Plasticard coach techniques

Like whitemetal and etched brass, Plastikard is not useful for all ocassions. For roofs, its useless. No doubt Mike T. is using one of the MJT aluminium extrusions. He can't go wrong.

Larry,

I think there's a context element missing from that comment? Colin has shown how he's managed to form a plasticard roof using a wooden former and effectively baking it; there's also a thread featuring a hot-water formed roof on RMWeb somewhere (I found it last week). Both seem perfectly fine to me, except; as I model in 0-gauge the workpieces are a bit big for me to form at home.

Vac-form is no great issue either; providing you know how to deal with the parts. I've never had a huge problem with vac formed roofs, but then I cut my teeth modelling aircraft from vac-form 'kits', so know how to strengthen and stabilise the stuff. Admittedly I've yet to encounter a vac-form roof in 0-gauge, but a lot of my 4mm scale stuff used them with no real problem.

Southwark Bridge Models advocate the use of laminations to build up plastic roofs; sometimes as a support for a vac-form skin, sometimes not. The ones I've seen look pretty strong and can be made to fit the rest of the coach accurately, although I do wonder at the amount of time it may take to form a roof in this way.

I understand your point about use of extruded sections, aluminium is far stronger and more stable than styrene; no matter how either are formed. That in itself might cause problems with plastic-sided coaches in the larger scales through differential expansion. No experience of this either; it's just a thought.

I'm very much reliant on the thought that for the vast majority of vehicles I'm going to want to build I'm stuck with using vac-formed (Peter Cowling) or moulded (Slater's) styrene roofs. And if they don't do one I need then I might be able to resort to plasticard forming at home; whereas there's no way I could form an aluminium or brass one.

I'll also admit that, in general terms, it's the roofs that hold the biggest concern for me when planning the stock to build!

So, I remain intrigued by your comment; when is plasticard 'useless' for roofs...? I look forward to your response. ;)

Cheers,

Steph

I know from years of experience in the trade that it was often a case of throwing away the rubbish bits and replacing with components that would stand the test of time when building coach and loco kits for clients. Come-backs we didn't want and so Vac-formed styrene roofs were first thing to hit the fire! Manufacturers included them in their kits so they could say the kit was complete], but they must have broken many a model builders spirit!

Personally, after all the time and effort of building and coach, I want my roofs to last a lifetime. Even some of David Jenkinsons wooden roofs suffered a little when they shrank or bowed.

I empathise with your remark about "it's the roofs that hold the biggest concern for me when planning the stock to build!" It is probably a coach builders main concern. The LSWR extrusions from Wheeltappers are drying up fast, if it hasn't happened already. The LNWR Cove roof is still plentiful though. There are eliptical roofs of different profiles from MJT, Comet and 247 Developments. A good source of domed roofs is provided by Hornby Gresley coaches. It might not be too well known that almost any roof profile can be obtained in pressed-aluminium from the people who currently produce BLS/Phoenix coach kits. They can press domed roofs too.

Larry

Hi Mike, it's me again!

I would agree that vacuum formed roofs are not suitable for coach roofs. They are made form thin sheet to aid the process anyway. Now 40 thou. sheet baked in the oven clamped in a former gets so hot it re-arranges the molecular stucture so remains stable when cooled. That makes it as stable as a moulded plastic roof, but not as good as an aluminium one. However, with my very limited experience, I don't think aluminium bonds to anything else totally reliably. So there is going to be a compromise somewhere along the line.

Colin

I intend to plank it like the prototype!

post-3717-128138270965_thumb.jpg

Wonderful photo Mike, what coach are we looking at here? I am intrigued by the vertical pipe/tube(?) close to the outer edge of the end - my initial thought was that this was the water filler pipe, surely that was closer to the gangway so what is the purpose of this fitting?

regards, Graham Beare

The book Carriage Modelling Made Easy by David Jenkinson seems to be available from ianallanpublishing.com - They have processed my order for a copy and have not said it is out of print - so far!

I've had the book since it was first published. Some very interesting ideas in there.

Archived