Simon Kohler Interview

MacTrains

First time posting chaps so be gentle!

Uploaded an hour long interview with Simon K this morning, and thought it may have some interest/appeal to folk on this forum. Very thankful for help with the interview from Chris at PeachyTT120. It does have mostly TT120 related stuff, being largely Simon's reaction to the April TT120 range launch, but also covers other significant areas as well with regards the wider hobby. 

Many thanks!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

A nice interview. I really enjoy your chats . It’s like talking model railways down the pub . 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 3

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Peachy said:

And he’s in…. TBH @MacTrains TT120 does seem a bit quiet around here. 
We’ll just have to wake them up! 🤣

That's the second time that you've stated that people should be discussing it more. Around here they have a habit of discussing what they want, when they want. To me, it looks like all you want to do is publicise your material here - rather than engage in dialogue (which there is plenty of in TT:120 topics).

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

That's the second time that you've stated that people should be discussing it more. Around here they have a habit of discussing what they want, when they want. To me, it looks like all you want to do is publicise your material here - rather than engage in dialogue (which there is plenty of in TT:120 topics).

My apologies if that’s seems what we’re up to. 
Honestly we’re just trying to open up the discussion. 

An interesting interview. I thought it was going off topic about the Beatles so I skipped that bit.

It looks like Margate's perception of what trains will sell has changed since Tri-ang introduced TT gauge. TT gauge steam was represented by the Southern and Western regions whereas TT:120 is represented by the LNER and LMS.  

I write updates on model railways for the Swanage Railway Magazine and I find it difficult to write anything about TT:120 that would interest the readers who are mainly interested in the Southern Region. It has not stopped me from putting in a brief mention as the Railway has had occasional visits from the Flying Scotsman and A4 Pacific locomotives.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Robin Brasher said:

An interesting interview. I thought it was going off topic about the Beatles so I skipped that bit.

It looks like Margate's perception of what trains will sell has changed since Tri-ang introduced TT gauge. TT gauge steam was represented by the Southern and Western regions whereas TT:120 is represented by the LNER and LMS.  

I write updates on model railways for the Swanage Railway Magazine and I find it difficult to write anything about TT:120 that would interest the readers who are mainly interested in the Southern Region. It has not stopped me from putting in a brief mention as the Railway has had occasional visits from the Flying Scotsman and A4 Pacific locomotives.

Not so much Margate's perception as SK's perception.  He is a self declared ECML pacific 'fan' so you get a new range that starts based on that because it suits him and - maybe - he also knows/believes it will sell.  Plus 'big engines' are more suitable early subjects for a new smaller scale.

• RMweb Gold

And also a result of having an accurate track gauge. FWIW, the rods on the Farish 08 also stick out a bit — and that where the track is narrower than (1:148) scale, though the discrepancy is less than in OO.

• Like 1