Creative Photography (Railway Related)

Ian J.

• RMweb Gold

What focal length was that at Jim - any idea?  There seems to be a distinct loss of parallels away from the centre.

i haven't got a clue, i'll check the date stamp thing on the pic when i get a chance, i wondered why it was like that, although its obviously wrong i think it adds something to the picture!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

i wondered why it was like that, although its obviously wrong i think it adds something to the picture!

Hi Jim,

Converging verticals like that are caused by having the camera low down, tipped up at the subject. It often happens when trying to photograph tall buildings. It's worse with a wide-angle lens.

post-1103-0-64771800-1393430361.jpg

Most photo-editing programs can correct it as above -- assuming you want to, it looked very dramatic as it was. :)

Martin.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

that looks spot on martin, unfortunately I've wiped the picture off the memory chip and the computer doesn't tell me what the F settings etc were on the picture but yes the camera was about 5 ft off the ground and pointing skywards as the signal cabinet it was sat on had a sloping top!

Somewhere in Wales.....

Give us a clue :)

If you had crouched down a little, you could have missed out that horrid debris, showing above the platform edge.  Otherwise, nicely observed.

Mike

Edited by MikeOxon

...If you had crouched down a little, you could have missed out that horrid debris, showing above the platform edge... 

And if he'd moved to the right a bit, missed out the horrid debris on the left...

Meanwhile, north of Beighton, near Woodhouse, I liked the big sky with the power lines versus the small train:

post-6971-0-53302800-1394363973.jpg

and at Beighton Junction, a shot into the sun was so monochrome, apart from the signal, that I converted the rest of it to black and white. I'm not 100% convinced though:

post-6971-0-32755500-1394364550.jpg

• Like 4

And if he'd moved to the right a bit, missed out the horrid debris on the left...

Meanwhile, north of Beighton, near Woodhouse, I liked the big sky with the power lines versus the small train:

attachicon.gifIMGP7847.jpg

and at Beighton Junction, a shot into the sun was so monochrome, apart from the signal, that I converted the rest of it to black and white. I'm not 100% convinced though:

attachicon.gifIMGP7844.jpg

I think B/W is very effective for shots like this - especially as you have kept the red signal light!

Just found this thread.  Some good stuff, here's some of mine:

A couple of shots from Ulceby on 24th June 2005.  I worked away all week and needed to do something in the evenings.  I must have visited all the rail related places for photo's in the Doncaster area.

post-2484-0-35400800-1394491447_thumb.jpg

post-2484-0-51873100-1394491470_thumb.jpg

I went past Rotherham one evening (15th July 2005) and saw this interesting pair of repeaters:

post-2484-0-25250500-1394491495_thumb.jpg

Home at the weekends was Norwich.  On the morning of 4th September 2005 took this misty shot at Brundall:

post-2484-0-95872100-1394491518_thumb.jpg

Last one was late on the 24th June 2005, as the light was fading.  With the camera on a tripod I could see what I thought was a bird on the rail head.  Later I could see it was a very large rat:

post-2484-0-33749000-1394491552_thumb.jpg

Here is a clip of the previous picture.  I've heard of the 'Dogs Bo!!o***', this rat was truly a 'King Rat' judging by the size of his 'under carriage'

post-2484-0-47160400-1394491572_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Just found this thread.  Some good stuff, here's some of mine:

Nice pics :) - I like the 2nd and 4th best. 

The inclusion of the green signal 'makes' no.2 and you have handled the exposure for the bright metal reflections very well.  The misty morning shot is very atmospheric and I like the silhouette of the signalman in the box. 

No.1 is too cluttered for me and I think a vertical crop of No.3, to select the key elements of the flowering buddleia, and the indicators, might be a good idea - the pipework on the right is a bit ugly but that's just my taste - I tend to take the 'less is more' approach.

post-19820-0-32943800-1394539380.jpg

Suggested crop on your original

That's some rat -i thought it was a cat at first glance!

Mike

• Like 1

I went past Rotherham one evening (15th July 2005) and saw this interesting pair of repeaters:

Better with a train? 

post-6971-0-08792400-1394570091.jpg

As a "creative" shot, I think mine's too cluttered. Think it might count as "interesting" instead.

Really just to show that by 2012, those repeaters had been replaced by LED versions. The buddleia hasn't been upgraded though, and the "40" sign is still skewiff.

• Like 1

that looks spot on martin, unfortunately I've wiped the picture off the memory chip and the computer doesn't tell me what the F settings etc were on the picture but yes the camera was about 5 ft off the ground and pointing skywards as the signal cabinet it was sat on had a sloping top!

you can establish the settings with exif