Earl of Devon Pub - Phase 1 Completed

I have now completed the Phase I construction of the Earl of Devon Pub Building (less windows, interiors and roof). The Proof of Concept Model shell has been finished and I await some feedback from ChrisF regarding a detail on the "final" building before finishing the "final" buildings' shell.

First off are the pictures of the PoC placed in situ on its' base (but not yet mounted).

post-123-128168299951.jpg

post-123-128168304102.jpg

post-123-128168309538.jpg

You will notice (more clearly below) that on the PoC one of the rear windows has been "filled in" and is lighter than the rest of the wall. This is due to the fact that that this rear window - which looked fine on the plan - just doesn't look right in situ. So I thought that I could modify the construction so that it would look like a doorway that had been filled in at a later date. Watergoods (except for the stench pipe) on the PoC are made from brass rod and strip, soldered together, etched primed and then painted and mounted. The exterior lights were a pain as nothing I had (or could find) were suitable (usually far too large), so I built my own from some old Brawa N-gauge street lamps that I had picked up for a few Euros some years ago. After dismantling the lamps, I bored out a 2mm plastic rod and glued it all together. They are quite acceptable, albeit a little plain.

Here are some comparison photos of the PoC and the "final" model. The "final" model does not have cracked edges where the embossed plasticard is bent around a window edge or a chimney stack (something I learned to do on the PoC). The "final" model has white metal castings for all but one downpipe, I had planned to use white metal castings for both models, but ran out when assigning materials to each model (hence the homemade downpipes for the PoC). Another "learning" carried over from the PoC was to use black plasticard to line the model, instead of white (saving on the time needed to paint the liner!)

post-123-128168346041.jpg

post-123-128168348903.jpg

post-123-128168351949.jpg

Finally, some detail closeups. first off the PoC:

post-123-128168357381.jpg

post-123-128168360392.jpg

Secondly, the various improvements of the "final" model over the PoC. In sequence they are: improved "wraparound" of the embossed plastic sheet into window recesses and around the chimney stack; better matching (and cutting) of the embossed plasticard to minimise the join, and finally the black plasticard liner (note the holes bored to allow for the solvent fumes to escape).

post-123-128168374706.jpg post-123-128168378364.jpg

post-123-128168381632.jpg post-123-128168384596.jpg

I am now a bit stuck as I await the window etches (a special order), although it's not that I can't make progress: I have the roofs to sort out, the "final" base to complete detailing and the interiors to build, but I can't make the blank window covers (as in the GTH) or mount the buildings on their bases until I have installed the window etches.

Anyway, further details (Phase II: Interiors) to be posted soon.

Your comments and feedback are sought

F

• RMweb Gold

I have now completed the Phase I construction of the Earl of Devon Pub Building (less windows, interiors and roof).

Your comments and feedback are sought

Well up to your usual standard, and I'm not surprised the clients are impressed so far. Now, are you quite sure you don't fancy doing a model of The Drum at Cockington? It's thatched, by the way - if that helps!

As we would expect from you, Flavio - Craftsman standard. Look forward to seeing the finished article

Well up to your usual standard, and I'm not surprised the clients are impressed so far. Now, are you quite sure you don't fancy doing a model of The Drum at Cockington? It's thatched, by the way - if that helps!

Yet another excuse for "on-site" research !! :smile_mini: :smile_mini:

Dennis

Archived