Need to disguise N gauge BR Era 7 Light Gray 16T

Need a little help.

My wife bought some 16T minerals from Hattons website on a visit back to UK. She knows that anything era 4 or 5 is welcome on the layout. Hattons list the BR light gray GraFar 16T mineral as 4,5,6 and 7, but GraFar list it as 7 in their catalogue. It was a very nice suprise to receive 8 of them, but I am now wondering how I can make them more era appropriate? The moulding aappears identical to the earlier era models of same wagon.

Any ideas out there? The Weather them beyond point of recognition (anyone have some good pics for inspiration)? Repaint them - if yes, what to do about decals?

PS packaging has been trashed, and I am not sure I would bothered with cost to post them back to the UK.

• RMweb Premium

Any ideas out there? The Weather them beyond point of recognition (anyone have some good pics for inspiration)? Repaint them - if yes, what to do about decals?

The era 7 ones have TOPS codes but are the same wagon.

For era 4/5 you should ideally remove the MCO TOPS panel. If you're careful you may be able to scrape it off using a sharp scalple (being carefull not to dig into the plastic) or paint over it with some grey paint. Either way a bit of weathering wouldn't hurt.

Another option is to spray the model with a grey aerosol primer and then use Fox or ModelMaster transfers to back-date the wagon to the 50/60s.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Another option is to spray the model with a grey aerosol primer and then use Fox or ModelMaster transfers to back-date the wagon to the 50/60s.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

I wouldn't spray them with aerosol primer unless you want the wrong shade of grey and for them to look rough as a bears bum. I've used Railmatch paint, which is available in the correct shade of grey. The Fox transfers I'd agree with and have used. I used those suitable for post 1964 but pre TOPS. The wagon third from right was one of the TOPS lettered and wrong coloured ones and is seen here after repainting with Railmatch paint and Fox transfers. The top line of lettering in the box reads "COAL 16" or something like that. I can't quite remember and I'm not going into the loft to look at this time of night.

gallery_494_444_591319.jpg

HTH

• RMweb Premium

I wouldn't spray them with aerosol primer unless you want the wrong shade of grey and for them to look rough as a bears bum. I've used Railmatch paint, which is available in the correct shade of grey.

Show me a photo of two well used 16t minerals with exactly the same shade of grey paint and I'll agree with you! wink.gif

Railmatch and Phoenix colours are great but for something like plain grey that's going to get weathered I wouldn't worry too much about a perfect paint match. I do very much like what you've done with your wagons though Ruston.

Happy modelling,

Steven B.

• 5 years later...

Archived