Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby R3460 Wheel-Set...

Tried all the usual suspects for spares... I have a Hornby 4F arriving (First and Last) but nobody has a wheel-set.    All I want to do is get rid of the stupid traction tyre wheel(s) and fit Normal wheels in place, thereof.

Any beneficial ideas would be greatly appreciated...many thanks.

Because it is tender drive, you will need to have metal tyred wheelsets with the gears on the back. Possibly can be achieved by scrounging around s/h for the centre wheelsets and substituting these if they have the gear mouldings, or swapping the  tyres from these onto the two powered tender axle's wheel centres, assuming these will fit.

With a past production stretching back near 50 years in various hands there should be s/h availability; but really someone who has tried this is needed, to advise on practical feasibility

Far simper solution, send the item back, and buy the Bachmann 4Fmodel instead. Loco driven, no traction tyres, and much superior all around.

Thanks for the response but......

NO...!!    Hornby R3460 is Loco'-Drive... Hornby changed in about 2011 from Tender to Loco'.

I purchased the model at a good price and, whilst I have the Bachmann model x 4/5, the Hornby model is a lot cheaper, can be refined, and has a superior motor...it also has better pulling-power than the Bachmann class 66!

• Informative/Useful 1

I and others have successfully replaced the tyred wheels on the Hornby loco drive 4F. It runs very nicely and stills hauls a surprising amount.  The details are on a thread on the NewRailwayModellers forum.  Hopefully this link will work https://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?p=641441&hilit=Hornby+4f+tyres+wheels+rim#p641441 .

If it doesn't, the thread is entitled "Hornby 4Fs?" dated 2017.

• Informative/Useful 1

The Hornby 4F I bought some years ago didn't have traction tyres though the 2P 4-4-0 did.

Both locos share similar motors and drive set-ups.

In their Airfix/Mainline days the tender drives were identical.

17 hours ago, westernfan said:

Probably due to the traction tyres. Will it be as good without them?

To be honest, from the conversions that I have done over the years, I have found very little difference.

16 hours ago, jimwal said:

The Hornby 4F I bought some years ago didn't have traction tyres though the 2P 4-4-0 did.

Both locos share similar motors and drive set-ups.

In their Airfix/Mainline days the tender drives were identical.

If they share the same wheels with the 2P 4-4-0 then I'm in luck!

17 hours ago, GeraldH said:

I and others have successfully replaced the tyred wheels on the Hornby loco drive 4F. It runs very nicely and stills hauls a surprising amount.  The details are on a thread on the NewRailwayModellers forum.  Hopefully this link will work https://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?p=641441&hilit=Hornby+4f+tyres+wheels+rim#p641441 .

If it doesn't, the thread is entitled "Hornby 4Fs?" dated 2017.

Thank you, appreciated... I should be able to do that quite easily.