Glen Gillie, Loch Inch & Bridge of Muir

trains12

Ive had two of my Hornby sound 08 go the same way Peter,

seems the push rods are very poorly made,with no strength :cry:

Hi Neil

They look as if the are made from white metal but I know that they are not, what ever it is it is very soft. While fitting the new set nearly bent one of the rods. I dont know if anybody makes a set of brass or nickle silver replacement sets.?

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

The Colwyn Bay show is finished now so its all steam ahead on finishing the control panel and sorting the decking out on the bridge ready for its next outing to Hartlepool in October.

Also last Wednesday Marcus from RMWeb together with his wife and son called whilst on holiday up here to see all the layouts. It was really nice to meet them and we had an enjoyable evening eating Fish & Chips and talking railways.

Work is also going ahead on the new boat for Glen Gillie.

Will keep you all informed.

Peter

• Like 2

Hi All

Have spent a rather bad day trying to get those B..........y dam LED's working on the control panel. When they are all connected up they only work in one direction disconect them fro the layout and they all work. Just canot find what it is with them. When Andy P was down the other week we built a mock up and that worked OK I can only think it is something to do with the switch either on the DCC point motor to do with the push bottons on the panel.

Any ideas?

Peter

Hi all

Another frustrated day trying to get these dam LED's to work. I now know that it is because I have 2 push buttons for each point motor on the control panel. These are used to change the point position. If I take 1 off the LED's do seem to work. I have tried a centre off sprung switch where you can push it up or down but it doesn't hold in that position but the problem then seems to be that the wires coming from the Cobalt motor which change the direction and would go to the switch would then need a common but I don't know where to get that from. So it looks like I will have to rebuild the panel top with just 1 push button and rely then on the LED's to indicate the direction of the point. Will try this out today or tommorrow and will ket you know

Cheers

Peter

• RMweb Premium

Keep on trying, Peter, and I'm sure that you'll get there in the end.  Sorry I can't be of any help at all with this, as DCC is a closed book to me.

Stewart

Go back to 16V DC for the points, you can still have the LED's and simples.

Hi Andy

On the conversion of Glen Gillie to DCC andf the other layouts am leaving all the points as they are, working on Seep PM4's with a micro-switch and stud contact on the control panel so it should be easy to fit LED's, but Bridge of Muir will have to stay with Cobalts for the time being.

Peter

• 1 month later...

Hi All

Well back of the holiday and back to work. On Bridge  of Muir I am still trying to get the directional lights for the points to work. The layout is at the Great Electric show in a couple of weeks time so if I have not completed it by then onf next week they will have to stay as there are. A few trees need to be replaced after the last show were they where  removed by little b............. fingers.

On Glen Gillie work has stated on the new control pannel and sorting out what is needed for the power districts ready for the conversation to DCC.

Still feeling not to good so back at hospital for more checks on Monday. Well back to it trying to get things right.

cheers

Peter

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Good to see you back, Peter.  Keep plugging away, and I'm sure you'll get there.

Hope that the hospital checks come up with an outcome and a remedy quickly.

I won't now get to see the layout in the flesh this year, as I've now had to have a new hip, and will only have limited mobility for the rest of the season.

Regards

Stewart

Edited by 45156

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see you back, Peter.  Keep plugging away, and I'm sure you'll get there.

Hope that the hospital checks come up with an outcome and a remedy quickly.

I won't now get to see the layout in the flesh this year, as I've now had to have a new hip, and will only have limited mobility for the rest of the season.

Regards

Stewart

Hi Stewart

Sorry to hear about your hip. Hope it all gose well. I have ended up with another craked rib.

They have also changed me back to the old insulin The other was making me feel bad.

Cheers

Peter

Hi All

Well the layout is packed ready for its next show at The Great Electric Train show at Gayden next weekend. Still have nort sorted the points control panel out with the LED,s so have left it till after the next two shows then I hope someone will call and give me a hand with it. Now that the nights are drawing in it gets very loneley with Wendy out at work till 10.00pm so I have been drawing up some new layout ideas together with som new buildings that I want to build. At present dont have my modelling hat on so little has been done on the likes of the boat  beam engine or the 7mm wagons. I need a kick up the back side to get me going. The show might just do it.

