Layout Idea's & Plans

br-nse-fan

Of course not.. but with all model railways, there is 'modellers license' allowed. Can always do a 'what if' layout, based on a particular station or area.

By the time Swanage closed in the 70's, it was basically a very long single line siding.

I was suggesting a 'what if' Swanage had never closed, and continued to be a busy route as it was in the 50's & 60's.

Confusion - why is a 24 alongside a 158? Why is an 08 alongside a 411? Why did this Swanageoid need a TMD in the 158/411 era?blink.gif

Confusion - why is a 24 alongside a 158? Why is an 08 alongside a 411? Why did this Swanageoid need a TMD in the 158/411 era?blink.gif

I admit, finding a 24 along side a 158 is a bitof a stretch, but I've always liked the class and want to run one on my fictional layout based on a real location.

An 08 would be, and still could be found all over the network. I think the question should be "why wouldn't an 08 be found in the same vicinity as a 411, especially in the mid-to-late 1980's?"

This "Swanageoid", as you put it, originally had a small loco facility with a turn table when steamers were being run, why is it so far out of the realm of reasonable possibilities that a refueling point / loco stable replace the turn table and coaling tower?

i cant actually see what the issue is if a 411 an 08 and a 158 are seen together, ok the 411 may not be a refurbed one (if it is a kitbuilt refurb my apologies,) but surely this kinda thing was seen at places like eastleigh.....erm let me think of a particular date.....like everyday til they withdrawn the 411s, ok the 24 is a bit of an oddball but if u like it , run it, as the guys down our club say...its our trainset...im sure some puritan would raise an eyebrow at my friend/collegues reginal rail 76 and mk2 set.

BR NSE FAN pm me if u like ill send some pics of our 80s/ early 90s southeast london layout, mite give u some food for thought.!

regards dave

I admit, finding a 24 along side a 158 is a bitof a stretch, but I've always liked the class and want to run one on my fictional layout based on a real location.

An 08 would be, and still could be found all over the network. I think the question should be "why wouldn't an 08 be found in the same vicinity as a 411, especially in the mid-to-late 1980's?"

This "Swanageoid", as you put it, originally had a small loco facility with a turn table when steamers were being run, why is it so far out of the realm of reasonable possibilities that a refueling point / loco stable replace the turn table and coaling tower?

The tendency was for country depots to close and for traction maintenance to be centralised. So, for a post-1980s Swanageoid, the TMD would be somewhere like Bournemouth, and the line would be worked as an extended siding under One Train Working (formerly known as One Engine In Steam) with no signalling or track connections. With the demise of loco-hauled stock, no run-round would be needed. With the demise of vacuum-braked stock, the 24s and their likes would be absent. Parcels traffic? What date was that? And excursion traffic might be present with a steam engine one end - though a diesel would be at the other to work the train back the other way and to provide for breakdown cover. Any previously-installed goods shed, turntable and engine shed would be gone, as would the shed watering facility as the excursion steam engine would be watered from a hydrant using either a Brigade fire engine or a Green Goddess one. Two platforms might be one too many...

Modellers' licence indeed!

Modellers' licence indeed!

I'm sorry, not to be rude or disrespectful... but what part of 'fictional', 'based on' and 'what if' was I not clear about?

Anyhow.. this discussion is over.

On to what I am currently working on...

Per some previous discussions with others on the board, I'm opting to do a layout based on Weymouth, useing the premise of what if the current warehouse to the south of the station was rail served, as to add some freight movement on the layout. My thinking is to make the Quay line look mostly abandoned, as if no longer in use part way down the length. This would allow me to use the first part to hold a loco, probably an 08 for shunting purposes. Maybe a fence and gate? Not sure.

Thoughts / comments?

post-7599-128216383852_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I like this. Hope you don't mind, but I've given it another tweak to:

- widen the platforms, which look a bit skinny in yours (I may have over done this!)

- return your goods yard to something nearer your earlier version, which I preferred

- suggest more space between the quay line and the sidings and sneak a bit more usable length by shifting the gate

post-6813-128217610882_thumb.png

• RMweb Gold

It's developing nicely and here's what I suggested earlier to consider. The area shaded yellow could be a retaining wall with something on top or house backs. Just easier than a flat backscene next to the back line.

I've moved the goods sidings against the back of the platform so the nearer one could be used for parcels traffic off the platform too.

I agree with the others that cramming in a fueling point is probably going to be too busy, especially for a single line. Swanage only retained it's one due to steam locos having a short range, the turntable wasn't used much as they tended to run tanks bunker first one way or in push pull mode. It probably would have been scrapped when it needed replacing and filled in with the shed served by a sharp curve.

post-6968-128219652534.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I think that Flying Pig's is design is looking good, and putting house backs behind the platforms as PaulRhB suggests would enhance the feel of the layout, making it more like Weymouth (at least the Weymouth of my memories).

I think that your plans have come on an awfully long way from the start of the thread, and whilst having less operating potential they do look so much better to my eyes for the era you want.

