Bits and Bobs

Afternoon Forum, it has been sometime.

Enthusiasm wained somewhat for my layout, Cambridge Road, however, hoping to re-energise.

My dad used to work for British Steel, at Irlam, and was describing the 5 plank wooden wagons that used to frequent the plant. I have been looking at the Bachmann offering and looks good, however, I would like to use something for the coupling that would have been more realistic - any suggestions?

The other questions I have is how to remove the pain/transfers that come on rtr wagons?

thanks,

Dave

Afternoon Forum, it has been sometime.

Enthusiasm wained somewhat for my layout, Cambridge Road, however, hoping to re-energise.

My dad used to work for British Steel, at Irlam, and was describing the 5 plank wooden wagons that used to frequent the plant. I have been looking at the Bachmann offering and looks good, however, I would like to use something for the coupling that would have been more realistic - any suggestions?

The other questions I have is how to remove the pain/transfers that come on rtr wagons?

thanks,

Dave

Dave how about Sprat and Winkle couplings

Removing paint, Phoenix model strip. Many use caustic soda for plastic models. Or just use a fiber glass pencil over the transfers and use primer and or respray.

... something for the coupling that would have been more realistic - any suggestions?

Do yoiu want realistic or invisible? Not the same thing.

• Realistic - three link.
  • Almost invisible - Alex Jackson or derivative.
  • Good compromise - Sprat and Winkle.

With three link you're into the heavenly hand for coupling and uncoupling, with the others you're into magnets and careful engineering. With all three you're into larger radii and buffers doing their job.

Do yoiu want realistic or invisible? Not the same thing.

• Realistic - three link.
  • Almost invisible - Alex Jackson or derivative.
  • Good compromise - Sprat and Winkle.

With three link you're into the heavenly hand for coupling and uncoupling, with the others you're into magnets and careful engineering. With all three you're into larger radii and buffers doing their job.

It depends very much on the wagons; I use Sprat & Winkle on Peco small-radius points with no buffer-locking problems, but that's just with short-wheelbase wagons and nothing bigger than an 0-6-0 loco.

Archived