Ayjay EMU Models

ianwales

Hi all

There were a couple of articles in Hornby magazine on two SR EMU kits in resin by Ayjay models. onwe was a 4 SUB and I can't remember the other, can anyone tell me which issues the articles were in so I can look for copies and what the other EMU was?

Ian

The other was a 2 HAL. A friend purchased the 2 HAL and had all sorts of problems. He did not purchase the 4 SUB but this maybe better.

An alternative would be the No Nonsense Kits and Alastair offers several of the different versions of the 4 SUBs.

I've built and got running the 2HAL, IMO not the easiest kit to work on. I had a problem with the chassis on the motor coach in that it was slightly distorted and was wider than the completed bodyshell. I ended up making my own chassis using 60thou plasticard and the details from the chassis supplied. The end result is quite presentable but won't win many awards.

I also bought the 4SUB and have partly progressed in that I've cleaned up the flash from the parts. That in itself is quite a task as the window frames are very delicate in places. The window frame thickness varies significantly along a side, mostly it's not too bad but is decidedly thin in a few places as mentioned in the Hornby mag article. Due to the way the SUB sides rollup into the roof the kit design is interesting and after some dry runs I feel is going to need quite a bit of fiddling and fettling to get a decent result. I haven't studied the chassis in detail but am half expecting that making my own out of 60thou plasticard will be the simplest answer.

However do not expect any quick reports, the SUB is going to be a job for those long winter evenings.

Yes. Looking at those links you provided, the SUB in particular is definitely not right. the whole front end tapers towards the bottom from too high up - it should not be getting wider towards the roof beside the cab windscreens.

sad.gifI'm afriad to say a friend of mine has had lots of problems with thier products - including some stock he had supplied RTR by them - I offered to look at them for him so to see if I could fix/repar/get running properly - as it was not very well built - I was a bit shocked at what I saw and didnt dare touch it - so much as to say avoid if you can ...sad.gif and yes - as mentioned by Pete Macfarlane , alot of money for something very crude.

TFN

Jon

Archived