Help Identifying Lamp Posts

I have these (pictured) lights, I took them from my Dad's layout and added them to mine after a spruce up (originally Black) after wiring them to my 12v lighting system I was operating the layout and could smell burning, I checked wiring, transformers, relays, until I realised it was the lights (Very hot and could not touch them).

Can anyone identify them, should they be lower voltage, or do they just get hot???

2024-05-01 12.01.13.jpg

Assuming that the models are quiet old, then the lamps are likely IMHO to be typical grain-of-wheat type rather than LEDs. Almost certainly the voltage is too high - you're probably lucky you haven't blown them already! Try 6V or 9V and see what happens - you want a 'gentle glow' not a mega-searchlight :-)

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, RailWest said:

Assuming that the models are quiet old, then the lamps are likely IMHO to be typical grain-of-wheat type rather than LEDs. Almost certainly the voltage is too high - you're probably lucky you haven't blown them already! Try 6V or 9V and see what happens - you want a 'gentle glow' not a mega-searchlight :-)

The original mercury vapor lights I believe were very bright.

2 hours ago, TomCrewe said:

Help Identifying Lamp Posts

They're those things you use for support after the landlord calls "Time Gentlemen please" ! 😁

They look to me like hand-built using brass tube and grain-of-wheat bulbs.  If they're too bright and smelling of heat, turn down the voltage.

If they were LEDs on 12v without a resistor they would have gone bang by now.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

If they were LEDs on 12v without a resistor they would have gone bang by now.

I'd expect that, but they're 99% physically identical to the 3V LED lamps I've linked to above.

Edited by spamcan61

Posted (edited)

9v battery lights one lamp. brightness ok but still gets hot. Plan to scrap for other appropriate 1960 style with LED's.

Edited by TomCrewe
better grammer

I found these lights, 3v LED I can put them on my resistor/brightness machine and add appropriate resistance for 12v operation. Snag is my impatience they are from China so takes 2 weeks to get here, that means 3 options Be patient and wait 2 weeks for delivery, or find a UK supplier, or build my own!

Really need a prototypical photo of a 1960's twin Railway yard light. 

s-l1600.jpg