DCC sound in a Bachmann 3F

signalmaintainer

I'd like to put a sound decoder in my Bachmann 3F -- speaker perhaps in the coal bunker, decoder somewhere around the firebox, I'm thinking. But, of course, I'm a bit apprehensive about the job as it appears that some minor surgery will be needed.

Anyone know of a source of information showing how it can be done? Any recommendations on decodersand speaker selection?

Thank you!

There was an article in RM a couple of years ago putting sound in an 8750 Bachmann Pannier. Speaker in the coal bunker. Sound decoder crammed in the cab. It apparently worked.

• RMweb Gold

I did a Bachmann pannier slightly differently from the article. Using a Loksound Micro and their smallest oval I fitted both in the boiler by removing all the 8 pin socket, gizmos and attachments to create a small rectangular space - I did not even need to use the pannier spaces - which are filled with metal weight anyway.

Chris

I put sound into one steam loco and fitted the speaker stuck to the cab roof pointing down towards the footplate. With the right sized speaker on a Jinty might get away with it sat on the cab floor as there are cab doors.

• 3 months later...

Archived