Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Glen Gillie, Loch Inch & Bridge of Muir

trains12

Hi All

Well the third board was completed yesterday and attached to the other two boards and the buildings positioned on them. This now gives a better balanced overall view of the layout which I am now happy with. Will now fit the back scene boards and make a start on the cutting of the poly. to the shape of the hills etc.Will have to wait till the cork arrives next week to start the track laying. In the mean time work on the buildings will continue.

Cheers

Peter

post-6915-0-50637500-1345287852.jpg

post-6915-0-27575900-1345287860.jpg

post-6915-0-58171400-1345287867.jpg

post-6915-0-82430900-1345287873.jpg

• Like 4

Hi All

I have just been sat looking at the layout and thinking about it. At present the length is now 36 foot with this new extension on ( that includes the two fiddle boards, one at each end) and I feel that this may limit the shows that could accommodate its length. This could be a shame as I feel the loch side part will be good :boast: . So I may make either one or two other boards at the harbour end to make this into a further terminus layout that could be taken out independent of Gen Gillie, called something like Loch Inch, the abbey is going to be called Inchcome Abbey. Any comments from out there.

Cheers

Peter

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

Wouldn't worry about this length too much. Just got back from Midland Railex where we saw a layout 150 feet long, and that wasn't all of it, N gauge too! But that said, it was in one of the sheds, so you could be right. It's going to need a few operators too with fiddle yards at both ends so could get expensive for some exhibitions.

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

Wouldn't worry about this length too much. Just got back from Midland Railex where we saw a layout 150 feet long, and that wasn't all of it, N gauge too! But that said, it was in one of the sheds, so you could be right. It's going to need a few operators too with fiddle yards at both ends so could get expensive for some exhibitions.

Hi Ray

Glad you had a great time...

I think I need from still Photos to Video Screens and several Camera's either on show or just for operating the Layout... we could start cheap by using Mirrors... lol

Been to Crewe to and the DRS Open Day, and then went across the road to Freightliner and they had a tour on aswell, so managed to get round and see about 12 Class 70 several working and Class 86/90 and not forgetting the Class 66 Sheds...

The DRS was good to with Class 20/37/47/57/66 loads of photos and I think I have worn out my camera... No i'm serious, it having problems... that's like me loosing my right arm... what am I going to do, as club members we should come up with a good solution...

Great Day though, if you want me to upload any photo, let me know...

Jamie

• Like 1

Hi All

I have just been sat looking at the layout and thinking about it. At present the length is now 36 foot with this new extension on ( that includes the two fiddle boards, one at each end) and I feel that this may limit the shows that could accommodate its length. This could be a shame as I feel the loch side part will be good :boast: . So I may make either one or two other boards at the harbour end to make this into a further terminus layout that could be taken out independent of Gen Gillie, called something like Loch Inch, the abbey is going to be called Inchcome Abbey. Any comments from out there.

Cheers

Peter

I think if you were to make another board [either as an extra, or an alternative]

and have it do a 90* turn. That way you have more flexibility when going to shows.

ie you could fit into/go round corners.

That should make you more 'user-friendly' with show organisers.

Just a thought, Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The DRS was good to with Class 20/37/47/57/66 loads of photos and I think I have worn out my camera... No i'm serious, it having problems... that's like me loosing my right arm... what am I going to do, as club members we should come up with a good solution...

Jamie

Get out the sketch pad and become the next railway artist? :paint:

• Like 1

Hi All

Cheers

Peter

36 ft ouch my poor back lol :help: . The scenery will flow better with the extentions I agree but for some exhibitions it might be beyond the limit sizewise. I will have a look at the progress when I come and visit in early September hopefully.

Cheers Paul

• Like 1

Hi Peter, Wendy and Alfie, Yes 36 ft sounds big BUT when you look at some O Gauge layouts it is not that bad,(our clubs O Gauge one is FIFTY FEET LONG) especially as the amount of detail you put into a project it could hold any viewer or camera fad for an hour or two just working along the scenics taking it all in. If it could be 2 short ones or one long one or even a U shape it would be so flexible for orginisers BUT again you would need to take the right section to the shows, it would be no good arriving with a streight 36 when the hall plan is for an L shape or U shape layout. Now I have confused you even more I will have to stand you a pint at Barrow Hill. All the best Andy.

