Wrenn Dunlop 08

I picked this up at the Manchester Xmas show , back in December, when I was exhibiting my Z gauge layout with a view to repainting it as one of the Direct Rail Services class 08s for my Grandson who is DRS mad

But.. Not being a 00 modeller, wiser voices suggested that might be a mistake as this was a very late Wrenn Model and might be rare?

Advice please

Wrenn 08 Dunlop.jpg

Looks too good to repaint. I've seen them go from 50 quid to 250 quid (depending on box, packer etc etc).

The internet suggests only about 400 made. I would say wrenn prices seem to have softened significantly.

But compared to the old Hornby 08 (with no outside frames) it at least looks like an 08!

You're right it's later (flanged centre wheels, updated coupler), but not sure it's very late?

• RMweb Premium

And there was I, expecting to see an 08 with rubber tyres! Perhaps one sold to the Paris Metro for maintenance work.

I bought one of these decades ago for repainting as they were being sold off cheap - they obviously didn't sell that well.  They do seem to be quite collectable now as I guess they were a limited run and quite a few ended up getting repainted or bought for the chassis.