Immingham TMD

magic_monkey09

Thought i may as well start a layout topic on this one seeing as i've not done one before and its nice to keep people informed on what im up to modelling wise :)

Basically, i plan to make a modern image diesel depot roughly based on the North end of Immingham TMD, seeing as its modelled in present day EWS/DB era the depot will be used only for signing on, stabling, light serving and refueling... Most of the time the shed doors will be pictured closed with locomotives stabled infront of them. I plan to have working depot mounted floodlights/tower lights and possibly working position light signals for good night time shots if all goes well. The depot's structure will bare alot of resemblence to the real Immingham depot but is not a direct model of it However, it will be called Immingham nevertheless B) .

Track will be OO Hornby/peco to help progress and save time/cost and to avoid venturing into unexplored waters :lol:

Models will be mainly the Latest spec Hornby class 60's, a couple of Bachmann EWS sheds, and perhaps the occasional 37 ;) how could you justify a depot layout without at least one :P

Work has started already with the wooden frames having been cut out already and the front frame already sporting some box profile steel plasticard B)

here are some shots of where it has got to so far...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?app=gallery&module=user&user=5606&do=view_album&album=564

the doors in place are just for show at the moment as you can see they are too small and came off a previous project :lol: i will make some decent ones soon that are the right height and width

3 depot spotlights have been added above the doors with two more left to add

MM

post-5606-128198490817_thumb.jpg

Sounds good, Looking forward to seeing more. My layouts service point has the roller doors firmly shut. Immingham, a great area to model, go sector era...

Regards

Leon

aye ;) great place back in its hay-day B) I always liked how it had its owners decal on the water tower, first RF and then loadhaul... which is still there i think

What an excellent project MM, great subject. Your shed looks superb, great modelling.

I look forward to seeing a nice line up of 60s outside the shed! biggrin.gif

cheers Grimely Grid, glad you like it :D The layout will feature plenty of Tugs and working depot lights B)

next thing i'll be doing is joining the sides and covering them with plasticard similar to the front

Hi

I will be very interested in seeing this layout develop as not only is it a TMD but also based around EWS operations,are plenty of 60s and 66s to be expected to be seen 'on shed'? :D B)

Regards

Lewis

yup, mainly 60's, 66's and 08's ......maybe a 37 if i can get away with it though B)

Just looked at your gallery and it's looking great.

Could I ask what colour / make ballast you have used as it looks just right?

Dave

on my loft layout i used Woodland scenics Medium grey Ballast, but it has been weathered to varying degrees with differen't types of Acrylic paints :) unfortunately i did not take note of the exact shades of paint which gives it its dirty stained look.

Immingham will be a seperate project from my loft layout and built on a different baseboard :)

Immingham will be mainly used for shunt manoevers and as a Diarama for taking photo's whereas my loft layout is used for continuous running, ideal for HST's B)

Hi

Just seen your pics of your excellent model of 60039,could you possibly post some more images of the loco? :)

post-6254-128069644349_thumb.jpg

Regards

Lewis

Lewis, no probs buddy i will upload more shots of 60039 but i'll let you in on a little secret :P it has only been partially re-numbered at the moment :lol: if you look closely you can see that the front still carries 60026 as does the other side :lol: ive been meaning to get it done just been a little side-tracked lately building the depot :D

On a brighter note though another Tug has joined the Immingham fleet today in the form of another Mainline blue 60 which will become 60011 with a spot of remumbering and patch work painting B)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/gallery/image/21001-mainline-60jpg/

Are you going to include a model of the coaling tower, or is that at the wrong end of the shed? It would certainly identify the location if you did, as Immingham's the only modern depot with one left!

interesting question and quite a puzzler... B) The original plan was to just model the shed and storage lines but i suppose it could easily be extended if all goes to plan.. Im not too knowledgable when it comes to Steam era buildings but are either of the Hornby or Bachmann coaling towers similar to that of Immingham? :mellow:

The Hornby coal tower is supposedly based on Immingham but will need modification to depict the crumbling mass of to-day. Also in between this and the former TMD was the section of the former steam shed, now demolished, left behind after the Diesel Depot opened in February 1966, for wagon repairs (covered locomotive storage after wagon repair ceased around 1990) and heavy lifting of locomotives. The fuel point was re-located adjacent to the coal tower after closure of the TMD. in February 2008 although the old fuel point is still used for coolant filling as there was no supply provided at the new fuel point.