• Like 1

Hi All

well here a few shots of what has been done today on the senics side of the layout. The Abbey has now its island around it and the foreshore is starting to come together.really this should be done after the track has been laid but still awaiting the cork, so items are being done in the wrong order.

Cheers

Peter

post-6915-0-77087300-1345483674.jpg

An old model of two houses that was started for a layout some twenty odd years ago and not used so they may go on as part of the town leading down to the harbour.

post-6915-0-52133900-1345483686.jpg

post-6915-0-65346300-1345483693.jpg

post-6915-0-51755700-1345483704.jpg

Edited by trains12
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Looking good, Peter, and even better in the flesh. I like the abbey at the far right hand end; it gives the layout a good solid 'full stop' when viewed from the other end - something to prevent the eyes straying off the layout. Brilliant. The photos don't quite do it justice - people will really have to come and see it when it's up and running at exhibition to fully appreciate it, which I hope won't be too long.

I've just been on wikipedia - you mentioned having a station terminus. Lochawe, I noticed, had a large luxury hotel as well as a station. Now, there's an excuse for a substantial building at the left hand end if you want one and some extra First Class coaches on the trains not forgetting Pullman dining on the railtour.

Apologies for my imagination rambling off again - haven't quite got the Fellsman tour on the Settle and Carlisle out of the system yet :declare:

See you again soon.

Polly

• Like 1

Hi All

just a few more shots of today's progress. Cork has arrived and first layer has been laid. The out crop where the ruined castle will sit has been started but has not yet been glued down until the track has been laid. Also the slip way for the small ship building/repair yard has been started.

Have also decided that I will build one board at the harbour end to make a terminus station so the layout can be taken to a show in its own right has Loch Inch.This board would not be used if it is joined up to Glen Gillie.

Cheers

Peter

post-6915-0-56061100-1345588420.jpg

post-6915-0-21976600-1345588438.jpg

post-6915-0-26763500-1345588449.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Peter

Just noticed I'm up to 31 posts [EDIT 32 with this one]. Is this enough to add me to your list of friends yet :yes:?

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Like 1

Hi All

More Photos of Glen Gillie, and laying down the First layer of Cork to on the board before putting a Second Layer in order to raise the track slightly... on the Middle Board...

Enjoy...

post-5212-0-86344300-1345675127.jpg

post-5212-0-97681700-1345675134.jpg

post-5212-0-57514300-1345675141.jpg

post-5212-0-38750600-1345675147.jpg

post-5212-0-65446700-1345675157.jpg

post-5212-0-28778700-1345675170.jpg

post-5212-0-44254200-1345675179.jpg

post-5212-0-07496900-1345675189.jpg

All Comments are Welcome...

Regards

Jamie

Edited by 7APT7
  • Like 3

Hi All

Laying the Cork of the Left Board or the Board that will leave the Station of Glen Gillie...

post-5212-0-16085000-1345675336.jpg

post-5212-0-59386300-1345675344.jpg

post-5212-0-08185000-1345675354.jpg

The Photo's Below are of the fixing of the backing board of the Middle Board...

post-5212-0-79632100-1345675364.jpg

post-5212-0-98198300-1345675373.jpg

All Comments Welcome

Regards

Jamie

• Like 2

Hi All

Cheers

Peter

Hi Peter, looking good, why not keep the layout the same length and call it Loch Manyinch. Just a thought "like"

• Like 1

Hi Peter

Been a very useful two evenings watching you get the cork, track and ballast down, you make it look to easy but i'm sure there's more to it than first meets the eye. Got templot up and running on my PC at home now so will transfer my ideas for the new layout to that over the next few evenings so i can get started with the track building. I noticed your using SMP track, is that in preferance to C&L or are they much the same?

Maybe see you at the weekend.

Ray.

• Like 1

Hi Peter

Yes, thats you lot for tonight... it took me an hour having to re-size all 35 Photos, then sorting them into sections of what you had done...

I like it... is this the start to many name we could call it... What about... Glenex Board

Jamie

Edited by 7APT7