RMweb

2FS - Smokey Bacon

SteveBedding

I may be wrong, but I don't think anyone has mentioned that the 57XXs were all reclassified as yellow route colour (except 9700-10) in 1950. Perhaps the folk on the Calne branch were just very forward-thinking?

Nick

Nick,

Thanks for this. As I understand it, the 57xx class retained their axle load/weight restriction class as Blue throughout their entire GWR operational career; however, post nationalisation, they were re-designated as Yellow as a part of a scheme to rationalise the various loading systems used by the Big Four (the aim was to standardise the 'boundaries' between classes). Eventually, BR adopted the (ex-LNER) Route Availability system, and the (GWR) colour coding system eventually disappeared.

• Like 1

Steve,

I'm not entirely sure of the details behind the decision to make the change, but the RCTS volume suggests that one factor was that they imparted very little 'hammer blow' to the track. There certainly are photos of 57XXs carrying yellow spots on the cab sides. I've just been looking at one of 3758 in 1962.

Perhaps a PM to Mike the Stationmaster might bring forth more info.

Nick

• Like 2

Perhaps a PM to Mike the Stationmaster might bring forth more info.

Excellent suggestion Nick, and one I've promptly acted on (well it would have been a bit quicker, but I couldn't access RMweb for much of the past 48hours - some network issues I suspect :( ).

Mike very kindly, and promptly, answered confirming your statement on the reasoning behind the change in the route restriction designation, and then gave a nice, simple, and comprehensible explanation of what the 'hammer blow' effect was...

...the whole 57XX/8750 group, except for the condenser equipped 9700-10, were altered from 'Blue' route restriction to 'Yellow' in 1950 (regret I can't give a more exact date) as it had been found that they had a very low hammer-blow effect. What I don't know is how long it actually took to alter the markings on the locos but presumably - as it was normal practice at that time - the change was implemented by written Instruction and the operational impact would have been fairly immediate.

There seems to have been quite a movement of 57XX around depots in August of that year so that might be a clue to the date of the change. Hope that helps.

...In very simple terms (according to my simplistic understanding of it) a steam loco puts weight down on the track and structures in two ways The first of these is the direct vertical loading of what it weighs - e.g an original 57XX plonks 47t 10cwt onto the track spread over its 6 wheels. The second lot of weight is the dynamic loading (I think it used to be called reciprocating weight or something like that) which basically is the extra load thrown onto the driving axle by the action of the pistons and connecting rods as it is translated from reciprocating movement to rotational movement on the driving axle. This weight is uneven because there are only a limited number of cylinders so to cancel some of that unevenness the wheels are fitted with balance weights. But those weights cannot totally eliminate the imbalance and what isn't balanced comes out at the wheel/rail interface as hammer blow.

Hammer blow is worst on 2 cylinder locos, a bit better on 3 cylinder locos and better stiil - or rather more evenly distributed round the circle represented by the wheel - on 4 cylinder locos but it also depends on the way the pistons are set in relation to each other. So less hammer blow equals less bashing of the track from the reciprocating movement. Simply summed up hammer blow magnifies the loading from the weight of the loco, and it does it unevenly.

Yet another piece of information gathered; whilst not strictly relevant to the period that the planned (...and domestically 'authorised'...) Smokey Bacon is set, it may well come in handy for a 'possible' second set of rolling stock that would take the Calne Branch through the BR steam era... ...but that's for another day ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

In addition to the weights of the various bits there will be additional forces from the power delivered running forwards one con rod will be pushing somewhat downwards ( i.e 3 o clock to 6 oclock) whilst the other side is pulling upwards (9 o clock to 12 o clock) this effectively is trying to rock the driven axle from side to side the effect will vary according to the throttle setting and the load. Having driven a king up and down at Tysley you could feel the power surge each time the valve opened.

There were lots of other panniers around such as the 2021 rebuilds from saddle tanks that seemed more common on branch lines in GWR days going by photos.

