WS&MR coach photos needed

• RMweb Premium

Having bought a nice shiny Hornby Wrexham and Shropshire 67 and MK3 DVT i want to make a set of matching coaches, silver and grey ones, not blue and grey. I am looking for good photos of theses coaches, and particularly the specially converted buffet coach. Had a Google and a Fotopic and couldn't find any decent ones. Does anyone out there in RMweb land have any good photos? Please post them here or PM me.

Thanks

Tom

• RMweb Premium

Do you mean Wrexham and Shropshire ? W&S ? - W,S & MR is the limited company name, everyone else calls it the W&S, have you searched for that ?

Yes and yes. Most of the photos on t'internet are just of the 67 at the front, or are of the train as formed with the Cargo D blue and grey coaches.

• RMweb Premium

Dave,

Try Desiro's Fotopic site!! (Wrexham January 2010)

Chris

Is Desiro someones user name on here? I had a quick search but couldn't find his name.

Thanks for the links to the other two sites, they have a fair few good photos of the coaches. Now i have to decide whether to bother trying to widen the doors or not on my Mk 3s. Seems like a lot of faf for something i didn't notice till it was pointed out.

• RMweb Gold

Is Desiro someones user name on here? I had a quick search but couldn't find his name.

Thanks for the links to the other two sites, they have a fair few good photos of the coaches. Now i have to decide whether to bother trying to widen the doors or not on my Mk 3s. Seems like a lot of faf for something i didn't notice till it was pointed out.

Desiro is my son, here's his site.

http://www.johnskipsey.fotopic.net/

• RMweb Gold

I know. The irony was obviously lost on you!

Anyway, there's some good pics of the coaches on his site (and your YouTube vids).

All the best,

Chris

Double Bluff Mr Bond :P

honest :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

If you search on fotopic using the coach numbers you will get some pictures - the four RFMs are 10208, 10230, 10236 and 10255.

So far as I've noticed the TSs are in their original form, but the RFMs are fairly heavily modified, with the window layout much altered. I guess this is why Hornby are producing the Cargo-D coaches; it will enable them to use a standard RFM pattern as the Cargo-D RFMs are unaltered.

In N, Dapol are going to produce an RFM to go with their W&S set (I asked a few months ago). I don't know whether they will tailor this so that it has the correct window layout.

• RMweb Premium

If you search on fotopic using the coach numbers you will get some pictures - the four RFMs are 10208, 10230, 10236 and 10255.

So far as I've noticed the TSs are in their original form, but the RFMs are fairly heavily modified, with the window layout much altered. I guess this is why Hornby are producing the Cargo-D coaches; it will enable them to use a standard RFM pattern as the Cargo-D RFMs are unaltered.

In N, Dapol are going to produce an RFM to go with their W&S set (I asked a few months ago). I don't know whether they will tailor this so that it has the correct window layout.

One mod that is very hard to spot unless you know is that they have widened the doors on all the coaches to meet disability access requirements. Like i say you can only see it if you look for it, and probably not worth trying to model, but an interesting wee mod no the less. I'm planning to cut and shut a Lima buffet and a Lima FO to make the RFM, don't thing my skills are up to scratch building the window arrangement. :D

One mod that is very hard to spot unless you know is that they have widened the doors on all the coaches to meet disability access requirements. Like i say you can only see it if you look for it, and probably not worth trying to model, but an interesting wee mod no the less. I'm planning to cut and shut a Lima buffet and a Lima FO to make the RFM, don't thing my skills are up to scratch building the window arrangement. biggrin.gif

Have to say that despite having travelled on them a couple of weeks ago I didn't notice that the doors had been widened, and even looking at photos it's hard to spot - how much were they widened by?

• RMweb Premium

Have to say that despite having travelled on them a couple of weeks ago I didn't notice that the doors had been widened, and even looking at photos it's hard to spot - how much were they widened by?

I don't know exactly, i read this on a fotopic site whilst looking for photos. Looking at the photos it doesn't seem to be much, no more then 6 inches i would guess. Just enough to get a wheelchair through i suppose. I could be wrong though, like i say i read it on someone's fotopic site.

• RMweb Gold

I don't know exactly, i read this on a fotopic site whilst looking for photos. Looking at the photos it doesn't seem to be much, no more then 6 inches i would guess. Just enough to get a wheelchair through i suppose. I could be wrong though, like i say i read it on someone's fotopic site.

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, especially enthusiast type sites. Having photographed these quite extensively over the last few years those is no obvious difference in the door width to me (my last viewing was less than 2 hours ago) - however I am happy to be proved wrong.

• RMweb Gold

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, especially enthusiast type sites. Having photographed these quite extensively over the last few years those is no obvious difference in the door width to me (my last viewing was less than 2 hours ago) - however I am happy to be proved wrong.

I've just compared them with a few other pics of my own of MK3 vehicles and the doors don't seem to be any wider, let alone by as much as 6 inches. And as HST/Mk3 doors can in any case take a standard wheelchair why would it be widened 'for wheelchair purposes' I wonder?

Like Beast I am sceptical on this one but am more than happy to see some official information which corrects me. (PS 'official' does not mean Wikipaedia of course ;) )

• RMweb Premium

I've just compared them with a few other pics of my own of MK3 vehicles and the doors don't seem to be any wider, let alone by as much as 6 inches. And as HST/Mk3 doors can in any case take a standard wheelchair why would it be widened 'for wheelchair purposes' I wonder?

Like Beast I am sceptical on this one but am more than happy to see some official information which corrects me. (PS 'official' does not mean Wikipaedia of course ;) )

Maybe what they mean is all the internal doors and partitions have been modified to allow wider opening for wheelchairs?

You might need to forgive my blondeness but am I correct in assuming that Beast's photo above shows M11029- the FO with the non-standard roof? I know that you cannot trust monitors/photos to accurately portray shades etc but that blue on the roof looks to be a touch darker than the rail blue on the cantrail. Has it ever been established why M11029 has a blue roof at all? My theory is that it is a remnant of the time that it carried Cotswold silver/blue and the roof has simply not been repainted.

Incidentally I am glad that the conclusion has been reached regarding the supposed widening of some of the doors. I spent a good half half gazing at some side on shots of the coaches and for the life of me could not see how the widening had occurred. I was about to book an appointment with SpecSavers after the Bank Holiday!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nat,

it is indeed M11029 (but no idea why it is different !)

post-6662-128316158296_thumb.jpg

The W&S is 10255

post-6662-128316172427_thumb.jpg

The train was passing at about 65mph so not easy to get good shots I'm afraid.

Here's the train shot ..

29 August 2010, Rossett

67015, David J. Lloyd, and 82304 on 1P54, 17:02, Wrexham General - London Marylebone

(line closed, Wrexham - Shrewsbury so trains diverted via Chester / Crewe)

post-6662-128316184355_thumb.jpg

Archived