Let’s Talk TT

Peachy

Hello gang, myself and Greg from MacTrains were getting a little tired of the current batch of misinformation and opinions being peddled as “News” regarding TT120, so where better to start trying to get some proper information? 
We thought and interview with Martyn Weaver & Carl from Hornby. 
So here’s our latest episode of “Let’s talk TT” 

I promise it has some quite frank an honest answers… 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thank you @Peachy for sharing this here - in my view the Hornby team came across very well, and I found their candour when explaining the whys and wherefores of releases moving about particularly helpful.

I can see why there is such interest in the HST - I wonder if it almost resonates for those of us now in our mid 50’s with the kind of excitement the prototype launch had in the 1970s?  (exactly the kind of nostalgia for excitement that drew some of us towards the hobby in the first place, so we could relive happy memories in miniature).  Seeing full length sets in motion will really demonstrate the advantages of TT.  Perhaps, because it is double-ended, it will work in a way that a Pacific and a variable number of coaches doesn’t quite (however impressive that may be).

All good stuff.  Thanks, Keith.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

I thought it was a great interview Peachy and I’ve subscribed for your and Mactrains channels . Kudos to the Hornby team for taking the time to enguage with the modelling fraternity . I think we need more of this . I thought they were very open , particularly with tractive effort on some of the early Pacific’s and the issues you brought up on the oil tanks and the Stanier BG . Good they recognised the issues and seem to be working on rectifying them - bad luck if you bought the originals though ! While I get the point about how they were ok on test but tolerances in TT120 are so tight that a slight deviation in manufacturing made these wagons/coaches a little stiff to run , shouldn’t they have been tested more thoroughly first . And surely tolerances in N would be even tighter or is it that TT120 is true to scale with very little space between side frames and wheels ?

But generally very informative video . I liked the dis ussion on coreless motors , which hinted they are looking at a couple of really small locos in the future .

Good point on the 08 . I get why that and the OO version are not particularly cheap to produce .they never answered the point on the blue 08 disappearing from catalogue . I suspect it’s just sold out and they are not remaking within the time frame of new catalogue 

The HST is superb and I’m keeping an eye on “That Model Railway Guys “ new layout which he is building in 8ft by 2.5 ft to see if I might try something similar . While most people are looking at TT as minimal space layouts , I’m looking for something with a bit more operational interest .  Interesting comment from Martyn that the HST had sold particularly well and I think he made comment that they might look at re phasing things - instead off steam maybe big diesels leaping the queue .  To me TT120 would be ideal for multiple unit trains .  Maybe a Met Camm 101 ? But I’m wondering now if things like the 801 might accelerate in development and maybe even things like electro stars appear .

Great video . People interested in TT120 should certainly have a look . 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

I can see why there is such interest in the HST - I wonder if it almost resonates for those of us now in our mid 50’s with the kind of excitement the prototype launch had in the 1970s?

Just that exactly in my case. My first train set was a Hornby HST, 1st time I saw a real one was at Edinburgh Waverly, the same year, 1978.

New & exciting then, but when I realised they were killing off the Deltics I soon hated them!! But now years later, I contend that original blue/yellow livery was THE best they ever carried, bar none.

I'd prefer the TT120 blue/grey HST if it had the later cover over the roof front & exhausts & modified rear compartment - I would find it hard to resist that HST train set in that case, mostly for the pure nostalgia!!

As it is, I can resist... just about.

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

Just that exactly in my case. My first train set was a Hornby HST, 1st time I saw a real one was at Edinburgh Waverly, the same year, 1978.

New & exciting then, but when I realised they were killing off the Deltics I soon hated them!! But now years later, I contend that original blue/yellow livery was THE best they ever carried, bar none.

I'd prefer the TT120 blue/grey HST if it had the later cover over the roof front & exhausts & modified rear compartment - I would find it hard to resist that HST train set in that case, mostly for the pure nostalgia!!

As it is, I can resist... just about.

Exactly the same here F-UnitMad except in my case it was 2 HSTs sitting at Berwick Upon Tweed 1979. They were reversing there because of the tragic Penmanshiel tunnel collapse . But I was instantly struck by how modern they were with their sleek Mk3s and the paxman whine was something different . So I’d set up a layout to capture that . But like you hoping they release a blue/yellow one with roof baffles . Also when the 37 (and 47) come out , there will be enough depth of range to build a good 70/80s blue layout 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 2

@Legend & @F-UnitMad

That’s more like it! Thank you Gentleman…

I think the original HST’s certainly pluck a heart string amongst many of the 45-55 year olds (not exclusively of course) 

Those detail variations, which we all dream of, might be a few years in the offing though.
Which of course makes a nice little window for some of the small detailing cottage industry suppliers to take advantage of maybe?🤔 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, F-UnitMad said:

From what I've seen, the price of the full HST train set is very favourable compared to the price of the two Power Cars alone.

Absolutely, I can only assume that Hornby have made a conscious decision to subsidise the set prices as they are an excellent attractor to the scale. Having ordered both (the loco packs & the set) I personally don’t feel aggrieved or “ripped off”

I wanted a full HST train now and am quite happy to wait for November to receive a more economical costed set, which I’ll likely re-number or use the chassis to fit a 3d printed class 91 or some such.
The track will likely go in the spares box, the transformer likewise. The box will end up as coach box storage whilst doubling as workshop decoration. 
Oh and the extra coaches and the dummy will be thrown to my hungry pack of 08’s to play with. 

Edited by Peachy
Forgot to add something
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Peachy said:

Absolutely, I can only assume that Hornby have made a conscious decision to subsidise the set prices as they are an excellent attractor to the scale. Having ordered both (the loco packs & the set) I personally don’t feel aggrieved or “ripped off”

I wanted a full HST train now and am quite happy to wait for November to receive a more economical costed set, which I’ll likely re-number or use the chassis to fit a 3d printed class 91 or some such.
The track will likely go in the spares box, the transformer likewise. The box will end up as coach box storage whilst doubling as workshop decoration. 
Oh and the extra coaches and the dummy will be thrown to my hungry pack of 08’s to play with. 

Yeah I’m looking at the sound fitted set perhaps as a way of kicking off a layout in this scale . My loft layout has lots of old OO locos which I enjoy running . As well as my first dabble in TT120 it would get me into DCC sound  . 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/04/2024 at 14:55, Peachy said:

use the chassis to fit a 3d printed class 91 or some such.

Yes, I'm sure the HST bogie wheelbase has a lot of applications! Scratchbuilders are hungry for moving parts at the moment...

• Like 1