Don

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

it may well come in handy for a 'possible' second set of rolling stock that would take the Calne Branch through the BR steam era...

second? ;) ...now don't go forgetting that third set of rolling stock that is planned....'Blue is the colour..diesels is the game' :lol: :P

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Pete, I'm sure that a third set is planned and there will be at least one blue engine, a red one and some green ones. These will all have smiling faces. tongue.gif

• Like 3

Pete, I'm sure that a third set is planned and there will be at least one blue engine, a red one and some green ones. These will all have smiling faces. tongue.gif

Now there's an idea - Sodor in Wiltshire... That'll be a fourth option for rolling stock, and one that I think will get SWMBO's approval :D It would even be appropriate to run "D7101 Bear The Hymek Diesel" and that was blue - should keep Pete happy...

• Like 1

Well SWMBO has just got back from yet another weekend of working......to see the about the plans of so many extensions to Smokey/Stinkey Bacon!!!! I really can't wait to see all these additions to the layout....especially all the blue engines!!!:rolleyes: and if there are some with smiley faces even better!!! :D I gather there has been some progress but to be honest I am not sure I fully understand all what I am being told!!:P

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see this progressing well.

I had a thought about Calne Station.

The large house on top of the rise behind the printing works ( look at earlier posts) is now the Con Club. This is the house where Stannier lived while he was Ch Eng. He would have walked 2 minutes round the corner from his house and onto an early train for Chippenham, and change for the Works at "Piggy Hill".

Just imagine how "on the ball" the Station Master would have had to have been with the Ch Eng using the Station twice a day!

Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

...The large house on top of the rise behind the printing works ( look at earlier posts) is now the Con Club. This is the house where Stannier lived while he was Ch Eng. He would have walked 2 minutes round the corner from his house and onto an early train for Chippenham, and change for the Works at "Piggy Hill".

Just imagine how "on the ball" the Station Master would have had to have been with the Ch Eng using the Station twice a day!...

What a lovely gem of information - though I suspect that he would have moved to somewhere in the Midlands by the time I'm looking at...:)

I didn't think Stanier was a GWR Ch Eng, though he worked under Churchward and Collett, eventually as the Works Manager at Swindon. Even so, that should have been enough for the staff at Calne and Chippenham to be on their toes whenever he was passing through.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Gents, thanks for the concern; all is well but a small outbreak of 'loss of mojo' occurred at the same time as some seriously busy RW intervention/interference :angry: :cry: Is it really nearly 10 weeks since I made any progress on the layout !!!

However, all was not lost, as despite the annoying interruptions, some important research has been achieved :yahoo: Firstly, pasties and cider on the South Devon Railway...

post-6085-0-15415300-1307047129_thumb.jpg

...a shame about the livery, but you can't go far wrong with a Collett 2251 Class...

...a good opportunity for a study of MOGOs, DAMO A, and a FRUIT D...

post-6085-0-44636300-1307047122_thumb.jpgpost-6085-0-49139700-1307047116_thumb.jpgpost-6085-0-54076300-1307047110_thumb.jpg

...just waiting for Dapol's future Hall

post-6085-0-94450000-1307047103_thumb.jpg

...and last but not least, a tanker with great family significance.

post-6085-0-60523900-1307047135_thumb.jpg

Secondly, a trip to the Watercress Line for the fine dining on the Watercress Belle...

post-6085-0-96437800-1307047791_thumb.jpg

...OK, so it's not GWR, but SR is just as acceptable when there is good food involved...

post-6085-0-94459200-1307047797_thumb.jpg

...Don't let SWMBO claim that I don't get her flowers !...

...but don't tell her that all the ladies were given them when they arrived ;)

...and I didn't get to this size by avoiding too many 6 course meals :rolleyes:

post-6085-0-68246200-1307047881_thumb.jpg

and Thirdly, a quick trip to Bucks for a cream tea on the Chinnor and Princess Risborough line...

...ah, back to GWR...

post-6085-0-84851600-1307048219_thumb.jpgpost-6085-0-41837300-1307048225_thumb.jpg

(for any Weight-Watchers out there - this little lot is apparently equivalent of just over 50 Pro-points - that's more than a days food or a weeks snack/treat allocation - OUCH!)

...and when you reach the end of the line, thy really do mean it here!

post-6085-0-98800600-1307048212_thumb.jpg

More on the up side, visiting the RMweb day in Taunton, and getting back to driving Witney Euston at both the Oxford show (actually in Witney) and at Railex last weekend, has given the juices a damn good stirring and I'm getting to point where the mojo is getting back to normal levels!!!

