Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

LMS Colours.

Hi Guys, I know there are people out there who can answer this question....I am trying to find out if the Maroon colour,used on many LMS buildings/delivery vehicles etc. is the  same 'Maroon' used by the original old Midland Railway. Thanks in anticipation.

The Midland and the LMS both referred to the colour as "Crimson Lake" but it was, essentially, the same as B.R. "Maroon" allowing for variations in the colour of the undercoat and coats of varnish used.  The locos and carriages used the same Crimson Lake so I think it is safe to assume that the buildings and delivery vehicles used the same.

Ray

6 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

There are people out there who will happily insist that the Midland & LMS NEVER used maroon .... but Crimson Lake ................ which looks sort of maroon-ish to the rest of us ! 🙄

Lol.....that's why I put 'maroon' in inverted comma's. 😂😂

Rolling stock went through the works paint shop in a well-controlled environment and the final top coat was subject to a few layers of varnish.  That also applied to road motor vehicles, although they would be bought in - possibly already painted to customer specification?

Station buildings were painted by teams of blokes in overalls using stepladders, so you can't expect quite the same finish even if the colour is the same.   I doubt the overall quality of their work was supervised quite as thoroughly.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

And also remember that red has a tendency to fade more noticeably than most other colours.

Except blue.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1