Counter weights for wheels?

I've made good headway on my LNWR Precedent.   I'm running out of things to do.    One item that troubles me is the counter weights for the wheels.   Anyone got a good method of making them?

IMG_0422.JPG

• Like 1

Balance weights usually come with the kit as an etched part.  In 4mm, I find it easier to fit them first and paint the wheels before assembly cos it's not best practice to remove the wheels once on.  I attach them with epoxy.

If I had to make them I would probably use plasticard.  Stick down a drawing of said loco and cut them out.

Posted (edited)

I use one of those Olfa compass cutters, which are quite cheap to buy, though a double pointed compass from the old school compass set would also do it. Draw an arc to match the outer dimension, then a second arc for the inner, and you have your balance weight. Edit - Thin plasticard of course.

Edited by Barclay

You've done a good job on that kit. 

As Brassey says, etched brass kits usually come with the things that look like toe-nail clippings, but if not they're easy enough to fabricate from 5mm plasticard.  They'll be hardly visible by the time they're painted.

Well, the kit did not come with balance weights that I saw.  I have tried an Olfa cutter and 5thou black plasticard.    I tried to cut them out with the cutter, and all it did was dig in.    Perhaps I need to just mark them and cut them out with other tools.

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, bluestag said:

Well, the kit did not come with balance weights that I saw.  I have tried an Olfa cutter and 5thou black plasticard.    I tried to cut them out with the cutter, and all it did was dig in.    Perhaps I need to just mark them and cut them out with other tools.

For balance weights - 10 thou. plastic card, a brand new Olfa blade, and VERY light cuts.

Repeat the cuts several times, then snap out the shape by bending.

Works for me.

CJI.

• Agree 1

SUCCESS!!!

The trick was MANY light cuts.    Using my Olfa compass cutter.    I have the left side wheels cut and glued, and will let the epoxy cure overnight before I move to the right.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Plastikard. Cut very slightly oversize with scissors and sand to fit using the drum attachment on the dremel.  Turn over and fill in the rear  with car body filler and sand to shape. 

6 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Nice work but the cast tender water scoop cover looks too tall. On the 2500g version it was 12" high, so I expect the same for the 1800/2000g tenders.

Huh.    You COULD be right.   This kit is a Modeler's World.   The line was bought by Mercian, which closed when the proprietor died.    It is now in hands that are in no hurry to reintroduce the line.    The other major supplier of LNWR in 7mm is Gladiator, which sells, wait for it, some Modeller's World kits.   Plus he has several newer offerings.   The tenders from Mercian and Modeller's World are radically different designs from the Gladiator kits, which are much better.    But.   Many of the castings are the same.    I would swear it.   The filler on another 1800 gal tender is identical to this one, and both are about 10.5, or 18".   Strange.  I don't propose to do much about it at this point.   Possibly I'll trim the next ones I build.  I'll check Talbot.

On 28/05/2024 at 13:32, Jol Wilkinson said:

Nice work but the cast tender water scoop cover looks too tall. On the 2500g version it was 12" high, so I expect the same for the 1800/2000g tenders.

Jol,   I think you are wrong.  I consulted Talbot, the appendix on tenders has a GA of an 1800 gal tender, in 7mm, and the filler scales 18" tall.  Making the casting right enough.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

10 hours ago, bluestag said:

Jol,   I think you are wrong.  I consulted Talbot, the appendix on tenders has a GA of an 1800 gal tender, in 7mm, and the filler scales 18" tall.  Making the casting right enough.

Interesting. The 4mm 1800g and 2000g tenders I have built have a lower scoop cover (etched) which is why I thought the casting looked to high.

When I designed a 4mm 2500g tender I had access to a GA which showed the scoop cover/filler as 12" high. 

9 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Interesting. The 4mm 1800g and 2000g tenders I have built have a lower scoop cover (etched) which is why I thought the casting looked to high.

When I designed a 4mm 2500g tender I had access to a GA which showed the scoop cover/filler as 12" high. 

Interesting indeed.   I have only the GA in Talbot as a solid reference, but I'd say most photos that are of a useful angle seem to bear me out.