The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

GBBF

grahame

• RMweb Premium

Regrettably, I won't be there as

A. I can't walk and

B My pain killers are contra-indicated with any alcohol

C. It's too far away!

Other than that I'd love to go, as I used to love the CAMRA festivals. In fact, I served at the first one at Covent Garden flower market back in the 1970s when CAMRA was but a small organisation. In fact my first CAMRA membership number was something in the 400s. Thise were the days, when real ale meant a hunt and was like finding a diamond in a midden, except in South London where Young's ruled supreme. (And in thse days there were only FOUR Fullers' pubs serving unpressurised offerings)

• RMweb Premium

It's changed a lot since the first one at Covent Garden where there was NO brewery support, apart from Sam Smiths who sent a rep to make sure that their beer was well kept and served - he also acted as an unofficial supplier of spare beer dispensing paraphernalia like shives, spiles, and the like. All the beers were racked up on the flower stands, and they were kept cool by placing sacks over them and then using a pump to spray cold water onto the sacks - no cask jackets. Each brew had a daily quota, and once that was gone, that particular stand closed - towards the end of the day, there were more and more punters chasing after less and less beers. The only thing that seems not to have changed is the way in which the punters manage to get leggo! ;)

Archived