LMS 7 LNER Coaches

Hello all

I thought I'd file a new post for these.

Here are the three coaches I showed you a couple of weeks ago in bare primer. They're finished now with their paint and weathering completed and ready for delivery to the client.

post-6187-128048507946_thumb.jpgpost-6187-128048508428_thumb.jpgpost-6187-128048508883_thumb.jpg

And the next dance please!

Alan McMillan

They all look very nice. One thing puzzles me though. The Thompson non-corridor coach looks to be maroon. Is this merely under-exposed carmine?

Thanks Larry. The non corridor Thompson is maroon.

Alan

Thanks Larry. The non corridor Thompson is maroon.

Hi Alan, If maroon then this is why I did not comment further earlier. The number was positioned at the LH end only in the early 1950s. By the time maroon was adopted by BR in mid 1956 the number was at the RH end.

Hi Alan, If maroon then this is why I did not comment further earlier. The number was positioned at the LH end only in the early 1950s. By the time maroon was adopted by BR in mid 1956 the number was at the RH end.

Hi Larry

I have it on good authority from a friend of mine who used served his apprenticeship on BR from 1956 to 1961 that a few brake ends escaped St Rollox works in the early days of maroon with the numbers at the guard's compartment end on both sides. Apparently they didn't last long.

Alan

Hi Alan,

Brilliant models!

Two little queries relating to my well-known fascination with SC numbers.

1. Can't quite read the no. on the D1703. What is it and how do you know it was SC?

2. You have used the "small c" version of "SC" on the Thompson. I know manufacturers of decals include these but I have never seen photographic evidence of their use except possibly on DMUs. What info. do you have on this?

Alan

Hi Alan,

Brilliant models!

Two little queries relating to my well-known fascination with SC numbers.

1. Can't quite read the no. on the D1703. What is it and how do you know it was SC?

2. You have used the "small c" version of "SC" on the Thompson. I know manufacturers of decals include these but I have never seen photographic evidence of their use except possibly on DMUs. What info. do you have on this?

Alan

Hi Alan

Thank you for your comments.

The number on the D1703 is SC 20209 M and it's the number I was asked to give it by my client. Maybe he has photographic evidence as to its authenticity - I only did what I was asked.

As to the lower case C on the Thompson... I have to be honest I hadn't really noticed that the upper case SC was used on coaches and Sc only on DMUs so maybe I'm wrong. I've used them often in the past for this chap and he's never mentioned it to me, but I bow to superior knowledge and will make a note to check and if necessary, modify those I have already done.

Thanks for the information Alan.

The other Alan

Archived