ESU v3.5

AMJ

Further to the comments in the thread about sound at expo's I have been looking at the manual for the ESU 3.5

http://www.esu.eu/up...IV_ebook_01.pdf

Round about page 40 there are the CV's for assigning the button functions. I'm sure that someone with a bit more experience will be along to say what values you need for each of the CV's to set up a function to be the Mute. There are a batch od CV's for each Fn

Ideally you need to find one that is in the 0-9 range that is not used as it will be quicker to get at. But most decent sound blows have many sounds on these.

However if you fancy reprogramming say a F9 to F12 then you have many CV's to change!

Obviously the easy way is to change CV63

LokSound "Mute" will take the volume through four different levels by turning the function key on/off.

Firstly this is LOTS easier with JMRI/Decoder Pro - read back a few sheets, then tick a couple of boxes on the relevant screen and write out the results.

The function mapping in an ESU is done with 6 CV's for each Function Button (3 CV's for forward, 3 CV's for backward). The groups of three CVs are labelled A, B, C, in the ESU manual, eg: "forward A" or "reverse B". Thus, its possible to have different behaviour from a function key in each direction.

The Mute capability is in "B", and its in bit 6 (value 64).

The Function Mapping covers Function Keys (from Headlight, through F1 to F15), plus behaviours when stopped, running and auxillary input sensors directly attached to the decoder.

Worked example, allocated "Mute" to F10 Button.

Look through manual down to find the CV's for "Assignment of Function Button F10 forward B" which is CV202, and for the reverse direction which is CV205.

Check the existing values before making changes: Read back CV202 and CV205 on your programming track, make note of any value other than zero. Look up in CV148 or CV151 what features are already set onto the function button. Decide whether this old use should be set onto a different function key.

( Its also wise to read back the values used in "A" and "C", to be sure nothing else is controlled by F10 which might cause you problems, for example turning the loco onto Yard mode. This requires reading the relevant CV's for key F10 for "A" and "C" in forward and reverse, which are CV's 201, 203, 204, 206. )

Assuming you think its OK to put "mute" onto F10, set a value of 64 into CV202 and CV205. ( If you want other features at the same time, you have to add up the relevant values for each feature, then program the total value).

Depending on the sound project in the decoder, it may be possible to move which function key controls which auxillary sound slots (whistles, horns, brake noises, compressors, etc). This is done in grouping "C" in the function mapping. My experience is that some sound projects will allow this change, and some will not, so I assume its a setting when the sound project is built.

- Nigel

LokSound "Mute" will take the volume through four different levels by turning the function key on/off.

--snip--

- Nigel

good_mini.gif

Excellent, and well explained.

I don't have JMRI currently, although I do want to get the Lenz USB module at some point to allow this, so I'll be doing it the hard way on the programming track.

It's a shame that the RTR sound locos don't have this feature set on a function and in the manual by default.

Cheers

Richard

Mornin'

Just to add, I did this to my loksounds to get 4 volume levels as these were my first vacant F's

To assign to F13, set CV 220 + 223 to a value of 64

To assign to F14, set CV 226 + 229 to a value of 64

To assign to F15, set CV 232 + 235 to a value of 64.

Sequence is 1,2,3,4 then back to 1, one press for each rise.

Worthy of note here for twin speaker users, step 4 gives a value of 64 to CV63 irrespective of any previously reduced values applied to it. I find level 2 fine for home use.

Steve

• RMweb Gold

just to add to what has already been said heres something bryan at howess put together before anyone had replied, unfortuantly i didn't get home to post it before others had replied, it covers a lot of things already mentioned but here it is......

Each Loksound Function key has 6 CV settings allocated to it which are used to fulfil different rolls.

As there has been recent debate re sound levels and the possible use of the Mute function which allows 4 sound level settings I have produced a little scenario for those who wish to try it for themselves.

I have allocated F8 as the mute function and F12 which was unused in my case to asign the sound or whatever settings are allocated to F8 on your project. F8 being chosen as it is only a single key press to operate on any controller.

Function 8 has CVs 189 through to 194 assigned to it, and Function 12 has 213 through to 218

on my example F8 was asigned sound slot 7, so to remove slot 7 and make F8 the mute function key the CV list is as follows:-

Before After

189=0 =0

190=0 =64

191=7 =0

192=0 =0

193=0 =64

194=7 =0

To reallocate sound slot 7 to F12

the CV list is as follows:-

Before After

213=0 =0

214=0 =0

215=0 =7

216=0 =0

217=0 =0

218=0 =7

I hope this explaination makes it easy for those without the advantage of a Lokprogrammer to carry out the change. reverting to the first set of figures returns the decoder to its original state so there is nothing lost.

