster products and looking at the shape they didnt reinvent the wheel… just inserted a bigger bufferbeam head…so maybe do the same.

Edited by adb968008
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

FWIW I have the same problem, a missing buffer, also two vertical handrails and a windscreen wiper, all on a secondhand purchase off Ebay where I should have studied the photos more carefully!

At some stage, I assume Hornby will rerun the model, maybe in a different livery, say the darker green with or without a yellow panel. I'm hoping a few spares may become available then.

John.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

At some stage, I assume Hornby will rerun the model, maybe in a different livery, say the darker green with or without a yellow panel. I'm hoping a few spares may become available then.

Considering how slowly they seem to have sold (overall) I wouldn't hold your breath.

• Agree 3

Hi , could be worth looking at lendons of Cardiff to come to a compromise, their range of spares is excellent, comparable with peters spares, and often cheaper…..they don’t appear to have any class 71 spares unfortunately.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 47164 said:

Hi , could be worth looking at lendons of Cardiff to come to a compromise, their range of spares is excellent, comparable with peters spares, and often cheaper…..they don’t appear to have any class 71 spares unfortunately.

Thanks for this, a good tip. I've used Lendons a few times, very reliable and as you say often extremely competitive on pricing. It seems to be a case with them of looking in on a regular basis to see what's become available - I never thought I'd say this, but where would we be without the internet!

John.