• RMweb Premium

I think I can see where you are heading with that idea, but I feel that it would detract from the realism as in reality adding this in would make the signalling more complex and potentially lead to movements that block up the passenger sections of the station.

I think I can see where you are heading with that idea, but I feel that it would detract from the realism as in reality adding this in would make the signalling more complex and potentially lead to movements that block up the passenger sections of the station.

Hmmm... I think I know what you think I was thinking... (say that ten times fast!)

have alook at this...

post-7599-128222736108_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I think that you should ditch the loading dock, it just does not ring true to me.

What I would also suggest would be to extend the loop so that the first point on this is a curved one joining the yard line before the disused quay line. This would give a greater suggestion that this was once a passenger platform and would increase the length of the loop.

I think that you should ditch the loading dock, it just does not ring true to me.

What I would also suggest would be to extend the loop so that the first point on this is a curved one joining the yard line before the disused quay line. This would give a greater suggestion that this was once a passenger platform and would increase the length of the loop.

I have to say, great minds think alike... have a look at this, I just finished it up as you were posting your thoughts...

It's not decorated, but since I have the basic's down, it's now just finalising the track plan

post-7599-128222997801_thumb.jpg

Just had another thought... I dropped the extension of the 2nd line on the good/parcel loop... and added a 2nd line down near the warehouse. One line in the warehouse, one line outside... not too busy (I believe) and adds just a touch more operating value.

Thoughts?

post-7599-128223063071_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I'm not aware of a hard and fast rule, but it doesn't look right to me to connect a line adjacent to a passenger platform (your parcels road) through the goods yard. I'd expect to see parcels using a dedicated bay, or just one of the passenger roads.

I'm not aware of a hard and fast rule, but it doesn't look right to me to connect a line adjacent to a passenger platform (your parcels road) through the goods yard. I'd expect to see parcels using a dedicated bay, or just one of the passenger roads.

I agree... I'm struggling with the viability of things here...

I like the basic plan of the passenger side of the station, the disused Quay line and the rail served warehouse... but the rest just is not coming together..

HELP!

• RMweb Gold

I think the ruround on the parcels line is unnecessary as it actually limits operation. If a train needs to run round use the platform line and pull it back off scene then push it back into the yard. That's more likely for this period and leaves all the yard lines free to work as opposed to being a run round loop. If it's really busy in the station use your 08 to shunt release the goods loco in the yard. The loco can then stable on top of wagons in a siding or even in the platforms if it's a quiet period.

Don't cram in too much track and make life too easy or shunting will be boring as you don't have to work out what will fit, that's why experienced railmen cope with such arrangements. They've made the mistakes and had to move it all round again.

OK.. well.. I think I have something that I can be happy with... I am going back to an earlier idea in terms of the goods yard.

trains will run in, and have to be released by the 08 (or something else) waiting on the disused Quay line.

If and when there are parcels/newspaper coaches, they can be shunted to the end of the long platform on the back track, as it is long enough to fit two 4-coach trains with ease. The other option is that there should be enough room at the end of the 3rd platform to hold a couple coaches, and still leave room for a loco to run around it's train from the 2nd platform.

The warehouse will have an open side for the operator (me) to swap wagons around and or add/remove loads for open wagons.

post-7599-128225207564_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Now how about a longer usable fiddleyard?

Have you considered a traverser as that will give you another foot of usable space. Use drawer runners for the sliders and brass door bolts for the electrical connection on one rail, the other is always powered up which saves you buying lots of bolts. Or if it's DCC it can always be powered.

Now how about a longer usable fiddleyard?

Have you considered a traverser as that will give you another foot of usable space. Use drawer runners for the sliders and brass door bolts for the electrical connection on one rail, the other is always powered up which saves you buying lots of bolts. Or if it's DCC it can always be powered.

Hi Paul

I've thought about different methods for my fiddle yard, a traverser was one that I have considered. I have also considered doing a cassette type storage also. Makes it easier to swap off the whole train at once.

Right now, I just want to get the scenic area started. Still have not got the baseboards from my friend yet.

Based on a mirrored copy of the Weymouth track plan found in the '82 issue of Railway Modeller.

In order to make it fit in the space I have, I had to make a couple of adjustments, such as putting the 2nd set of points on the curve, instead of after.

The Quay line may or may not be 'abandoned' and used as a siding

I may take out the scissor crossing (depending on space) and put in a double slip as the original plan suggests.

I also removed the loco servicing, as I believe by '85, these facilities were no longer there. As for the other lines, I'm leaving them in as to provide more operational interest, and to act as a 'what if' they were still there in '86 - '89.

I made the track plan my desktop wall paper, and opened Anyrail to fit inside the track plan found in the magazine. I have a screen shot of my desktop, showing the side by side comparison of my plan vs what is in the magazine, but unfortunatly am unable to post due to copyright issues.

Comments or suggestions?

post-7599-128294018108_thumb.jpg

Archived