Instant Rust

Hope this question is in the right place. Some years back Model Rail were selling something I think was called ' Instant Rust '. This consisted of 2 bottles which you painted some fluid from 1 bottle on to the model, then something else from another bottle, left to dry and presto Rust. Is it still available or do other outlets sell it ? Regards Peter

Peter

It's still produced but they changed the name from Modern Options Instant Rust to Sophisticated Finishes Rust Antiquing Set. Don't know who sells it in the UK.

Cheers

Gene

Bottles from Rust Antiquing Set

www.tricoat.com

• RMweb Gold

About 20 years ago I bought a product called Rustall, which is plastic-safe and does a pretty good job. It is still made, but American - I bought it at Victors in Pentonville Road, and they are long gone. I found this link http://www.modeljunction.info/estore/product_info.php?cPath=38_114&products_id=4023 which appears to be a comparable product in the UK.

Dudders...I'm guessing this is the product you got all those years ago. http://www.rustall.com/

quote name='Oldddudders' date='21 July 2010 - 04:30 ' timestamp='1279701044' post='182351']

About 20 years ago I bought a product called Rustall, which is plastic-safe and does a pretty good job. It is still made, but American - I bought it at Victors in Pentonville Road, and they are long gone. I found this link http://www.modeljunction.info/estore/product_info.php?cPath=38_114&products_id=4023 which appears to be a comparable product in the UK.

• RMweb Gold

Dudders...I'm guessing this is the product you got all those years ago. http://www.rustall.com/

Exactly, and the product on the website also resembles that by my desk exactly, so while the packaging on mine is dated 1988, it appears to be just the same product. Probably freely available on your side of the pond, too!

yup...i believe my LHS carries it...but I prefer the Instant Rust...one less bottle to deal with :lol:

Exactly, and the product on the website also resembles that by my desk exactly, so while the packaging on mine is dated 1988, it appears to be just the same product. Probably freely available on your side of the pond, too!

One US money-saving dodge is to make up a solution yourself from iron filings and vinegar.

Not tried it myself, but I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work!

Thats a good idea, I might try that. Cheers, Peter

One US money-saving dodge is to make up a solution yourself from iron filings and vinegar.

Not tried it myself, but I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work!

Try this John. I'm not claiming this hasn't been done before but I've been using my own 'DIY' version of Instant Rust for many years. I use the very fine 'dust' produced by grinding pieces of old cast iron on a bench grinder. I paint on a very thin dilute layer of PVA onto the item to be rusted and sprinkle on very small quantities of the iron 'dust'. Let this dry and then leave the item out in the garden and wait for the British weather to do its work! Depending on the conditions, this can take a few hours or a couple of days.

I've tried grinding various types of metal, but the cast iron 'dust' seems to work the best for me. I've also tried using vinegar to speed up the process but in my experience, the good old wet weather produces the best results and usually comes free...

I've used this method for 4mm, 7mm & 16mm scales and I'm delighted with the finished appearance.

Try this John. I'm not claiming this hasn't been done before but I've been using my own 'DIY' version of Instant Rust for many years. I use the very fine 'dust' produced by grinding pieces of old cast iron on a bench grinder. I paint on a very thin dilute layer of PVA onto the item to be rusted and sprinkle on very small quantities of the iron 'dust'. Let this dry and then leave the item out in the garden and wait for the British weather to do its work! Depending on the conditions, this can take a few hours or a couple of days.

I've tried grinding various types of metal, but the cast iron 'dust' seems to work the best for me. I've also tried using vinegar to speed up the process but in my experience, the good old wet weather produces the best results and usually comes free...

I've used this method for 4mm, 7mm & 16mm scales and I'm delighted with the finished appearance.

I have used the same iron filing dust produced when sharpening chisels etc, but instead of leaving it outdoors, I use a piece of "Brillo" pad (essentially iron wool) left indoors in a teaspoon of water, It rusts inredibly quickly, and I then use the concentrated rust "juice" (as it evaporates and thickens over a day or so) to paint over the iron filings / PVA mix. It dries with texture, and an authentic rust colour (well, it would, its rust). The result looks like heavy rusting of bodty panels. If you use a stiff brush to stipple the body panel without the iron filings, it looks like a light covering of rust on metal panels.

JD

Archived