Signals for a single line junction

If you assume that the LH end of the Halt platform is the limit of passenger working, then there would be no need for a trap-point at the exit from the Coal Siding (you've not shown one anyway). Point 5 would not need a FPL, being on a goods-only line.

If you have the normal position of point 5 being set for the siding, then that could act as the trap to protect the Halt from goods traffic coming from the wharehouses, so you could omit trap 2 and move signal 1 to replace disc 4, leaving just disc 3 to read into the siding.

Signals 7 + 8 need to be on the Halt side of the level-crossing in order to protect that.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
On 27/04/2024 at 18:22, Michael Hodgson said:

T

This all agrees with Vol 14 of Pryer, diagram dated 1957.

It also says the Moorswater line was worked by wooden train staff until 1921 then worked as a siding.

Looe & Liskeard lines both worked by electric train staff, later change to Electric Key Token until 1964 when the section to Looe became wooden train staff,

3 signal (1 on Wikipedia diagram) was replaced by a disc in 1958

Spring points removed 1963

Box closed 1981

On 27/04/2024 at 18:56, RailWest said:

When the line to Looe was opened in 1901 the Liskeard Branch-Coombe Jcn-Looe sections were worked by Electric Train Tablet (as mentioned in the BoT Inspection Report and later operating instructions). Whether it was changed to ETS before eventually becoming EKT is unknown, but I've not come across any mention of it.

The April 1939 Appendix to the No. 6 Section Service Time Table sjhows both Liskeard - Coombe Jcn and Coombe Jcn - Liskeard Looe as worked by Electric Token

Edited by The Stationmaster
Location error correct4ed
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I'm going to be contrary here and say that Signal 1 would be better placed before the bridge, as otherwise the bridge will obscure the driver's view of it (unless it's a tall signal with a co-acting arm).

If the signal is before the bridge, there would likely be a white patch painted on the bridge's brickwork to make the signal arm easier to see, which I always think is a nice touch on a layout.

Hello everyone

I have re made the plan inline with your advice.

I am not sure where signal 1 should go.

garageplan.jpg.e3b913d4de2200ca043a1f99c5a4fade.jpg

Another quick question.

Would the warehouse points be operated from a ground frame as below, or by point levers by each point?

warehousepoints.jpg.77c43d285d41265b4048b03f39a9bee9.jpg

Thank you for your help.

Ken

1 hour ago, RJS1977 said:

I'm going to be contrary here and say that Signal 1 would be better placed before the bridge, as otherwise the bridge will obscure the driver's view of it (unless it's a tall signal with a co-acting arm).

If the signal is before the bridge, there would likely be a white patch painted on the bridge's brickwork to make the signal arm easier to see, which I always think is a nice touch on a layout.

That would indeed improve sighting, but it would not be provided at all, because as RailWest has said, the trap would (rather than could) be replaced by having 5 lie towards the siding, making 1 in its current position superfluous.  If the trap were left in situ, I see problems locking it in such a way that there isn't a risk that the trap could be moved under a train needing to shunt the kickback siding unless yet another signal were provided to protect the trap in the opposite direction.

Your lever numbering looks appropriate to the lever frame being at the window side of the box (the most usual arrangement) rather than the back wall.  I think it unlikely that 7 and its FPL would be combined on one lever unless it was a MR layout or a more modern isntallation with power-worked points.   I'm not sure about the 3-lever ground frame at the warehouses - I suspect you would be unlikely to work both ends of a run-round loop from a one GF.

• Agree 1

I would have expected everything in the warehouse area to be simply hand points, rather like (say) Wendfordbridge. After all, it's really only a goods yard at the end of a long(ish) siding  - just like Moorswater.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

The April 1939 Appendix to the No. 6 Section Service Time Table sjhows both Liskeard - Coombe Jcn and Coombe Jcn - Liskeard as worked by Electric Token

I think you meant Looe :-)

• Agree 1

IMHO no need for the LoPTW sign either - that's something of a 'modern' thing and in any case the fact that 15 has a ring indicates that the line is goods-only.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, RailWest said:

IMHO no need for the LoPTW sign either - that's something of a 'modern' thing and in any case the fact that 15 has a ring indicates that the line is goods-only.

It would also be implictly covered through things like drivers' route knowledge, documents such as WTT, Sectional Appendix.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, RailWest said:

1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

It would also be implictly covered through things like drivers' route knowledge, documents such as WTT, Sectional Appendix.

All of which is true, and for a passenger train the signalman wouldn't pull off 15 anyway; although ringed it's still a "Stop" signal.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Hello everyone

Thank you all for your help.

This is the plan:

warehousepoints.jpg.57c0112e7586fd777a83d52e8be5056d.jpg

I like this plan. It is simple but interesting.

The warehouse/goods yard would not need to be so complex. I could build it up as money allowed.

June is happy with her layout. And I can make her a signal box diagram now.

Thank you again for all your help.

Ken

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A minor point unrelated to signalling, but assuming you are fitting models of Williams (or similar) point levers, ones that you always pull in the same direction regardless of which way the points need to change, you've drawn the levers facing the wrong way. The shunter needs to see facing train movements when changing points, so the position of the lever at rest should be towards the toe end of the points, so the shunter facing the point lever is also facing the approaching train.

Admittedly, there are/were many lever boxes installed the other way round, but I'd like to think this is a more modern phenomenon as standards have slipped.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2