More of the old Midland / S&D at Bath to go

• RMweb Premium

In searching for soemthing else at work today I came across this development proposal for Bath: http://www.bathwesternriverside.co.uk . As far as I can make out it redevelops a big chunk of Western Bath that includes the former Midland line into Bath Green Park. The gas works is part of the background to many photos found in S&D books. More railway heritage going, going, gone....

Edited link but.... (see post below).

I no longer live in Bath so I can't presume to be keeping up with the developments there as much as I used to be able to, but this proposal has been floating around for a long while. I can't open your link for some reason (blame the computer) but if, as the link title suggests, it dates from Summer 2007 then the plans have changed quite considerably since. In true Bath style the protests kicked in quite quickly and the plans have undergone goodness knows how many rewrites since.

All but the largest of the gasholders were removed over a weekend a couple of years ago, but the largest was still standing when I finally moved away at the end of June. If past experience of Bath is anything to go by, this project probably still has a few more years of stalling to go yet.

• RMweb Gold

Alas, I have two big regrets about the old Midland line in Bath - first of all, I was too timid to join other boys from school trespassing in the yard and generally on the line, in it's final freight-only days in 1971 and then that I didn't take photos when I finally did start exploring it shortly after the track had been lifted!

Archived