Masking Tape

Hello all

Can anyone recommend a good, low tack masking tape for doing two colour liveries. I've got the remains of a Swiss Cellux roll of plastic tape I got from Bob Moore Engineering a number of years ago and it's fabulous. It creates a lovely crisp divide between colours and comes off perfectly cleanly leaving no residue at all. Unfortunately the Company appears to have become part of the Sellotape empire and they don't make it anymore. As an alternative I bought a roll of Eurostar tape purporting to be the same kind of thing. It was very sticky and left behind most of its adhesive on the model. Thinking it faulty I got Squires to send me another one...it's just as bad... Squires said they checked it before they sent it to me and this is how it is. Well it's hopeless. It leaves bright red gunky adhesive behind when you peel it off. After three hours on the model it was like handling wet Evo Stik contact adhesive. Terrible!angry.gif

Regards

Alan McMillan

Hi, Tamiya masking tape seems to be the most favoured on here. I've got some but not used it yet, bought on recommendations on here. I'm sure others will endorse it.

Rob

Thanks Rob for the tip. Could you possibly let me know how you get on with it?

Regards

Alan

Hi, Tamiya masking tape seems to be the most favoured on here. I've got some but not used it yet, bought on recommendations on here. I'm sure others will endorse it.

Rob

Used it for about ten years, been excellent every time. I normally hand paint and it's never removed a coat of paint I've applied it to. Once I masked over a water slide transfer in error and stuck it to the tape; merely dipped the tape in water to soften the glued surface, peeled off the transfer (it was a rectangular block so quite easy), reused the transfer and even the tape was reused once it had dried out.

One of my friends spray paints regularly and I've not heard him say he's had any problems.

I use Duck Masking Tape; cut it to the widths I need on either a piece of formica work surface or a piece of glass. Brand new blade will give a wonderfully sharp edge and once removed from the surface it seems to haver the right amount of 'stick' too. Plus this way it's a very cheap way to do things!

I do miss the thin tapes which Howes used to stock - they were very useful :(

• RMweb Premium

I do miss the thin tapes which Howes used to stock - they were very useful sad.gif

Where did that tape vanish too??? I originally used it (black if i remember correct with a yellow insert) Graham Shaw always used to stock it, expensive but great results. But the old saying - buy cheap buy twice, i learnt a few lessons from buying cheap masking tape in the early days of my spraying blink.gif

Anthony

I use Duck Masking Tape; cut it to the widths I need on either a piece of formica work surface or a piece of glass. Brand new blade will give a wonderfully sharp edge and once removed from the surface it seems to haver the right amount of 'stick' too. Plus this way it's a very cheap way to do things!

I do miss the thin tapes which Howes used to stock - they were very useful sad.gif

I tried Duck masking tape as a way of masking larger areas and I found that it left its adhesive behind in the same way as the Eurostar stuff does. Were using their blue paper tape?

Alan

I tried Duck masking tape as a way of masking larger areas and I found that it left its adhesive behind in the same way as the Eurostar stuff does. Were using their blue paper tape?

Did you 'de-tack' it first?

Archived