Basecoat paints and techniques?

I'm planning to get some paints mixed for airbrushing and brushing, learning how to paint models to a high standard and putting together a compressor setup etc.  

There seems to be a choice of practically any finish available from paint mixers, so I am guessing as to what to get.

From following what I have seem in military modelling videos, I guess a primer, then an acrylic base coat of some sort, then decals, then a clear acrylic matt varnish to seal, followed by oil/enamel washes if desired, maybe some weathering powders and finally a varnish to finish.

What isn't apparent is the base coat to use, should it be gloss, satin or matt. 

Can someone please advise of what base coats to use?

If I were to order a paint base colour mix, what should I ask for regarding application to regular plastic/brass models?

https://oval.co.uk/shop/allis-chalmers-orange-m22-v1-2/

I've been painting models for over 30 years in 00, and lately in 0.

My methods are simple and suit my needs.  If you were painting professionally or for museum use, you might need to get more sophisticated.

Painting starts even before the model assembly is done because some areas may not be accessible afterwards, so you need to watch for that.

Once ready for paint, I use either grey or red oxide primer as an undercoat.  These are widely available at DIY and car places.  Use grey for top colours like black, green, blue etc.  Use red oxide for top colours like red, brown etc.  Leave the primer to cure at least over night.

I don't usually use an airbrush for the top colour, but when I do, I generally use acrylic (lots of people swear by enamels so it really is a personal thing). 

For the top coat of goods wagons, I'm happy to brush paint.  My wagons all get weathered so, to me, no need to get fussy about exact shades.

Coaching stock is a different matter.  You need to get the right colour and will get best finish with an airbrush (although I have managed to paint my 0 gauge coaching stock by brush and acrylic paint to a high standard).  I cheat and use lining transfers, which it has to be said are not easy.

After you are happy with your wagon or coach, spray on a coat of gloss varnish.  Lots of brands out there, I used to use Testors Glosscote but now I find Krylon works for me.

Transfers should be applied to gloss surface (matte has microscopic pits that make it hard for a transfer to stick).  Once the transfer is on and dry, spray on a coat of matte varnish.

John

• Informative/Useful 1

You need to be more specific about what it is you want to paint - loco(steam, diesel, electric)/coach/wagon , plastic/brass/nickel silver/resin, company/livery, weathered or not. Your question cannot be answered without this knowledge.

Ian R

13 minutes ago, Ian Rathbone said:

You need to be more specific about what it is you want to paint - loco(steam, diesel, electric)/coach/wagon , plastic/brass/nickel silver/resin, company/livery, weathered or not. Your question cannot be answered without this knowledge.

Ian R

I see you are a pro painter, complete polar opposite of the spectrum lol.  

Ok, it is currently for repainting detailed commercial plastic bodied North American N scale 1:160 models of Milwaukee road prototype Diesel locomotives.  There are also some steam examples that I will gradually detail all of them to build a roster of locomotives to run on a future layout.     

In time I aim to be good at painting any model, and right now am researching accumulating a lot of stuff for the application, and some skills.  I aim to have a fine art approach to everything.

There will also be etched brass signals, period automobiles, wood and plastic structure kits, hand built track, the works.  I'm going to use weathering, unless I have a fresh from the shops example such as a demonstrator or museum piece.

There appear to be variations in the colours that are hotly disputed by many, but being a mere 6000 miles from the nearest relevant museum I have to rely on books, the internet and 'artistic licence'.   

There are some commercial railroad hobby paints available but not a complete range, only available for airbrush and are pricey so am investigating mixing colours and formulations from auto paint stores, other hobby brands and so on. 

I found this book by Ammo Mig explained things clearly, including base coats, obviously promoting their products, they do a large range of video tutorials as well, I order from them regularly with good service, from Spain to the UK.

AMMO BOOK.jpg

Edited by fulton
correction

Hi I have found the Model Master enamel paints to be good for US use, and available over here too. The attached link, if I've made it work, is from the Microscale decal site and gives their interpretation of the best substitutes for the old and much missed Floquil range. I too use Halfords primers, they give a great finish. If you are using Microscale decals they are superb but do need a glossy finish to work at their best.

https://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/Floquil Color Chart.pdf

Edited by Barclay

Model Master Paints have been discontinued, but Badger and Tru-Color are available over here.

I'm reading from your posts that you are new to painting etc, if so, practice using a range of acrylics, enamel and (if using Tru-Color, Cellulose) on old scrap bodyshells.  I also read that you are aiming for a fine art approach, from my experience of spraying etc (over 40 years), aim lower otherwise you will be continually disappointed.  The whole painting process is quite involved and takes a lot longer than you'd expect, so preparation is key, as is cleanliness.

Use a matt basecoat, and experiment with different colours.  For Milwaukee Road orange and yellows I'd go with a red and white base respectively.  This will bring out the depth of colour which is then great for fading/weathering etc etc.  Halfords and Hycote grey, white and red primers are brilliant and very cost effective.

Good luck and share you progress!

13 hours ago, Smalltrainsgreatpains said:

Thank you for that.

Some stores say that it is the last in stock.

It does seem that range is on the way out? 

Curses - time to stock up !

19 hours ago, Smalltrainsgreatpains said:

Badger/MODELflex have a good range of paints, but I'm having difficulties finding a European suppler.  Maybe I am looking in the wrong places? 

Mech-Models do some Badger Paints...

https://mech-models.com/shop/ols/products/badger-acrylic-paint-airbrush-ready-colors-cnw-dark-green-cnw-new-zeto-yellow-cnw-old-yellow-milwaukee-orange-milwaukee-maroon-milwaukee-brown-milwaukee-grey-light-midwest-railroads-set-3-1709

This set includes the Milwaukee colours you have been asking about