Mk2 BFK Roof detail

Benn

Hi all,

I'm after some info on the positions of the vents and other items on the roof of a Mk2/a BFK coach for a modelling conversion project please.
I'm guessing that the vents over the compos are the same as what they would be on the FK, and hoping that the same applies to the vents over the guards area, but the bit I'm struggling with are the items over the toilet.

If anyone has a drawing or something that would be very helpful! I've looked online and through the Harris book, and there's interior and side views aplenty, but nothing that gives any solid info on the positions of things on the roof - typical.

Cheers

On 23/03/2024 at 21:56, BernardTPM said:

Here's the roof vent arrangement:

Mk2-BFK.jpg.bc9f5f6358a083b8551f521cd09e3b55.jpg

b = roof ends painted blue (Mk.2/2a)

v - domed vent

t = toilet vent

You could also use the old Tri-ang Hornby/Hornby Mk.2 BFK as a visual guide.

Hi Bernard,

Thanks for that, that will help me.

Do you happen to have anything with any measurements on for the positions of the vents vs the bodyside, such as alignment with windows etc. by any chance? I'm hoping that I can get something with measurements on so that I can pin-point exactly where on the roof (how far up from the gutters the vents are etc.) these vents need to be. Ideally, I don't really want to use a model as reference, but I might have to if nothing turns up....

Another bit that I'm struggling to work out is the bit above the toilet (see picture below), there's another 'item' next to the toilet vent which I'm not actually sure what it is (and I'm not actually sure what I'm going to use to represent it just yet, but I'll work on that...).

image.png.b32be5d55046e5f79ce6801e22c846f6.png

Thanks

If the conversion is to be based on the current Mk.2 Farish by Bachmann coaches I would use the same offsets from the centre line or it will look odd in a rake. There was extensive research done at the time by Colin Allbright so they're pretty accurate. The pairs of in-line vents over the compartments do centre on the windows. The vents at the luggage end and over the guard's compartment will be the same on BFK and BSO as the same body shell was used.

As for the toilet, the nearer of those two fittings (on the centre-line) is original, but I'm afraid I don't know when the other, larger one was fitted.

For the toilet fittings the larger disc with a pip on top is the water filler cover. These roof fillers are mounted on the centre line and were discontinued part way through the Mk2E build. The small pipe in front of it is a breather pipe.

38 minutes ago, Flood said:

... the larger disc with a pip on top is the water filler cover. These roof fillers ... were discontinued part way through the Mk2E build. ...

I'd question that : All BR Standard coaches followed the Bulleid style in having platform-level filler pipes ( hence the breather ) .... any thoughts of filling from the top would have been quashed with the spread of overhead knitting and well nigh impossible without end steps & grab handles.

1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

I'd question that : All BR Standard coaches followed the Bulleid style in having platform-level filler pipes ( hence the breather ) .... any thoughts of filling from the top would have been quashed with the spread of overhead knitting and well nigh impossible without end steps & grab handles.

All valid points.

I must admit it was more of an assumption on my part. It obviously relates to the toilet as Mk2Z and Mk2A TSOs only have one at the toilet end whereas the FO and FK stock and Mk2B, 2C, 2D and some Mk2E TSOs have one above the toilets at each end.

It will be down to the build drawings to hopefully find the answer, or possibly someone who worked regularly on the stock in the late 60s/ early 70s.