Glen Gillie, Loch Inch & Bridge of Muir

trains12

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Well while at the Slate Museum Show last week and weekend I manaaged to make a few tress for the side of the loch from the power station on The Bridge of Muir. Still need to make about another 80 plus before the photo shoot and the shows.

Sorry about that but the shots have failed coming off my camera. Will retake them again and post them later.

Peter

Edited by trains12
  • Like 1

Hi All

Not to much to report. At present making a number of trees for Bridge of Muir ready for its photo shoot for Hornby Mag this month. Will post some shots later this week.

Peter

• Like 3

Hi All

Well Bridge of Muir is ready for the photo shoot tomorrow (Friday 13th) I think I will stay in bed but knowing my luck  the bed will collapse . Anyway more trees have been added and a few other items done.

Here are a few shots of the layout.

post-6915-0-91493200-1426152095.jpg

post-6915-0-29426600-1426152103.jpg

post-6915-0-94852900-1426152109.jpg

Peter

• Like 3

Hi All

Well last Friday Hornby Mag team Mike Wild and Mark Chivers did the photo shoot of the two layouts. Also a small video of Bridge of Muir this was after the layout on the DCC played up and we found a dry joint then a point blade came undone and sods law I had not got my tool box with me. It was The Dreaded 13th ! and it had all been checked out before.

Any way here are a few shoots that I took on Saturday mainly showing the trees that have been added to the road along side the loch.

post-6915-0-66233300-1426416155.jpg

post-6915-0-62606300-1426416160.jpg

post-6915-0-75146300-1426416165.jpg

post-6915-0-61485300-1426416170.jpg

post-6915-0-01146900-1426416176.jpg

post-6915-0-69252900-1426416181.jpg

Peter

• Like 6

Hi all

here are a few more shoots of the layout taken the other day.. Thanks for all the likes etc. I do miss written comments telling me where I have gone wrong on items or what I should be doing Plese feel free to add anything to the thread.

Peter

post-6915-0-02976800-1426584398.jpg

post-6915-0-78731900-1426584404.jpg

post-6915-0-41527600-1426584413.jpg

• Like 8

I do miss written comments telling me where I have gone wrong on items or what I should be doing Plese feel free to add anything to the thread.

Peter

Maybe that's because you haven't gone wrong Peter. :imsohappy:

The photos are superb, I must try and get to see the layout in the flesh sometime, work is getting  in the way a bit at the moment though!!!

Jinty ;-)

Hi Jinty

At present I have The Bridge of Muir layout minus the two fiddle yards ( They dont fit in the unit) The front half of Great Tunsley Dale which is having the buildings repaired after they got damaged 12 months ago in the van, and Water Mill Halt up. BoM & WMH are both working DCC so I am thinking that in the next few weeks or at Easter on the Saturday having a open day were fellow members of the RMWeb if they so wish can come down and in the words of Wendy play toy trains. All would be welcome. If it could be arranged might even have a BBQ. Would you or any body out there be interested. Martin, Ray & Polly, Carwen, Bangor Lad, Coachman, andy to name a few.

• Like 4

It's certainly a good idea Peter, I'd be interested, although we usually venture over to the east coast to visit relatives at Easter.

But a BBQ, good conversation and trains???? It's got to be a hit!!!!

Jinty ;-)

Hi All

A plea for help. I am in the process of converting Glen Gillie Loch Inch into DCC. What I have been told is that I need to make power districts. What I need is some help in how you do this etc. So is there anybody near me in North Wales that can call round and point me in the right direction on what I need and how to do it.

Thank you

Peter

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi All

Here are a few shots of the new trolley wagon todate. There is still a little more work to do on detailing the main girders and the sub frames. One area that I have not obtained any clear views or information on is the attachments on both sides of the main beams that look like they are support legs held in brackets. Does anyone out there have any info on these please?

Have still to make the cradles for holding the transformer in place.

Will keep updates coming.

Cheers

Peter

Hi Peter

I was searching the site and came across your post for the transformer wagon. I'm currently developing a kit for this wagon myself in etched nickel silver and was wondering if while you were building your own wagon, you had managed to unearth any photographs other than the two in Bob Esserys book. Photos of the wagon seem to be as rare as hens teeth so any help you can offer would be most welcome.

