(Steam era) Banker sheds/depots

Does anybody know of any depots/sheds banking engines would be stabled at?
I know of the ones for the Lickey, Shap and Beattock inclines (Bromsgrove, Tebay and Beattock stations respectively) but more examples would be welcomed.

Edited by WilltheMechanist

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Newton Abbott, Abergavenny Junction, Neath Court Sart, Landore, Chalford (Gloucester outstation), Severn Tunnel Jc, Aberbeeg, Radyr, Camden, Skipton, no doubt many more.  Work at these sheds was not specifically or uniquely banking duties of course, but there were banking duties nonetheless, and even Tebay and Bromsgrove had other duties besides the banking they were famous for, local trips, pilot, and pickup work.  Beattock provided the loco for the Moffat branch.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1

Engines from Stirling shed were used to bank heavy trains towards Dunblane.

Trains were regularly banked out of Glasgow Queen Street in steam days. Engines were usually from Eastfield shed.

I have seen a train being banked up to the flyover close to Bescot shed, presumably by an engine from that shed. I don’t know how common that was - the particular train was struggling, and it may just have been a one-off.

Trains could be banked from Hawick to Whitrope by engines from Hawick shed. There’s a topic about that on here:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/forums/topic/125956-banking-hawick-to-whitrope/

Edited by pH
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Rowsley, up to Peak Forest.

I'm wondering if it would be quicker to list the sheds that never had any banking duties?

Edited by Compound2632
  • Round of applause 1

Exmouth Junction, for the bank from Exeter St Davids to Central,

Barnstaple Junction, for the bank up to Mortehoe & Woolacombe (from both directions)

Taunton, for Wellington bank. 

cheers

Tyne Dock, for the 9F bankers on the Consett ore trains.

Newton Heath, for the Miles Platting bankers out of Manchester Victoria.

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Wentworth junction on the worsbrough branch was the home of the U1 garrett Monday to Friday it only went back to its parent shed mexbough at the weekends

I believe wentworth junction was classed as a sub shed of mexbough even though there was no actual shed just a siding and water tower 

the banking locos getting their coal from the nearby wentworth silkstone colliery by using their loading shute

Edited by Bri.dolan

6 hours ago, Cwmtwrch said:

Wath, the home of the Gresley U1 until electrification.

And the EM1 (later class 76) used as bankers on Worsborough)

7 hours ago, pH said:

I have seen a train being banked up to the flyover close to Bescot shed, presumably by an engine from that shed. I don’t know how common that was - the particular train was struggling, and it may just have been a one-off.

Not a one off - I also saw this - the line concerned was the steeply graded and sharply curved link from the Bescot to Walsall line, round on to the South Staffs line towards Wednesbury, Dudley and Stourbridge Junction. I think the train loco was a Stanier 8F as probably was the banker. The junction for this line was under the M6 flyover - which was built in isolation at the time of electrification - the approaches were built slightly later.

Additionally, Bescot provided bankers (class 25s from those generally available on shed) for trains travelling up grade, south towards Soho junction from Perry Barr junctions, through Handsworth Park - the trains were held at a signal just south of the short tunnel under what was the Endwood public house, Hamstead Road - possibly the starting signal for the erstwhile Handsworth Wood station (closed immediately post war) - when the banker(s) arrived at the rear of the train (out of sight beyond the tunnel and the curve) they communicated with the train loco (s) by sounding horns. This must have happened in steam days also, presumably?

Edited by MidlandRed
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, MidlandRed said:

Not a one off - I also saw this - the line concerned was the steeply graded and sharply curved link from the Bescot to Walsall line, round on to the South Staffs line towards Wednesbury, Dudley and Stourbridge Junction. I think the train loco was a Stanier 8F as probably was the banker.

From memory, and looking at my notebook, I think the train engine was an 8F. However, the banker was probably 44766, a double-chimney Stanier 5, which was shedded at Bescot at the time (January 1965).

• Thanks 1

A major reason for the existence of Blair Atholl shed on the Highland Railway was to provide bankers for the northbound climb to Druimuachdar summit. 

• Agree 1