Thanks david B) nice little bit of info there ;) i have to admit i have restricted knowledge as to where things are at the moment as i have limited pictures to work from, i believe the coaling tower is at the right end of Immingham im modelling but it is quite a distance from the modern serving shed. A field trip to the real thing seems out of the question as it seems to be right in the middle of an industrial hub surrounded by pipeslines and barbed wire fencing :angry:

could do with a nice little model of Grey 08401 to go outside the shed methinks B)

The Hornby model doesn't represent the coaling tower at Immingham at all.However it does look very much like the coaling tower at Carnforth.The tower at Immingham was built to LNER design and although does the same job looks rather different when compared to the LMS design at Carnforth.Bachmann scenecrafts also is a representation to Carnforth rather than Imminghams.

At £50 Hornbys is rather expensive and as it is made of resin it would be difficult to modify.

A scratchbuilt tower made from a mounting card frame and a cover layer of suitable Plasticard would be far cheaper and you could make a more accurate representation of Imminghams coaling tower.But as the layout isn't strictly set on immingham TMD then you could use the Hornby or Bachmann offerings. :)

Regards

Lewis

It's pretty hard to get close to Immingham coaling tower, but you can see the top of it from Kings Road fairly clearly. You can even see the coaling tower from the A180, if you know exactly where to look. I suspect the main trick to modelling it would be to get the colour right - 1940s concrete covered in lichen/algae, a rather dark green-grey.

the layout isn't strictly set on immingham TMD

Its.. lets say a very close replica of Immingham shed not an exact clone.. it will bear alot of resemblence but there may be some tiny un-noticable differences.

the Coaling tower is not part of the layout plan for the time being, at the moment i am focusing on the servicing shed B)

Not exactly an update as such :P just a couple of new additions for the layout project in the forms of two new EWS sheds! B) i was suprised to stumble across not just one but two brand new models :lol: stocks of these are becoming a rarity now and i couldn't help but snatch them both up for Immingham :) unlike most people i actually like the 66 particularly the EWS liveried ones :P After all, where would the British freight network be today without the GM's ;) Now... where are my Model Master 66 decals ;) a spot of re-numbering is in order methinks :lol:

here are the new models outside of the 'work in progress' depot B)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/gallery/image/21339-either-love-em-or-hate-em-two-new-sheds-arrive-to-join-the-immingham-project/

mm

The lights look good mate.

Any chance of a bit more info? Which leds & resistors did you use? An chance of a close up photo with the lights off to see how you have mounted them?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am just building a scalescenes diesel depot and I'm at the stage where I need to decide if I'm adding lights before I out the roof on.

Thanks

Dave

The lights look good mate.

Any chance of a bit more info? Which leds & resistors did you use? An chance of a close up photo with the lights off to see how you have mounted them?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am just building a scalescenes diesel depot and I'm at the stage where I need to decide if I'm adding lights before I out the roof on.

Thanks

Dave

Dave- they are specially shaped and painted brass floodlamps taken from 2 CRsignals tower lights. They are mounted by drilling a small hole (2mil drillbit) in the front of the depot with the wire threaded through then the base of the lamp superglued into position. These LED'S are unsual ones as they only have 1 wire coming from them so i had to solder an Earth wire onto them to create a circuit however, i still retained the original CRsignals resistors (x2) ..... Note the CRsignals tower lights do cost 35 quid a throw so this way isn't cheap i'm afraid... most unusually the copper wires that CR-signals provide with these lights somewhat defy the laws of physics as they do not short if they touch each other therfore insulation tape is not required... Im afraid my wiring is quite hard to follow even for myself to explain to some degree of sense not to mention the way in which i had to customise these to get them to work properly meaning your probably better off seeking advice from someone more experienced in electrics than myself ... perhaps even creating a topic in the questions/help forum. Sorry i can't be of more help mate.

MM

Archived