More to follow soon... :)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Good to see you back Steve....are you checking out the menu or wine list in your photo? :laugh:

Looking at the grin, Steve has just been asked if he would like x, y or z and replied yes please.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve -

Next time you visit the 'Watercress' try to time it for one of he 'RAT Runs' (Real Ale Train)...

post-3469-0-96782600-1307837583_thumb.jpg

A great evening ...

post-3469-0-17367600-1307837585_thumb.jpg

With the usual result....

post-3469-0-07751700-1307837586_thumb.jpg

and some good photo opportunities!

Regs

Ian

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the ongoing encouragement; and especial thanks to John for the box - it will greatly add to the character of the layout.

Well, to paraphrase British Rail "I'm getting there...", the chaotic times of RW family commitments are just about winding up now and so some serious modelling time is owed to me. That said, even these interruptions have been enjoyable/useful in that a trip to visit family in Lancashire just happened to coincide with the 2mm Association Expo in Keighley, and Fathers Day was focused around a very fine lunch on the Avon Valley Railway....:D (there seems to be a bit of common theme emerging here with trains and food :yahoo: )

Anyway, I have now managed to replenish my stock of rail and other essential building supplies and so can crack on with progressing the track work - I learnt a lot at the Expo on simple methods to make 'joggles' - very timely and will be put straight into practice. I did however manage to acquire one or two small distractions (coach bogies, wagon kits, and very nice etch for a class 45xx chassis) which will probably conspire to derail the best plans. Oh well, they will all contribute towards the eventual final layout...

Thanks again and hopefully my next post may actually show progress rather than 'excuses' for its lack... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Slow but steady progress; well, this is what I'd like to report but there has been far too much "slow" and not enough "progress" for my liking - and it certainly has not been steady! :( The good intentions (I managed to reclaim the dining room, and started to lay out the boards and tools etc...) were yet again interrupted by RW events. However, arranging a 60th birthday party down in Devon gave me an excuse for another sortie to Buckfastleigh for a little bit more 'research'...

Fortunately, it was the turn of a 45xx to be in steam on this occasion, which afforded me lots of opportunities to get pictures of the running gear and other details:

post-6085-0-79646900-1310503249_thumb.jpg

post-6085-0-06690100-1310503256_thumb.jpg

Like the Collett 2251 earlier in the year it was in BR livery (and far too shiny!), but although I'd like to see it in unlined black (GWR Austerity), it's good enough for the overall appearance.

Back to the layout. Work has focussed on fitting the chair plates on the copper-clad/pcb sleeper - so far I've done about 280 individual chairs and there are about another 140 to go! They are best done in batches of about 20-24 (4 chairs per sleeper) before the wrists start wanting to find a chainsaw! The horribly cruel photo below shows the placement of the etched brass chair plates; cleaning the sleepers afterwards has caused a fair degree of smudging of the track plan, but at this stage this becomes irrelevant as it will all be hidden by the ballast and a liberal dosing of 'Sleeper Grime'...

post-6085-0-49520500-1310503259_thumb.jpg

Another advantage of the use of the Templot plan stuck to the board is that 'engineering annotations' (aka the pencil scribbles...) can be added to the diagram to provide a sanity check/count of the numbers and types of the plastic Easitrac chairs ;) The actual chair plates used are from the Versaline system; previously I'd used just the standard ones, but following the 2mm Expo last month, I'd gotten hold of several sets of the etches for points. The purists may, on studying the placement of the chairs in the sleepers, observe that they may not be 100% prototypical :rolleyes: but I'm most definitely going to apply the 2ft rule here and stick to the view that they are only there to give an 'appearance' of chairs... :P

post-6085-0-24445900-1310503262_thumb.jpg

Each of the point etches should cater for 1 point, but because I'm only using a selection of pcb sleepers in the Easitrac point, I've found that by careful selection and use of specific plates (and giving the instructions a stiff ignoring!), I have been able to get sufficient 'usable' plates for 3 points per etc. (Is this taking economy too far?)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think your mixing of pcb and plastic sleepers makes good sense I for one will be really interested to see how it all blends together at the end. With track performance is more important than appearance you may well have craked both.

Don

craked? cracked - I must be.