Saturn 4 ultra - I just bought one

As the topic says, I bought an ultra 4  in  tonights midnights pre-release.

I already have a Saturn 8k and a saturn 3 Ultra so I'm not sure why  I need this but I liked the camera idea and the vat that tilts and I have a bit of a disposable income due to living in Australia so why not? 

I'll report back when it turns up and let you know if its much of an advance on the Ultra 3, or even my Saturn 2 8k, which is an awesome printer and the one I'd recommend to anyone who was getting into resin printing at the moment.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Does look very interesting. I need to work out if the marked reduction in Z height is a problem for anything I print. 

as ever with us it’s a gamble on pre-ordering and getting stung with taxes versus just waiting until Amazon have stock. The prices are compelling though. 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, njee20 said:

Does look very interesting. I need to work out if the marked reduction in Z height is a problem for anything I print. 

as ever with us it’s a gamble on pre-ordering and getting stung with taxes versus just waiting until Amazon have stock. The prices are compelling though. 

Yay for living here in that I don't get hit with any kind of tax issue , and the postage from China is usually free, though this time its $20 or so. 

This was purely a spur of the moment purchase because I am perfectly happy with my Ultra 3. 

And when I bought THAT, I was perfectly happy with my Saturn 2 8K.   I guess I am just a sucker for "BUY NOW"   buttons!

Edited by monkeysarefun

• RMweb Premium

Haha, they’re very tempting! I eschewed the 3 as the 2 is great, but I feel I may ‘need’ a 4! Look forward to hearing about it either way 👍

• Friendly/supportive 1

13 hours ago, jaym481 said:

Are they shipping immediately? The Elegoo Canada "store" says "shipping June/July." 

June is the date here too, although when I ordered my Saturn 3 Ultra in the pre-sale last year the shipping was estimated to be two months time  but I got an email saying it was on its way about 2 weeks after I put the order in so who knows? 

(When checking that I saw that I paid  US$499US for the Saturn 3 Ultra, compared to US$399 for the Saturn 4....)

Some interesting features that I would love to have, but not sure I can justify...

Looks like it has a PFA film rather than ACF. Does that indicate PFA is superior?

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, F2Andy said:

Some interesting features that I would love to have, but not sure I can justify...

Looks like it has a PFA film rather than ACF. Does that indicate PFA is superior?

The Saturn Ultra 3 had ACF film as-shipped. It is more rubbery looking and quite cloudy. Its apparent main reason for being is that it allows faster print times (though you need high-speed resin).  The disadvantage of it that I found is that it is less hard wearing than PFA and mine got a small tear in it within  the first week. As a stopgap I took the PFA equipped  vat from the Saturn 2 and used that as is, since its a straight swap - and have been using it without issues for the last 12 months. I don't need fast print times so the ACF is not needed and I've not bothered ordering replacement ACF.

Additionally, its been claimed that ACF prints are less detailed than ones done with PFA and I definitely found that out when I bought an  Anycubic M5s or whatever it was called that  used ACF film.  The prints were markedly  inferior to what the Saturn 2 had given me even though it was 12K vs 8K, so I sent it back and got the Ultra 3 instead.  I didn't do enough high detail prints on the Ultra 3 before the FEP got damaged so I can't say if that printer has the same print quality  issues using ACF,  but youtube reviews I've seen suggest it doesn't.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Informative/Useful 1

How much does the vat move on the Saturn 4 Ultra? I'm putting a heater band on my Saturn 8k, and wonder if I were to try the same on the 4 Ultra would it foul the mechanism.

31 minutes ago, jaym481 said:

How much does the vat move on the Saturn 4 Ultra? I'm putting a heater band on my Saturn 8k, and wonder if I were to try the same on the 4 Ultra would it foul the mechanism.

This guy has the same issue, looks like it wont work (Starting at the 11:10 mark if it doesn't jump there already).

Although I live in Sydney it can get cold downstairs in my printing room in winter - down to 17 or so. I bought a small heater from the supermarket for about 25 dollars and sit that beside the printer when I need to print at those times.  

I saw that video, and he mentions that the Thermal Vat Band which is a strip of heating elements inside a thin (less than 1mm I think) case that adheres to the tank might fit. The "band" is 1" wide, so if the tank has 1" of the side that doesn't decend into the chassis with the tilt, it just might work. My basement printer room has the same issue as you - in winter the temperature gets down to 17C and sometimes lower. I also have a portable heater for the room, but I don't think it's adequate to get the resin in the vat up to 25C or more. I have a Thermal Vat Band on order for my Saturn 8K, so I'll have a better idea of size etc. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

He also said a chamber heater wouldn't work but I bought one a few weeks back and it is giving very good results in my Saturn 2, heating the build plate and the resin to above 25 degrees within about 20 minutes and then, because it has a thermostatic switch, it turns off most of the time. I start printing and when the print has started the UV light underneath heats the resin quite well and the heater hardly gets used.

I am considering a purchase of the Saturn 4 as large loco and carriage body parts being released more effectively, appeals.

Cheers, Ian

• Like 1

It looks like there's room for a chamber heater, in fact Elegoo plan to bring one out specifically for the Saturn 4 soon. Which heater did you get @ianmaccormac? I may just go that route if I end up with the Saturn 4 as the replacement for my aging Saturn 8k (well, not that old, but I could do with a few of the ergonomic improvements of the 4.)

• RMweb Premium

Mini Heater for 3D Printer, HCSSZ Lightweight 3D Resin Printer Temperature Controller Heating Thermostat Temp Control with Activated Carbon Filter for LCD DLP 3D Printers

Brand: HCSSZ

Bought from Amazon. I thought about a slightly cheaper version of the same thing from AliExpress but needed it quicker as it was early January so paid the extra 8 pounds from Amazon. Working well.

Cheers, Ian

• Informative/Useful 1

Heres my heater and its approximate location when printing. Its probably not the most economical of solutions re power consumption but there's only about 2 months of the year that I need it and I only run it for the first 30 minutes or so of each print, once the bottom layer has stuck the rest goes ok.

image.png.39c44c367fd60e60e7f70d39cb16e772.png

After 5 years printing I finally discovered how to keep sticky resin fingers off of the printer cover - don't remove the plastic packing film it came wrapped in!!  (wont work for the Ultra 4 with its flippy cover though....)

• Like 1