If you follow the decoder booklet, or if you dont have one you can download the English PDF file here... (6th one down on the list)

http://www.esu.eu/en/downloads/instruction-manuals/digital-decoders/

Looking at the Function Mapping section in conjunction with the example I have given, and remembering that each Function key has a block of 6 CVs allocated to it, you should easily be able to work out and adapt your decoder to suit your own requirements. the only thing to remember is always write down what the CV settings are before you change them. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!! .

I am sure this info has been explained many times on this or other forums and websites but having seen this current thread and also the DCC sound at exhibitions thread I felt it may be of some assistance or interest, especially for those new to DCC and who want to experiment with safety, or even those who were unaware of the mute facility.

On all Brian Daniels O gauge locos fitted with Howes sound decoders I have enabled the F8 mute facility so he can control the sound level to suit the the particular exhibition environment he is in. On the quietest level setting the tickover sound is barely audible until you are close up so it does work.

Have fun

Bryan

[quote name='Nigelcliffe' date='16 July 2010 - 09:19 ' timestamp='1279268351' post='179311

The Mute capability is in "B", and its in bit 6 (value 64).

- Nigel

Small correction: Bit 6 has a value of 32 - Bit 7 is the one that's required set - value 64

Otherwise a very good explaination

Regards

Ken

Small correction: Bit 6 has a value of 32 - Bit 7 is the one that's required set - value 64

Otherwise a very good explaination

Regards

Ken

Whether its "6" or "7" depends whether you count bits starting with 0 or 1. Both conventions are used, and it can cause a fair degree of confusion.

In my reply, I used the convention adopted in the ESU manual, which starts at 0, and thus we are discussing bit 6 for mute. (Page 37 and CV130 in my manual).

- Nigel

Whether its "6" or "7" depends whether you count bits starting with 0 or 1. Both conventions are used, and it can cause a fair degree of confusion.

In my reply, I used the convention adopted in the ESU manual, which starts at 0, and thus we are discussing bit 6 for mute. (Page 37 and CV130 in my manual).

- Nigel

Presumably ESU systems can recognise or set Bit 0 ? but what others ? Certainly Lenz counts Bit's as from 1 upwards, and when using it Bit 7 requires set for a value of 64. I would agree this issue causes a lot of confusion, but is rarely discussed.

OTU

Ken

Presumably ESU systems can recognise or set Bit 0 ? but what others ? Certainly Lenz counts Bit's as from 1 upwards, and when using it Bit 7 requires set for a value of 64. I would agree this issue causes a lot of confusion, but is rarely discussed.

OTU

Ken

Just to set the record strait.

Most decoders use bits 0 to 7. Lenz decoders use bits 1 to 8.

The Lenz system can be set to work with 0 to 7 or 1 to 8. Operators choice.

No confusion really.

The ESU ECoS can work with both 0 to 7 or 0 to 8.

If setting by value each bit has the same value.

EG

Value of 0 or 1 is 1

Value 0f 1 or 2 is 2

Value of 2 or 3 is 4

value of 3 or 4 is 8

Value of 4 0r 5 is 16

Value of 5 or 6 is 32

Value of 6 0r 7 is 64

Value of 7 or 8 is 128

You may notice that each bit has a value exactly double the previous bit.

Hope this clears a little of the confusion.

Cheers

Ian

Just to set the record strait.

Most decoders use bits 0 to 7. Lenz decoders use bits 1 to 8.

The Lenz system can be set to work with 0 to 7 or 1 to 8. Operators choice.

No confusion really.

The ESU ECoS can work with both 0 to 7 or 0 to 8.

If setting by value each bit has the same value.

EG

Value of 0 or 1 is 1

Value 0f 1 or 2 is 2

Value of 2 or 3 is 4

value of 3 or 4 is 8

Value of 4 0r 5 is 16

Value of 5 or 6 is 32

Value of 6 0r 7 is 64

Value of 7 or 8 is 128

You may notice that each bit has a value exactly double the previous bit.

Hope this clears a little of the confusion.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks for the explaination - I really should have spent more time reading that Lenz manual - it's all in there :(

Ken

Thanks for the explaination - I really should have spent more time reading that Lenz manual - it's all in there :(

Ken

Glad to help.

Using bits with Lenz set 100 is easy. The bits are just turned on/off. Entering values for each bit is not necessary.

Ian

Archived