Stepping up to 0 gauge

Hi all

I have touched on this before, but although I have a 12’ x 9’  x 3’ continuous layout in 00 gauge, whenever I go to shows / exhibitions I am drawn to the 0 gauge stuff. 

I have always wanted to model the gauge but have always been put off by all the usual excuses. Size available and cost

Can anyone advise me how to have the confidence to make the switch ?

Have I enough room available ?

All advice extremely welcome

Cheers

john

Agree with Nick and his work is very inspiring.  My layout is somewhat bigger at 21' long.  There are many examples of small layouts here.  Go for it!

By the way, I did 00 for 30 years then switched to 0 when Dapol started producing affordable and excellent models.  Best decision I have ever made.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

I have 0,5" and have access to 12" to the foot(steam and diesel).Guess that's the best of all worlds,But 0 is cheaper than the rest.Don't mess around,go for it.

Phil

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Have a look at Andy Peters’ @Andrew P Seven Mills Sidings layout for an example of what will fit in 12’ in O.

This layout has now been resurrected as Hirst Sidings having changed hands a couple of times.

Depends what you want. This layout has lots of potential for interesting shunting / loco movements.

You won’t get a roundy roundy in your space but you can get a very good shunting or shed layout in.

There are plenty of other good examples on RMWeb, just have a search.

Edited by GWR57xx
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

O gauge in 4' x 1' - Cambridge sidings  - my O gauge micro which is great fun to operate!

The senior scale has really bitten me, its so solid and you really feel you are building something when assembling kits, etc.

For the last few years, all my layouts have been 4' x 1' micros with plans for OO diesel depot and branch terminus micros to be built in the next couple of years.

Edited by 08221
  • Like 1

I modelled in OO gauge for many years and started playing with building some O gauge kits a few years ago. Now I am completely bitten by the O gauge bug and it is the best modelling decision I made. I have been slowly selling off my OO gauge stock ever since. I also agree with Nick - O gauge is not that much more expensive - I have found I buy less items and spend more time on building/detailing the models I have. The temptation for me in O gauge was the greater detail - and after I built my first wagon kit (Parkside Grampus) - I was completely hooked.

I have a 5ft micro-layout under construction and whilst small, I still get endless pleasure trundling locomotives up and down it/shunting wagons, etc. The sheer size of the O gauge models makes them look much more convincing to my eye when they are placed on the layout.

My advice would give O gauge a try!!  The 7mm section of RMweb is very friendly and supportive - and there is always advice when you get stuck!

best

Chris

• Like 3

For a given space, the cost in pretty much any gauge will be comparable, as the scale goes up, the amount of track, points and stock required to fill it goes down.  And, if you build your own, the enjoyment, and time taken per kit, goes up.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Take a look at my Puzzel Yard layout.

The track plan was copied from one of Andy Peters' layouts and provides endless fun if you like shunting. I had about two dozen wagons and a couple of locos on it and operated it as a shunting puzzle (hence the name).

A quick Excel spreadsheet to randomise the wagon placement is all you need for hours of fun. 

• Like 1

Thank you all for your replies and advice, it seems that the hardest thing is to actually make the decision. Once made you’ve all made the right decision

I’m off to the York exhibition tomorrow, so temptation will be all over again.

I have 33 loco’s in 00 gauge on a layout that don’t dislike for a minute, but the temptation will always be there

Another consideration that’s muddying the water is that I’d have to offload the 00 stock to fund the new project

Trouble is, you virtually have to give them away

A shop will give you next to nothing for them, and robbing E Bay nick 12% off your total selling + postage total

Decisions, Decisions !!

I modelled 00 for 30 odd years and have been exhibiting since 2002 with various 00 layouts. Since moving to 0 gauge I can safely say I will never build another 00 layout again. In fact I am just starting the boards for my second 0 gauge exhibition layout which will be only 5ft x 2ft secenic.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, DevilsAdvocate said:

Thank you all for your replies and advice, it seems that the hardest thing is to actually make the decision. Once made you’ve all made the right decision

I’m off to the York exhibition tomorrow, so temptation will be all over again.

I have 33 loco’s in 00 gauge on a layout that don’t dislike for a minute, but the temptation will always be there

Another consideration that’s muddying the water is that I’d have to offload the 00 stock to fund the new project

Trouble is, you virtually have to give them away

A shop will give you next to nothing for them, and robbing E Bay nick 12% off your total selling + postage total

Decisions, Decisions !!

If you do go for it, make sure the stock you want is available to buy either in kit or rtr form, and if kit, are you confident enough in your abilities to build them?

If selling your stock on eBay, just start the auction at the minimum you are willing to accept after fees have been taken off.  eBay is the cheapest way to sell, and has the largest audience.

Hi all

I’ve been to the York show today and spent all my time there talking to both 0 gauge modellers and retailers, and I think I’m going to go for it. I have 12ft in length to play with, with a width of 2ft to 4ft if required. Ample room for a depot layout which is what I would want. I haven’t spoken to a single person, nor read a single reply from the experts that you all are that has regretted the move up.

Most admitted today that it’s about making the initial move, making the decision . Once that decision has been made just get on with it and see what develops. I’ve seen plenty of 7mm layouts today and the loco’s are superb with great detail and the choices available nowadays are far better than they were let’s say 20 yrs ago.

They have put me on to Ellis Clark in Skipton, who they say will give me a fair price for my existing stock so I’ll give him a call for starters. E Bay is always an option, but 12% commission does sting a bit, but we’ll see.

So, a new venture begins !!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

On 29/03/2024 at 17:34, DevilsAdvocate said:

Once made you’ve all made the right decision

Albeit you are asking people who have stuck with it! Andy Peters' who's layout was quoted above as an example of what you can do, sold up and moved back to OO. 

Best advice is to buy a few things to try, perhaps second hand, and you can always sell them on again. Don't sell your favourite OO stuff immediately and you derisk the decision.

Ebay generally have low fee weekends so you don't need to pay anything like 12% and clearly a dealer is going to offer less than they think they will get anyway. You are paying them for convenience though and in bulk that may be worth it, especially if you can negotiate some part exchange. 

• Like 2

The thing with 0 gauge is that the stock has mass so it looks more realistic than 4 mm stock when it moves. Also you are closer in so feel more involved with the scene. Few people have room for a continuous circuit so layouts tend to be out and back, but as has been shown above there can be a lot of operating potential. There are many ingenious track plans out there, the main problem settling on one. So if you want a change from watching 4mm models making endless loops then 0 gauge is definitely the way to go. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thank you all for the continuous opinion and advice, it’s all helpful

I have 32,  00 loco’s that i will need to offload, as if / when i make the jump, i will need the income obtained to somewhat fund the future 0 gauge plans

Some of those i will keep as they are Ltd editions and i don’t want to part with them

I will call Ellis Clark on Tuesday, as he comes recommended for fair quotes for taking stock off your hands.

It says he will come to you to quote if required, but I’m  sure that won’t come cheap, but a day in Skipton  will be ok as i will be able to see what he has in stock

• Like 1