RMweb

Romford wheel nuts screwdriver - creating an alternative in the workshop??

I have a chassis to build that includes a set of Romford wheels.

I know that a special screwdriver is available to secure the axle nuts.   However,  as I only anticipate building one Romford fitted chassis, I was interested to read that some modellers have created an alternative suitable tool from a modified screwdriver.

The technique involves grinding the tip of a 3mm flat screwdriver to create a 1mm “groove” - according to what I have read.

Does this mean creating a slot with something like a slitting disk in a small screwdriver eg jewellers, that is well clamped down (with proper eye protection of course).

Or is there a better way to go about the job?

I’d welcome comments from colleagues who have created such a tool, particularly regarding the depth of any slot.

Thank you

Adrian

I mislaid mine when I needed it once, so I simply took a needle file to an ordinary screwdriver with a blade of a suitable width .

I left off filing once the slot was big enough to remove the offending wheel.

A grinding wheel would probably be faster, but filing didn't take long.

Of course I'd no sooner made my own when the pukka job turned up.

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I have a Romford screwdriver but prefer a flat blade with a slot cut in to it.   The Romford screwdriver is almost essential for the extended axles used for  OUTSIDE CRANKS and can be used for the crank pins though I don't bother with them due to excess wear  and breakages preferring Triang screw in crank pins which are a direct fit in pre tapped Romfords.   The pre tapped wheels are easiest to fit but some pre pre tapped still lurk in model shops despite being around 40 years old now.  Un drilled ones are good but are fine scale, under scale width for GWR  6" treads, but  the un drilled can be drilled for GWR 15" throw 30" stroke as used on 28/29/49/68/78/51/52/72XX classes.   To be honest I find Romfords a bit crude with that big ugly centre nut.  1950s Hornby Dublo and 2000 era Hornby wheels are a lot less ugly, and more prototypical IMHO   I have bored Romford wheels out to suit Hornby bushes especially centre wheels to fit the Hornby drive axles. often keeping Romfords as leading and trailing wheelsets as they quarter so nicely

Same as Micheal and the Cap'n although I think I used a slitting disc. 

Never had a problem fixing crank pins  finger tight then tightening up with either pliers or the slotted screwdriver used at an angle. 

I took a saw to a small screwdriver to make mine.

The wretched thing is the only small screwdriver I can find at the moment....