What the hell has happened to my N-Class?

Weymouth Pannier

I was sorting some stock out yesterday and made a rather alarming discovery when I checked my Bachmann N-Class:

post-7411-128048520341.jpg

post-7411-128048521191.jpg

post-7411-128048521977.jpg

All my stock is kept in original boxes, and stored carefully in a cupboard. I can't understand how the body of the loco has become so distorted? My other locos all appear ok - it's just this one. It reminded me immediately of how the old Hornby Jintys used to look after the plastic fatigued over time and the cab used to end up tilting forwards and the running plates would buckle. I have another N and this appears ok, although there is a very slight forward lean on the cab - but certainly nothing to the degree seen here. The boiler/firebox appears to be in true and the distortion seems to have effected the cab and running plate, which has in turn distorted the orientation of the cylinders and smoke defelectors.

I'm just curious whether anyone else has had an N suffer a similar fate, and whether anyone has any idea what's caused it.

Hello, Weymouth Pannier!

You are not alone, just very late! It happened to lots of them, quite early in their lifetime. It was (probably) a fault in the manufacturing process, caused by (almost certainly) contamination in the mazac mixture ?impurities in the zinc).

It's well-documentd in the former version of this Forum.

Bachmann readily acknowledged the issue and provided free replacement loco footplates, but you then had to turn your loco into a kit, and rebuild it on the new footplate. This solved the problem!

I don't know if they still have any replacement footplates available - you'll have to ask Barwell. Try phone, e-mail or post a letter. I got my replacement in response to a letter a few years ago without having to send them the proof.

Happily, it seems to be the only Bachmann loco to have suffered this, but see threads on Hornby Class 31 and Heljan Class 47 (at least!)

There is also an article on this type of problem in the September 2010 'Model Collector', which suggests storage methods that allegedly minimize the risk, but as it is a chemical process (or metallurgical one) causing it, if the mazac's wrong, the deformation will occur - at a time unknown!

Best of luck with Bachmann, who were ceertainly very open and helpful a few years ago!

Richard

I think I can top this.

I will see if I can get some photos posted up of what happened to the footplate of my N-class body. You're lucky that yours only bent. Mine actually shattered.

Not surprised by that as the class 31 chassis I had go did the same sort of thing where its about the same thickness as a footplate. Every major player has now had a model affected by this issue of a bad batch of material in China and they have all done very well in addressing the issue (though I should probably wait for the 31 to come back before I say that!).

Dapol are trying to avoid the issue being possible on the class 22 with a Tungsten chassis instead!

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

As Richard said this is a well known defect with the early Bachmann N Class batches particularly 31813. It's the metal in the footplate deteriorating. Mine shattered too. About 3 years ago after a campaign on SEMG Bachmann accepted it was a widespread problem and got in some replacement footplates. I managed to get two replacements at the time (although it does involve stripping and rebuilding your N Class).I'd Contact Bachmann customer services if i were you.

I remember being told about this particular problem with early N class locos. Luckily it has not affected later batches.

Contaminated Mazak issues are nothing new; Dinky Toys and early Hornby Dublo turned up quite a few models with issues. Unfortunately, as it is a chemical reaction, it will go brittle regardless of what you do to store it (though I believe damp and heat conditions will accelerate it) and have witnessed over the years too many prewar Hornby Dublo wheels and chasses disintegrate with no regard for the fact that some of these were very valuable models! :P

Thanks for the replies. I'm relieved it's nothing to do with the way I've stored the loco and that none of my other stock should be effected in a similar way. I'll try and contact Bachmann and see what they say! It's typical though - I have two N-Classes: one detailed and weathered, the other as new and with no time spent working on it. It had to be the one I spent the time working on that decided to suffer from this problem! Buh!

I discovered that my 31813 was even more bent than this about 9 months ago. I returned it to my local model shop, and even though I must have bought it anything between 5 and 10 years ago, and no longer had any proof of purchase, he accepted it back and said he would contact Bachmann. Nine months later! a perfect replacement arrived, so presumably Bachmann still have the parts to sort this problem out. Good luck.

Archived