"Dalehead"

paul2001

As some of you know Askrigg Bank, Kendal Modek Railway Clubs award winning layout has been sold and will be winding its way to the Irish Republic after its final swan song at Warley this year.

Last year we started planning the replacment, thanks to a rearrangment in the building our club room is in we were able to move all the stored layouts and junk etc that accumilates in club rooms, this allowed us to increase the maximum size of the layout we could build. So after much debate we decided on a bigger version of Askrigg, similar enough to remind people of the previous layout but differant enough to keep people interested.

Below is the upper level (visible) section.

post-35-12569067026291_thumb.jpg

Construction started on Dec 31st last year (so we can say it was started in 2008) up to date construction photos will be posted as soon as i find the disc with them on.

Plaese Feel free to ask questions/ Pass comments etc.

• RMweb Gold
As some of you know Askrigg Bank, Kendal Modek Railway Clubs award winning layout has been sold and will be winding its way to the Irish Republic after its final swan song at Warley this year.

In which case, I consider myself lucky to have seen it at Newcastle on Sunday. Superb layout.

I look forward to seeing the new one develop.

• 1 year later...

Some update photo's of the layout in its currant state of construction

This photo shows the triple deck construction, the top deck will be the station, the middle is the loop that climbs to the upper fiddle yard, the bottom is the main storage yard

post-35-0-57429100-1304684769_thumb.jpg

Double deck construction

post-35-0-55553600-1304684545_thumb.jpg

post-35-0-67245100-1304684560_thumb.jpg

The first bits of scenery are formed, the branch line can be scene where the stanley knife is

post-35-0-44100700-1304684577_thumb.jpg

post-35-0-01475900-1304684592_thumb.jpg

post-35-0-91381800-1304684608_thumb.jpg

In the photo with the hand drill, all the tracks have double screw heads showing which I assume means a baseboard join. The scenery also appears to stop at this line. The gap between the two areas of storage tracks appears to be about a metre or more. How do you transport this baseboard with such a large area of what appears to be unsupported scenery? Or have I missed something? unsure.gif

Oh Good Questions

1st Yes the double screw heads are the baseboard joins.

2nd The scenic sections are removable and box together for transport. There are more scenic sections to add extending to the left of the photo when made.

3rd In that picture by the drill handle is a support this is on the joint between 4 scenic sections only 2 are there at the mo joined end on, you'll also notice that in the last photo (with the glue pot)this is the same base board, how it is bolted to the board behind and on the extreme right you can just make out the stanley knife, just under this is a further support.

Hope this answers your questions, i'll get some more pictures on Tuesday to illustrate how its done.

Is it some form of spiral to track the main line back to the start point?

In a way yes only instead of the stacked tracks like you get on US layouts its one big loop, you can see in the first photo the loop boards over the storage roads with the scenic station boards on the top. The loop boards are the ones with the drill on in that picture. the storage roads become the ones with the glue bottle on in the last picture.

Archived