Cheers

Peter

Edited by trains12
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Stewart

Sorry to hear about your hip. Hope it all gose well. I have ended up with another craked rib.

They have also changed me back to the old insulin The other was making me feel bad.

Cheers

Peter

Thanks for the good wishes, Peter.  Hope the old insulin is better for you - I couldn't get on with Novo rapid myself.

Enjoy the exhibitions, and I hope the temperature in the rooms is a bit more forgiving for accurate running.

Stewart

Edited by 45156

Hi Andy

By Sneezing.

Bring your tool box with you next week and we can get that b............... control panel working with the LED.s.  Seriously looking forward to seeing you.

Are you staying over, if so where are you staying?

Peter

Hi Andy

By Sneezing.

Bring your tool box with you next week and we can get that b............... control panel working with the LED.s.  Seriously looking forward to seeing you.

Are you staying over, if so where are you staying?

Peter

I keep getting told that holding my nose when I sneeze could have been one of the causes of my Stroke, so now I don't and it hurts.

I am staying in Bala again, and I am hoping to meet Martin, (Gismorail) one day / evening as he lives in Corrog. I hope to be aloud out one day to come over to you, but SWMBO says she wants a week without B****Y TRAINS so I will see what I can do.

Hi All

Well Bridge of Muir is all packed up in the van ready for the trip tomorrow to the Hornby show at Gaydon , Hope to see a lot of you there so please let on who you are. See you

Peter

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi All

Well Bridge of Muir is all packed up in the van ready for the trip tomorrow to the Hornby show at Gaydon , Hope to see a lot of you there so please let on who you are. See you

Peter

Hope all goes well, Peter.

Hi all

I should be down at the show but am sat here in north Wales!

We set off great and at 12.15 after doing 131 of the 207 miles just as gone on M54 near Telford the engine went.

After hanging around on motorway for 2.5 hours the AA arrived and that is when the real problems started.

The van hire firm had told the AA to return us to their base on Anglesey. They would not send a spare van out to us, would not pay the AA for a second relay to enable us to go to Gaydon and then back from there on Monday. Also we wouldn't have got back to their base until after they closed and would have to left the van with all the layout in an unsecured car park. So we brought the van back to the unit here in Nantlle and now they reckon it is our responsibility to deliver the van back to them!!

To crown it all I tripped over the cat on the stairs and have now hurt my side. So it was not a very good day.

It is the first time in 30 odd years of exhibiting that have had to back out of a show and I feel terrible about letting people down and the public who will be visiting the show to see the layout and also Mike Wild and the Hornby team.

After the van had beenloaded on 2 of the flatbed lorries and even the AA drivers being so careful knowing what was inside the van, when we came to unload it last night and this morning there has been some minor damage due to the swaying of the van up in the air.

Most is trees snapped, vehicles and people unglued, should be able to get it all rectified before Hartlepool in a fortnight. (That is if we have a van)

Very big sorry to everybody, but hope to see some of you at Hartlepool.

Peter

Hi Peter, after a quick look around at Gaydon this morning I found Mike Wild and asked where you were, and he explained what had happened. Such a great shame for you after so much hard work on the Layout and stress with the Drive and then the Breakdown, a real total shame.

Just an update.

It would appear that the AA office staff and the hire company were at loggerheads over taking the van to the show where the hire people could have got another van to us over the weekend.

It seems that the van hire agreement with the AA is ONLY return to base. They (AA) were wanting £2.50 per mile plus vat to take the van to Gaydon.

Anyway have managed to get a full refund on the hire of the van and they are now trying to sort out the fuel costs as we filled it right up. The hire firm have promised a new van which is due in or a 2014 van for Hartlepool.

The small bits of damage will be started on tomorrow ready for the next show.

Thanks to everyone for their support on both this thread and the show thread.

Peter

Edited by trains12