Oldham Mumps Bridge RIP

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday evening Oldham Mumps Bridge was finally demoished to make way for Metrolink. Here are a few pictures taken last night and one this morning.

Peter

post-6784-128310852701_thumb.jpg

Going....

post-6784-128310855382_thumb.jpg

Going....

post-6784-128310858275_thumb.jpg

Going....

post-6784-12831086225_thumb.jpg

Going....

post-6784-128310864278_thumb.jpg

GONE!!!!

post-6784-128310869975_thumb.jpg

I was amazed at how thin the base of the bridge was!

post-6784-128310874327_thumb.jpg

Firework Display! We did try to save the bridge by saying it was a rare type of tree!

Absolute chaos at that end of Oldham. There was an accident at Hill Stores on Friday afternoon as well. dad says he had great difficulty getting around.

Not as much chaos as theres going to be when the b*gg*r opens - it will be crossing what was a roundabout under two bridges, one leading onto the town centre by pass and as a consequence the busiest road junction in Oldham, on the level. Real bit of class forward thinking.

Not as much chaos as theres going to be when the b*gg*r opens - it will be crossing what was a roundabout under two bridges, one leading onto the town centre by pass and as a consequence the busiest road junction in Oldham, on the level. Real bit of class forward thinking.

That is true when Metrolink opens on the existing rail alignment (but at ground level) in 2011. However the designers tell me that by the time the town centre diversion replaces the section through the former Mumps station, the roads will have been re-organised so the roundabout no longer exists and the prime traffic flow between the bypass and the A62 (in either direction) doesn't cross the tracks at all.

That is true when Metrolink opens on the existing rail alignment (but at ground level) in 2011. However the designers tell me that by the time the town centre diversion replaces the section through the former Mumps station, the roads will have been re-organised so the roundabout no longer exists and the prime traffic flow between the bypass and the A62 (in either direction) doesn't cross the tracks at all.

And the critical words are "by the time" Edwin - 2 to 3 years of traffic bottlenecks and enhanced accident potential rolleyes.gif

I cant help just looking at this whole idea and thinking what a waste of money - the heavy rail option was perfectly adequate. I also wonder that given a bit of forward thinking and encouragement, all the mail/ internet order distribution business in Shaw (6 former cotton mills worth all clustered around the line) may well have been a viable rail freight operation instead of all the HGVs going in and out of the town. I've no idea of the actual viability, just thinking off the top of my head here, but that options right out of the window now.

Look here and you'll find that not only do they still make Tubigrip in Oldham, but the same company makes other things that would have been a bit more upsetting to certain people if emblazoned on a bridge! On their website SSL Group (formerly Seton) claim to have "cutting edge advertising" - did they sponsor the gas axes?

Look here and you'll find that not only do they still make Tubigrip in Oldham, but the same company makes other things that would have been a bit more upsetting to certain people if emblazoned on a bridge! On their website SSL Group (formerly Seton) claim to have "cutting edge advertising" - did they sponsor the gas axes?

Ha ha i never realised Seton aquired the London Rubber Company. I suppose if that name had been on the bridge it would have been a "safe" demolitionbiggrin.gif

Oldham council always was 'away with the fairies'. Nowt's changed. Many properties around Mumps were demolished over 40 years ago in the rush to demolish as much victorian property as possible to prove to Harold W. the town was 'moving with the times'. It was happening all over the country as the past gave way to the tacky seventies, but the trouble with Oldham is it always looks like a building site.

Remember: "I told 'em Oldham" - what was the product?

Best, Pete.

Batteries, made in Denton not Oldham.

Not been past yet but Mumps is going to be wierd without a bridge, as to traffic, well they've done enough to stuff Huddersfield Rd up already, Tesco, bus lane, bad lights sequencing what's a tram or two going to do?

I suppose it will eventually work with everyone jumping on the Metrolink to shop/work in Manchester, by that stage Oldham town centre will solely consist of mobile phone and charity shops...................... oh, what do you mean, it pretty much does now.....

I suppose it will eventually work with everyone jumping on the Metrolink to shop/work in Manchester, by that stage Oldham town centre will solely consist of mobile phone and charity shops..........
Its funny how the trains were removed last year and someone expects Oldhamers to just sit around like muffins waiting for a tram to come by possibly 4 years hence? If they can live without trains for 5 years, trams are barely needed! cool.gif

I've crossed that bridge often on Lanky 0-6-0s staggering to keep their feet with transfer freights to the sidings near Royton Junction. It was funny how one had little percepton of crossing a busy road. No roundabout in those days....Just a set of traffic lights controlling Huddersfield Road, Lees Road, the Grotto and a backstreet.

• 4 years later...

Well, progress and all that.

Sad to see it gone for me as I saw it every Saturday as a teenager on the way to my part time job in a body shop.

I feel sorry for the folks who have to wait for the trams to cross now, especially during peak times.

Gerry C

Well, progress and all that.

Sad to see it gone for me as I saw it every Saturday as a teenager on the way to my part time job in a body shop.

I feel sorry for the folks who have to wait for the trams to cross now, especially during peak times.

Gerry C

It's all changed since the original thread in 2010. The old Mumps station and railway line to Werneth are closed and gone. The trams now turn before the bypass and run through the town centre.

http://www.tfgm.com/Corporate/Consultations/Oldham-Mumps-ARCHIVE/Pages/metrolink-in-oldham.aspx

Archived