Video: The Ffestiniog Railway, Monday 2nd August 2010

PenrithBeacon

I spent the last week in and around North Wales on holiday. I took a fair amount of footage on the Ffestinog and Welsh Highland Railways and this film is of the Ffestiniog on Monday, 2nd August. Locomotives featured are ‘Blanche’, ‘Earl of Merioneth’ and ‘Merddin Emrys’ while locations are Porthmadoc Harbour and Cob, Boston Lodge, Tan-y-Bwlch, Tanygrisau and Dduallt.

Regards

I spent the last week in and around North Wales on holiday. I took a fair amount of footage on the Ffestinog and Welsh Highland Railways and this film is of the Ffestiniog on Monday, 2nd August. Locomotives featured are ‘Blanche’, ‘Earl of Merioneth’ and ‘Merddin Emrys’ while locations are Porthmadoc Harbour and Cob, Boston Lodge, Tan-y-Bwlch, Tanygrisau and Dduallt.

Regards

Nice video there, at 6 minutes, 9 minutes and 9.40 is the evidence that Mr EDM models(Paul Martin) really is driving trains on the FR for his holiday!

Phil T.

Nice video there, at 6 minutes, 9 minutes and 9.40 is the evidence that Mr EDM models(Paul Martin) really is driving trains on the FR for his holiday!

Phil T.

I just spotted Paul too Phil; you beat me to it.

I just spotted Paul too Phil; you beat me to it.

The gent in question has just sent me a video of the new L&B replica 'LYD' shunting at Boston Lodge, its on youtube titled 'LYD at Boston Lodge', and reports that it has been out on a test train of 5 coaches, he's given no verdict on performance though.

Phil T.

Now thats what I call an engine!

Several questions....

Why was it green lined out a few months ago and is plain black now?

Also what is the story?

Is this a brand new loco and where will it run?

LG

The new out of works loco's on the FR are turned out in black in case mods have to be carried out, saves spanner and hammer marks on an expensive and possibly elaborate livery. The lined out green was a quite average temporary paint job applied to help the fund raising image at FR gala's etc.

It is a new loco, funded privately by folks who paid the FR to build parts of it, originally started by one of the guys on the Launceston Railway. Has been in progress for a good number of years as funds became available. I believe it is to visit the reborn L&B sometime in the future but where home is to be I'm not sure.

I will try and get an official story whilst I am over at Boston Lodge this weekend. Perhaps get Paul to comment as he has a 7mm kit for the L&B loco's in the offing, held up by wanting to see the Joy valve gear amongst other things, his comment to me was on the lines of ' Its b----y wierd to watch and its going to be damned tight in 7mm'.

Phil T.

The new out of works loco's on the FR are turned out in black in case mods have to be carried out, saves spanner and hammer marks on an expensive and possibly elaborate livery. The lined out green was a quite average temporary paint job applied to help the fund raising image at FR gala's etc.

It is a new loco, funded privately by folks who paid the FR to build parts of it, originally started by one of the guys on the Launceston Railway. Has been in progress for a good number of years as funds became available. I believe it is to visit the reborn L&B sometime in the future but where home is to be I'm not sure.

I will try and get an official story whilst I am over at Boston Lodge this weekend. Perhaps get Paul to comment as he has a 7mm kit for the L&B loco's in the offing, held up by wanting to see the Joy valve gear amongst other things, his comment to me was on the lines of ' Its b----y wierd to watch and its going to be damned tight in 7mm'.

Phil T.

Apologies to Penrithbeacon for hi=jacking this thread, last time I promise. For the story on LYD try www.whrsoc.org.uk/whrproject/whrstock.htm and click on LYD.

Phil T.

Phil T.

Hiya Phil,

Ha, ha, ha! That sounds just like Paul, i guess he's not changed one bit!

It sounds like it's going to be one stunning loco in prototype (& model) form!

Cheers and my apologies too for thread jacking!

John E.

Archived