Heljan. Newton Chambers car transporters.

TrickyMicky

Firstly, I am a 76 year old beginner, learning fast, BUT!  I have a selection of locos/rolling stock/goods wagons etc.  I am having problems with the Newton Chambers transporters reluctance to negotiate even a reasonable curve. I normally use a Gresley Pacific, 3 MK1 coaches, and the transporters on the rear. All negotiate the curve safely until the transporters. Having studied them closely, I find they have a very limited movement on the bogies caused by them fouling the lower body section along with the small yellow tie-down eyes at the corners of the bodies. Am I the only one?  Beautiful pieces of kit, nut a lot of money for a static display.  Regards, Mike.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Not uncommon with RTR OO product, and you are going to have to make your own decisions about necessary modification. Before going any further, do these vehicles get around the troublesome curve(s) individually?

If they will, then that points at an interaction between the couplings as the root cause of the problem. Not having seen these models yet*, I cannot advise, but Heljan have shown a tendency to have the coupler mountings less than ideally placed.

If they still derail operated individually, then you are looking at making clearance for more bogie swing,  ideally out of sight  on the inside of the  fixed structure on the model in the location(s) you have identified. Sometimes a better option is to cut off a detail piece and mount it further outboard, which of course needs consideration of fouling fixed layout structure, and that the part can be strongly re-attached - though we are well equipped with good plastic solvent cemnents nowadays.

*(I am waiting for the Bachmann release to make a comparison before purchase.)

I have a set of three which negotiate 3' radius curves with no problem.

I presume all three have the problem on your curved track, as there may be damage or misplaced detail parts fouling on one or more.  What is the radius of your curves, most manufacturers recommend second radius minimum, This is usually about 17.25ins (44cm).

I believe the Bachmann ones may be the same models but sold under the EFE brand. 

The Hymek and Clayton diesel locos appeared this way.

5 minutes ago, jimwal said:

I believe the Bachmann ones may be the same models but sold under the EFE brand. 

The EFE ones are a completely different model to the Heljan ones.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Flood said:

The EFE ones are a completely different model to the Heljan ones.

Thanks, your'e right. Just looked at the relevent thread for the first time!

• RMweb Gold
On 23/03/2024 at 21:10, TrickyMicky said:

Firstly, I am a 76 year old beginner, learning fast, BUT!  I have a selection of locos/rolling stock/goods wagons etc.  I am having problems with the Newton Chambers transporters reluctance to negotiate even a reasonable curve. I normally use a Gresley Pacific, 3 MK1 coaches, and the transporters on the rear. All negotiate the curve safely until the transporters. Having studied them closely, I find they have a very limited movement on the bogies caused by them fouling the lower body section along with the small yellow tie-down eyes at the corners of the bodies. Am I the only one?  Beautiful pieces of kit, nut a lot of money for a static display.  Regards, Mike.

Just tried my 3 car set (Hattons closing sale impulse purchase) both hauled and pushed over 36 inch minimum curves and Peco large radius points without issues.  

• Informative/Useful 1