Coaching Stock for LI

On an earlier thread I posed the question as to what suburban stock the L1 class would have pulled out of Marylebone on the High Wycombe/Princes Risborough/Woodford Halse service, bearing in mind the new Hornby L1 offering. This is a thank you for all the answers I received, and to add some additional information.

Thanks for coming back to do this Robert. I've now merged the topics to keep all this useful info together.

Cheers.

In the latest issue of Steam Days is an article by Neil Sprinks entitled "Out and About on the Met & GC". One of the accompanying photos shows L1 67715 in apple green leaving Marylebone in the winter of 1948-49. Only the first four coaches are visible: they are articulated pairs of Gresley parentage.

Chris

Thanks for the link etc. Incidentally the Model Railway News for August 1945 contains an article by J N Maskelyne on the introduction of the L1's, with a picture of one in apple green with "NE" on the side. Maskelyne really disliked this form of abbreviation, thinking it made one think of "non-entity."! angry.gif

BTW I think coachman's points are valid about the Blue Pullman, but as a sometime accountant I try to distinguish between cost and price. The RRP on the latest Hornby six wheel Pullman cars is over £40, but what the cost is I don't know. Compared to them, the still excellent Bachmann BR Mark I's seem very good value at less than £20 in most cases. I shouldn't imagine the production costs are much different, but the whole concept of "market pricing" comes into it I guess. The Pullmans are the "rising stars", the Mark I's the "cash cows", and we all know about "the dogs"!

I suppose I would grit my teeth and pay a hundred quid for a twin art if it were done to a very good standard, but I wouldn't be buying multiple rakes of them! I probably have hours of kit bashing and chopping and fixing ahead, (as if I don't have anything else to do!)

Robert

Bachmanns old chestnuts, the Mk.I non-corridor coaches, probably feature on just about every layout ever built where a suburban train is required.

However, a lessor well known sourse of Mk.I suburbans (long chassis variant)is Replica Railways. A feature on these 'kits' can be found in the September issue of Hornby Magazine.

Larry

Indeed and a useful feature it is too. The Replica body deserves a better underframe though! One snag: the article says "This set has been finished for use on a London Midland Region branch". Why, when the long version was only allocated to the Western and Southern Regions?

Chris

Archived