(Steam era) Banker sheds/depots

There were three banking locations in Wigan, up to the end of steam around 1967 when Springs Branch closed to steam. All locos from Springs Branch or Wigan L&Y Prescott St sheds.

WCML North Wigan NW to Srandish Jcn, a few freight trains banked usually by the Wigan NW station pilot, Jinty or Black 5 etc

Whelley Loop (Wigan NW Avoiding line) Northbound Bamfurlong to Roundhouse sidings, Whelley, sometimes on up to Standish Jcn. Usually a Black 8 or 5 or a WD 2-8-0.

Pemberton Lop Line (L&Y Wigan Wallgate avoiding line Hindley - Pemberton) bankers from Westwood Park west to Orrell on the coal trains bound for Aintree Liverpool. Usually a 4F 0-6-0 Tender loco. This ended around 1964

1200px-Boar's_Head,_Haigh,_Hindley,_Pemb

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 29/03/2024 at 17:44, Compound2632 said:

Rowsley, up to Peak Forest.

I'm wondering if it would be quicker to list the sheds that never had any banking duties?

In the case of the S&D that is certainly true. (I'm guessing Highbridge and Wells didn't have any banking duties)

• Like 1

Hornsey used to provide bankers at Farringdon Widened Lines to help goods trains up from the widened lines to Holborn Viaduct, and if required from Kings Cross Met/Widened Lines up Hotel Curve at Kings Cross. In later years if was the usual 350 shunter

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, roythebus1 said:

Hornsey used to provide bankers at Farringdon Widened Lines to help goods trains up from the widened lines to Holborn Viaduct, and if required from Kings Cross Met/Widened Lines up Hotel Curve at Kings Cross. In later years if was the usual 350 shunter

At an earlier period, I believe there was a Midland banker - so Kentish Town is in for the count.

• Like 1