Slight Oops at Crich today

My wife was up at Crich Tramway museum to day and saw a slightly poorly double decker tram being unloaded.

I understand it was on its way to Blackpool this morning, but struck trees and sustained broken windows and minor body damage shortly after leaving the site.

She saw it being unloaded and it suffered again. As it transititioned from the rails on the truck to the reception track, the joiner moved and the front wheels and life saver dropped about 20cm on the track "With a big bang !"

A single deck tram was then loaded without incident, but the driver had difficulty getting the trailer hitched up, with the tram visibily moving on the trailer as he tried to get the pin engaged on the low loader pick up with lots of wheelspin and black smoke. My father in-law who was with her and is a truck driver was not impressed with the driver or loading process, with the public stood less than 2M away from the loading and unloading shenanagans.

Not a great day...

Sounds like a bad driver to me. A mate of mine, Bill Gardner, helped move some of the trams TO Crich in the early days using a 1947 Scammell and low loader trailer. As far as I know, none sustained any damage.

Oops, sounds a bit like the trolleybus that was de-roofed at the Stamford Brook open day in the 1980's. Headroom was adequate as it's a former tram depot, but the low-loader driver forgot the trolleybus was ON the low-loader at the time!

Apologies to the driver, obviously not his fault the trees are to low, something of which I, as the driver of a Routemaster bus, am well aware!

• RMweb Gold
However if as stated a large part of a tram was dropped 20cm with the public 2m away then I suspect the HSE might be showing an interest.

I'snt is about time for a CSE (Common Sense Executive) for the general public and make it compulsory! Surely Common Sense would say it looks dangerous so I'll keep away!

Peter

• RMweb Premium

I'm not sure of the full details but as far as I know the route was one that had been used to bring a Blackpool double decker the other way recently but unfortunately some trees had put on more foliage in the meantime.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Clearance checking of the entire route for such a load BEFORE undertaking the journey is something I thought the Common Sense Executive would have insisted upon.

As for dropping the tram, yes the HSE should be interested. It is a reportable dangerous occurance, and the causes should be established to ensure there is no repetition.

Archived