I'm very impressed with your layout, you have made a superb job of the trackwork and the scenics are very convincing, well done.

Ian

• Like 1

Hi Peter

I was searching the site and came across your post for the transformer wagon. I'm currently developing a kit for this wagon myself in etched nickel silver and was wondering if while you were building your own wagon, you had managed to unearth any photographs other than the two in Bob Esserys book. Photos of the wagon seem to be as rare as hens teeth so any help you can offer would be most welcome.

I'm very impressed with your layout, you have made a superb job of the trackwork and the scenics are very convincing, well done.

Ian

Hi Ian

We have here in the research centre some drawings and other photographs from the LNER showing details of these wagons which we would have to look into but just at present we cannot gain access properly to all the stuff in the centre due to a major problem with the floor. The weight of over 120,000 items has caused 3 of the main beams to sag down at one end. One of the books that we used was an LNER one on moving large items. We provide a lot of information to commercial people ie authors, kit designers using The Railway Study Centre library. Will try and sort something out.

Keep in touch

Peter

• RMweb Premium

Hi Peter

Thanks for that, it is much appreciated. The wagon I am working on is the one you have built, the LMS (later BR) version as per the photos in Bob Essereys book. Currently I'm doing it without the additional items which were added above the beams later by BR, mainly because I haven't as yet been able to find any information about the parts. 

I'll keep you posted as to progress, I'm waiting for a test etch to arrive which I ordered a couple of weeks ago and as this is a big wagon there are two sheets of etches each just under A4 size plus some additional etches for the bogies which are the same as the ones I used on one of my other projects, the Trestrol wagon to diagram 2/680.

I have a copy of an LNER pamphlet called 'How the LNER carries exceptional freight loads (second edition issued in 1931) and although it is very interesting, it obviously only has the LNER Transformer wagon in it, not the LMS/BR one.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian

The version I have made is based on the LNER one in the book of 1931  Between the LNER a wagon and the later LMS version there is little difference. It is in BR days that there is differences.

Peter

• RMweb Premium

Hi Peter

The wagon I am doing is the one you have built which is shown on page 6 of this thread and is the BR modified version. This has extended beams and totally different beam carriers which are much more substantial than the original LMS and LNER wagons which appear to have simply used a series of heavy rods bolted to the beams as spreaders.  You have captured the shape of the BR modified ones very well in the model shown on page 6. 

If you do come across anything else when you regain access to the archive covering the BR modified version I would be most grateful to see it.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian

I am a little con fused now because the drawing that I have used for the wagon is the one out of the 1931 book not from the LMS wagon book.When I can get into the Centre will have to check it out.

Peter

Posting this while Wendy is out. The shot is of a new boat that I am making, this can be followed in my Peters workbench thread. It has now been surrgested that a further extenstion or a new layout for Glen Gillie / Bridge of Muir be done to depict a harbour scean similar to that at KKle of Lochalshwhich these type of ships do visit. It dose have a feel to it, butr the main problem would be storage? Any comments.

Peter

post-6915-0-53715100-1427303916.jpg

post-6915-0-41254000-1427303920.jpg

post-6915-0-55460100-1427303924.jpg

post-6915-0-92655100-1427303927.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

a harbour scean similar to that at KKle of Lochalshwhich these type of ships do visit.  Any comments.

I'd say with your skills that it would be a stunning addition to your current offerings, and if the space and storage constraints can be overcome, then I'd say go for it - subject, of course to agreement with Wendy.

I'd say with your skills that it would be a stunning addition to your current offerings, and if the space and storage constraints can be overcome, then I'd say go for it - subject, of course to agreement with Wendy.

I don't think I have any chance of making a new layout but I have drawn up plans for a modern image layout based upon a Navel/ Oil supply yard. Slip ways with either a sub being built or a oil supply vessel  with all the general clutter that is around these type of yards, What comes to mind is Cairnryan port near Stranraer. What is going to happen is that the boat will be used at the harbour on Glen Gillie in stead of the fishing boat. At present the the decks and bridge are being made.

Peter