Conical end TTA Bitumen tanks 37-560 and 37-561 ?

Covkid

I have gone back to 2022 on this forum to look for any topics relating to the conical end bitumen tanks which Bachmann announced a few years ago.

I notice they were mentioned in this post in 2019 but did they ever happen, or have Bachmann dropped the project ?

Bachmann 2020+ - Bachmann - RMweb

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I e-mailed Bachmann when I saw that the models did not appear in the 2021 products. This was the response:-

"Unfortunately we will not be proceeding with these wagons at present and reference is made to this on page 8 of the latest Bachmann Times magazine. This project was indeed announced in 2013 and although our new management has explored several different avenues in order to bring this product to market, we have been unable do so at a price we believe the market will support, which is not helped by the numerous variations among this small fleet plus the lack of liveries which they carried. Sorry again for any disappointment that this has caused, however we are confident that the correct decision has been made and this decision will allow us to concentrate our investments on projects that are commercially viable."

I believe that the lack of a common design was part of the problem as most were converted from earlier tank types with different designs of barrel, underframe, springs, bearings, tap arrangements, walkways etc. I remember observing some of the last workings from Fawley Cadlands to Washwood Heath (6M23) and wondering how any manufacturer could produce these wagons in rtr. Loads varied from 24 wagons down to 10 over the course of early 2009 until the workings ceased completely. From memory there seemed to be no two wagons quite the same, except for the appalling condition of the tank barrels. But ooh that smell...

Kevin

Edited by apollo 079
Typo
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Right now it would be a better bet from Hornby seeing as they have a chassis with the right suspension for it at least.  As for brake gear etc TTAs are a nightmare.

no doubt when I finally finish printing my version one or other will release them…

• Like 1

From the very start Bachmann chose to advertise using a very rare type. A conversion personally I never saw. But there were some types that were more numerous. https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/?q=bitumen 

It is a shame that no Bitumen is readily available as they could work to relatively small yards such as the Mobil facility at Frome https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brtmobilbitumenvb - and the possibly unique https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brttanks/e3961f2cd  already modelled https://www.hattons.co.uk/23603/bachmann_uk_37_583_45_ton_tta_tank_wagon_in_mobil_grey_livery/stockdetail

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I was told a couple of years ago, I think at a D.E.M.U. Showcase, by a Bachmann wallah the moulds were ready, but they were just waiting a release slot from China.  All a bit depressing.  A 'new' wagon model dumped.

Even if it were possible to create a reasonable rake using tooling capable of say two of the more numerous types @hmrspaul refers to, where could Bachmann go with it beyond that? Especially if the only livery - or should that be "livery" - is black?

(Not Bachmann's problem admittedly, but what are all those Hornby 'Cattewater' Esso Bitumen Plymouth Sentinels out there supposed to do now 😜?!)

I had 20 of these on order from Hattons pretty much from the day they were announced at the grand price of £10.61 each 🤣

Shame they never appeared - was planning to build a small model of Exeter City Basin with passing mainline using these as the basis.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

To try and ameliorate my sulking, can anyone recommend a model of TTA (or its predecessor?) which also carried bitumen, please?  I rather like this cargo (as well as creosote), and wish to have the occasional tanker thus arriving in my goods yard.  Or is there no alternative?  Thanks.

• RMweb Gold

I found this which might be of help:

If anyone can post any more info. on alternatives, I am sure many would be grateful.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, Southernman46 said:

Someone will do bitumen TTA tank soon I'm sure ............................

Well thanks all for your replies to this topic.

The answer is yes.  I think I am going to adopt the "Wallsrail" youtube offerings where Nigel uses the old Hornby TTA models and adapts them for his purposes. My mate has a lathe so will probably ask him to have a little dabble with some ends for me.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Covkid said:

Well thanks all for your replies to this topic.

The answer is yes.  I think I am going to adopt the "Wallsrail" youtube offerings where Nigel uses the old Hornby TTA models and adapts them for his purposes. My mate has a lathe so will probably ask him to have a little dabble with some ends for me.

Look forward to seeing the results here.  Thanks.