Glen Gillie, Loch Inch & Bridge of Muir

trains12

Love the friars.love the colouring,all the buildings especially lighthouse and water, very enviable, if I was being picky some of your trees are very windswept.....wish that was the worst someone could say of my layout. Just love your work.

Hi Jaz

Yes they do look a little wind swept but we are in depths of Scotland! No I think some of them have been cut a bit when filling in the sky. Also since these photos were taken a further 80 odd trees have been added to that area in general. Will post some more of Mikes shoots.

Peter

Hi Peter, how about Roundy Roundy :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Handy Andy :sungum:

Hi Andy Pandy

Roundy roundy? That would be a good idea 36ft long by say 10ft wide then another 36ft then another ten foot That has given me some ideas Could model the outlet of Ben Cruachan power station on Loch Awe or the paper mill at Fort William. The possibilities hold no bounds. Now were did I put my sketch pad?

Peter

Hi Ray

Yes and No.

The shots taken in Feb. this year before the sea had its coat of varnish and clear water applied. This has the effect of deepening the colours so the last time you saw it was after the varnishing so it is darker than the photos.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Have just received my copy of Model Rail with the article in on Glen Gillie . The photos taken by Andy York are great. Many thanks Andy for them..

So the next stop is Model Rail Live at  Newark  22/23 of this month.

Hope to see many of you there. Please say hello You may even get to work the layout.

Cheers

Peter

• Like 1

Hi all

As you know have been thinking of building an extension or making Glen Gillie/Loch Inch into a continuous run around layout and to this end have been doing some work on a lattice bridge which would be situated at the head of a loch where the river flows into it. It will be about 2ft long and these views below show the state of play up to the other day. They are of the construction of the side girders made from plastruct sections and the ends are the till roll insides. At present have been thinking of doing it as a single track bridge with interlaced running track for 2 lines but it may end up being double tracked with a centre lattice girder. It is based on no particular location but the ideas have come from various scottish bridges.

Peter

post-6915-0-48564100-1378220741.jpg

post-6915-0-13814500-1378220745.jpg

post-6915-0-66333900-1378220749.jpg

post-6915-0-84854100-1378220754.jpg

post-6915-0-52945300-1378220736.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Well I think I have come up with an idea on a further extension to Glen Gillie. This will be done so that the layout  will become a round robin /tail chaser layout. This will give four options , one just Glen Gillie two just Loch Inch, three Glen gillie and Loch Inch together, and four a complete round layout. The new layout will be 36ft long by about 10ft wide. on the new side will be a further station but the main features will be two bridges that are being built now. One is the lattice bridge that is already on this thread, the second will be the bridge which I am building for fun based on Connel Ferry bridge.

At present this is in a thread of its own  which I think will be kept that way but the fitting of it into the layout will be on here. I have just come back from week in scotland and have many ideas for buildings and sections of scenery that I want to model. so keep a look out for them on the web.

In the mean time here are a few shots of the start of the girder work on Connel ferry bridge.

post-6915-0-94291400-1379429556.jpg

post-6915-0-85951400-1379429560.jpg

Cheers

Peter

• Like 1

Hi all

Here are a few shots of the girder work on one side of the large bridge. The size can be judged by the Heljan railbus. I have included a view of the real bridge which I took last week inn the pouring rain and mist. I ended up like a drowned rat taking all the detail shots of the bridge structure.

Peter

post-6915-0-43653100-1379515657.jpg

post-6915-0-50042400-1379515665.jpg

post-6915-0-15058100-1379515672.jpg

post-6915-0-72905900-1379515659.jpg

• Like 5

Hi all

Here are a few shots of the girder work on one side of the large bridge. The size can be judged by the Heljan railbus. I have included a view of the real bridge which I took last week inn the pouring rain and mist. I ended up like a drowned rat taking all the detail shots of the bridge structure.

Peter

attachicon.gifIMG_4660.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4657.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4658.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4631.JPG

Hello Peter , I have been following your posts over the past months and I am really impressed with what you achieve and Connel road/rail bridge looks so accurate as we have long weekends in this area with the caravan and cross this bridge daily .  I can't wait to see Glen Gillie /Loch Insch at our show on 5/6th October at Bonnybridge , I think this is your first trip North of the Border with this layout and hope you enjoy your sojourn up here , will look forward to meeting you and your colleagues on Friday the 4th.  

Regards

George McFadyen

Chairman

Bonnybridge MRC

Hi Peter,

I must second George's comments above i remember crossing the bridge going to North Ledaig caravan site with my parents years ago happy day's, I cannot wait to see the layout in the flsh in 2 weeks time just a pitty the bridge wont be ready for then.

Bruce Duncan

Show manager

Bonnybridge MRC  

Lovely meeting you at Newark today, great chat, very impressed with the layout in the flesh. Thank you for the heads up with the water issue, shall test a small bit so I don't end up with the problem.

Kal and I were laughing later, when he asked what stuff had you nicked from the Kitchen to make the lighthouse he said some shocked punter gave him an evil look thinking he was insulting your beautiful lighthouse then didn't know where to look as you replied where each of the bits were filched/derived from LOL.

Especially impressed with the Linka castle. Must make time to use my recently acquired moulds.

Some layouts are better photographed than seen but yours is a great exhibition layout.

Sad to have missed 7Apt7 sure we'll catch up