Un named layout, based on a 1960s branch line 00

Hi everyone so currently I’m beginning to start my layout, it’s a 00 and will be set in 1960, old school analogue operation, I have got a load of wills kits and so far the seem ok, hopefully I’ll be able to finish to a high standard, my layout is built on the scale model scenery bbo17 baseboards and is 1102 x 250 x 221, I have a branchline diorama in my head, there was someone on here who had made a small branchline, with coal yard at the left and station on the right going into a tunnel/ bridge but can’t remember the layout name, I know they had used scalescenes for everything, if anyone could jog my memory that would be very helpful, tunnel lane models greslington is also an inspirational layout

IMG_7278.jpeg

IMG_7277.jpeg

IMG_7276.jpeg

IMG_7275.jpeg

IMG_7274.jpeg

Edited by Nicholas C
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Nicholas C said:

I have a branchline diorama in my head, there was someone on here who had made a small branchline, with coal yard at the left and station on the right going into a tunnel/ bridge but can’t remember the layout name, I know they had used scalescenes for everything, if anyone could jog my memory that would be very helpful 

That could be me! 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Nicholas C said:

No plans to put it up, but I definitely think it looks better raised, sorry John it wasn’t you, but the layouts are definitely good and inspiring 

Thats ok - I cant claim the set-up to be unique! 

Beginning to paint the layout, I have decided to make it a bit too simple, it will now be one track, no points, but will have signals and signal box as well a station, the signals will indicate that there is a junction further up

IMG_7311.jpeg

IMG_7310.jpeg

• Like 5

So I have decided with space constraint s, to add station, signal box and an engine shed will be pushing it so have opted for an extension off 555mm to give me a little more flexibility as the layout is only 225mm wide, can anyone recommend some micro layouts that are epic to give me some idea?

My go to epic is Portwey by Julian .  Small simple but very effective.  A search on micro layout forum here should find it.  There is another Portwey that is diesel based so that should allow you to differentiate.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

On the backscene…..first, don’t be too hasty. If you intend to add lighting or restrict the view by having a picture frame approach (having something along the “top” at the front) the bubbles might not be as visible.

If you do go again I would only glue as little as you can. Along the top edge with a narrow line and down the vertical join. Depending on the scenery, you might not need to glue at the bottom…..or it might be covered….so don’t worry if it bubbles.

It is a good idea to put a radius in the corner….as you have above. You might need a little glue there to keep it secure….but again think about how your terrain will meet the backscene…it will help you keep the glue to a minimum.

Bottom line is you will get some bubbles, so be prepared to hide, or draw attention away.

Regards

James

With paper backscenes you want to be really careful applying them, just like you would do a phone screen protector. I find using as little glue as possible (but using a strong glue like wood glue or a high quality pva) and using a credit card or ruler to smooth out the air bubbles as you go. Perhaps sanding back some of the gloss paint on the backscene boards would give the glue a bit more purchase too? Looks good as is currently though.

Looking good so far.. I would agree with James though and go with the picture frame effect for a layout of this size.. Such as shown here, forcing a viewpoint and adding lighting makes a huge difference. Also make sure your landscape isnt all flat.. As you have already laid the track on the base you could take the other route and build up a little land at the front.

PXL_20240403_131254452.jpg

Edited by Ighten
  • Like 4