Non corridor suburban coaches

I am looking for some kits of local suburban coaches for my layout , can anyone point me to someone other than Comet that does them or maybe you have some you would like to part with ?? I have looked at Southern Pride but they do not do internet sales and I am in the US so any help will be much appreciated

Thanks martin

Bachmann do the 57' BR MK Is. Replica did the longer variety but I think these are no longer available?

LMS coaches were available (Airfix IIRC) at one time and can probably be found on eBay.

There was a generic type from Grafar as well.

In addition there is the Hornby ex Airfix GWR B-set, but these are not really suburban coaches, being intended for branch lines.

Kirk did some ex LNER coaches as plastic kits. I believe these are available from Coopercraft now.

(I assume you mean 00.)

Hi Martin,

I've recently built two of North Eastern Design's non-corridor coach kits. One was a Gresley brake third and the other a NER all-third. I altered them slightly to suit my own way of construction but they are fine kits. Also built one of Bill Bedford's GCR non-corridor matchboard coaches using just his etched sides, but he also offers the full kit.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/blog/310/entry-1922-lner-coaches/page___gocomments__1__st__60

Bill Bedford link : http://www.mousa.biz/

North Eastern Design link : http://jnw290.webs.com/nercoachesrtr4mm.htm

Larry

• RMweb Premium

I am looking for some kits of local suburban coaches for my layout , can anyone point me to someone other than Comet that does them or maybe you have some you would like to part with ?? I have looked at Southern Pride but they do not do internet sales and I am in the US so any help will be much appreciated

Thanks martin

BR versions. Inexpensive and (mostly) plastic DC Kits do a range of very nice subs, both 64'6" and 57' (See attached; didn't build it). Southern Pride (attached; didn't build it) - ask a UK 'friend' to purchase and send? In my experience these kits look quite good once finished but not quite as good as the etched versions. Have a shufty at the DC Kits site. There are other kits available representing other designs, some built as late as 1951!John Fozzard does some lovely NER types but they are etched; just see the pics as shown on Coachman's link.

See my P.M. if you wish.

Attached show unfinished/ undetailed items I have acquired and will not be using.

36E

... Kirk did some ex LNER coaches as plastic kits. I believe these are available from Coopercraft now. ...

Certainly are. http://www.cooper-cr...iages.html#kirk

Decent coverage of the Gresley non-corridor types in an easy to build Polystyrene kit format. Rather than bother building the kit bogies, the Bachmann 'Thompson' bogie (available separately) makes them into running vehicles. These late surviving visibly wood construction coaches were in widespread BR service, and offer a strong contrast in appearance to the all steel stock that BR introduced.

Bachmann has revised their LNER Gresley bogie and it is a real oddball now unfortunately. They were always slightly too narrow but this paled into insignificance when they were such good value. However, Bachmann have revised them with RH and LH axlebox covers (ughh?) and they have placed the bearing holes lower in the sideframe to give a higher ride height......Your coaches will be higher than scale! I had original Bachmann bogies with which to compare. In the end I bought 247 Developments bogie kits for my non-corridor Gresleys.

The Replica Railways mk1 longer suburbans are far superior to either the example shown above. They are available in pieces to be assembled by the buyer and I got some at Railex this year. Nice flush glazing available with them too. Might be better buying Bachmann bogies for them instead of their own.

They don't have a web contact unfortunately but telephone works as available on the web, slight problem if ordering from overseas with the times though.

The Replica Railways mk1 longer suburbans are far superior to either the example shown above. They are available in pieces to be assembled by the buyer and I got some at Railex this year. Nice flush glazing available with them too. Might be better buying Bachmann bogies for them instead of their own.

They don't have a web contact unfortunately but telephone works as available on the web, slight problem if ordering from overseas with the times though.

Bear in mind that the long underframe suburbans were only allocated to the Western and Southern regions - in real life, tha tis. Anything can happen in a parallel universe ....

Chris

O k guys i appreciate all the info now i am more confused than ever :-) If i wanted to run , say , three coaches om preserved railway which is the Churnett valley look alike , what would i need to buy , Br Mk1's GNR LNER ?? HELP :-)

Martin

The most likely non-corridors on a preserved line (unless it was one of the early pioneers that started out in the 1950s/60s) would be the short Mk.1 suburbans, like the Bachmann models. When the last were withdrawn in the mid 1970s they were snapped up by many lines. Some stayed in (faded) blue a few years too!

If you were doing an early preserved line, then it would probably be coaches obtained relatively locally, so a West Country line buying old GWR or SR stock, a Northumbrian line LNER, etc.

O k guys i appreciate all the info now i am more confused than ever :-) If i wanted to run , say , three coaches om preserved railway which is the Churnett valley look alike , what would i need to buy , Br Mk1's GNR LNER ?? HELP :-)

Martin

I think you will find that the preserved Churnet (only one 't' btw) Valley Railway actually runs Mk 1 corridor stock, at least one of which is in Southern Green. AFAIK very few preserved railways use non-corridor stock (it makes ticket checking awkward among other things) although the GCR certainly used to have some at the time GNR No.1 ran there.

Just thought i'd add a couple of comparison shots between the Bachmann 57' and the Replica 63'6 suburbans here. The flush glazing on the Replica is rather good though both makes of coach could do with a new underframe! Not sure about the vent/periscope arrangement on both which are BS coaches.

Once you clip the body to the Replica chassis its very very hard to remove again so i'd recommend replacing those clips with screws or something.

post-174-128060863592_thumb.jpg

post-174-128060864378.jpg

post-174-128060864898_thumb.jpg

post-174-128060862856.jpg

Hi

I truned an Old Airfix one in to a Southern one, i know its not 100% right ,but untill somone makes some that all we realy have.

All the best

Darren

PS still need to add the running numbers.....next week.

post-6929-128062660298.jpg

Archived