BR (ER) D16/3 GNR main line workings in the 1950s

• RMweb Premium

I m hoping the more knowledgeable members can help me out with this question?

I ve been reading  through the "LNER Encyclopaedia" web site, with regard to the Gresley rebuilds of the D16/3 class of 4-4-0 locomotives. Towards the end of the article l came across this comment

"Locomotives from Cambridge were also regularly seen at King's Cross, and the March engines often hauled stopping services to Doncaster" 

Whilst l ve found photos of D16/3 working Doncaster to Nottingham services, l ve not found any photos of any D16/3s working between Kings Cross and Doncaster. Does anyone know of any, or could shed light on these workings at all?

Bob C

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Blobrick said:

Whilst l ve found photos of D16/3 working Doncaster to Nottingham services, l ve not found any photos of any D16/3s working between Kings Cross and Doncaster. Does anyone know of any, or could shed light on these workings at all?

Bob C

I'm not an expert but it's likely they arrived at KX on Cambridge services.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

The quoted extract, as chris p bacon suggests, is discussing March engines working up to Doncaster, and Cambridge engines working Cambridge to Kings Cross (it's not suggesting any D16s working Doncaster-Kings Cross services).

For a 1950s sighting that may well mean a Cambridge D16 being required to fill in for the diagrammed B1 on a Cambridge-Kings Cross (someone else may know if this happened in practice) or arriving on a special.

The most prominent example of the latter seems to be 62605 in 1956 working from KX to Hitchin before giving way to 43222:

D16 BR 62605 at Hitchin Station on the SLS SMJR Rail Tour 29-04-1956

Paul Kearley image on Flickr. D16 BR 62605 at Hitchin Station on the SLS SMJR Rail Tour 29-04-1956 taken by H C Casserley.

Simon

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 65179 said:

The quoted extract, as chris p bacon suggests, is discussing March engines working up to Doncaster, and Cambridge engines working Cambridge to Kings Cross (it's not suggesting any D16s working Doncaster-Kings Cross services).

For a 1950s sighting that may well mean a Cambridge D16 being required to fill in for the diagrammed B1 on a Cambridge-Kings Cross (someone else may know if this happened in practice) or arriving on a special.

The most prominent example of the latter seems to be 62605 in 1956 working from KX to Hitchin before giving way to 43222:

D16 BR 62605 at Hitchin Station on the SLS SMJR Rail Tour 29-04-1956

Paul Kearley image on Flickr. D16 BR 62605 at Hitchin Station on the SLS SMJR Rail Tour 29-04-1956 taken by H C Casserley.

Simon

Oh dear that's what's l thought, thought it was to good to be true. I ll just have to try and find an other excuse for one of those lovely Hornby D16/3s!!

Thanks for you help Gents

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, 65179 said:

Where are you hoping they ran?

Simon

Hi Simon

Anywhere between Peterborough and Grantham or Doncaster on the GNR main line. I ve seen a photo of one D16/3 working a Doncaster Notts service in the late 1950s, but that was all l could find.

Bob C

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Blobrick said:

Hi Simon

Anywhere between Peterborough and Grantham or Doncaster on the GNR main line. I ve seen a photo of one D16/3 working a Doncaster Notts service in the late 1950s, but that was all l could find.

Bob C

Yes, quite tricky. They worked Lincoln-Doncaster and Lincoln-Derby services at points. They were common on various services through Peterborough, but on the main line is trickier. Even the East Midlander No.3 in 1957 largely avoids the mainline apart from Doncaster itself on its way north and heads off down the South Yorkshire Joint heading south:

https://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/50s/570512rc.html

Perhaps claim that a loco like 62599 worked north over the GN when reallocated from Spital Bridge to Lincoln rather than the GN & GE Joint?

https://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=S&id=600415059&loco=1808

Simon

• RMweb Gold

This might not be much use to you but I can offer these sightings of D16's on the Cambridge to Bedford at Sandy.  62510, 62533, 62544 & 62588 were regular sightings.

You could use rule 1 to say they went through the transfer sidings onto the GN main line......just saying...

• RMweb Premium

This post mentions a Peterborough-Lincoln train that used the main line.  It seems to have run only in 1958 after the introduction of DMUs, but would be a credible working for one of Lincoln's D16/3s if it had run a year or two earlier.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks very much Gents, for your input, shame really as l d have loved to justify a D16/3 but you just cant have everything!!

Much appreciated

Bob C