Class 37. but what sound ?

rushdenx1

I want to invest in a Class 37 with sound. However my layout is just a Freight yard, consisting of straight track and only 6 feet long. Even so, I still want to be able to hear the 'thrash' of the loco

either from a stationary position or witihn the 6 feet of track available. Can someone advise me on the best option. I have read that the Bachmann sound fitted 37's won't give the 'thrash' noise in such a

small layout, can someone confirm this. If this is the case then is the best option having a sound chip fitted, if so which one, Howes, SW Digital, Loksound ?? And finally if I need to get sound fitted, who

can provide a fitting service ? Sorry for asking so many questions, but I want to make the right decision and get the most out of the sound on the small layout I have. Any help is appreciated. Kevin.

I want to invest in a Class 37 with sound. However my layout is just a Freight yard, consisting of straight track and only 6 feet long. Even so, I still want to be able to hear the 'thrash' of the loco

either from a stationary position or witihn the 6 feet of track available. Can someone advise me on the best option. I have read that the Bachmann sound fitted 37's won't give the 'thrash' noise in such a

small layout, can someone confirm this. If this is the case then is the best option having a sound chip fitted, if so which one, Howes, SW Digital, Loksound ?? And finally if I need to get sound fitted, who

can provide a fitting service ? Sorry for asking so many questions, but I want to make the right decision and get the most out of the sound on the small layout I have. Any help is appreciated. Kevin.

The bachman one has notching will give you all the thrash you want when you want. Best to fit 2 x 23 ml speakers in the tanks though for the best sound as apposed to the original fitted speaker.

Just found a utube clip i did some time ago showing what you want to achieve

Ive found that the notching on the Bachmann one still takes some time for it to kick in when running. My layout isnt particuarly long when you add the scenic sections to fiddle yards and moving about sometimes means they would run a similar distance. I would suggest getting a Howes class 37 sound chip, as they have both unrefurbished and refurbished power units, better to match your class 37 and also run better, going to power the engine of the locomotive, pending on how you drive it. I find that to be a far better set up - but then thats just perference.

Thanks for all the comments so far and the great links. A question for Piemanlarger. Was it easy to tweak the Bachmann sounds. What did you do ?

Yes, there was apost about tweaking Bachmann cv on old rmweb to get the 37 thrashing on a short layourt without using the notching. I prefere notching. , see if i can find it...............

Fitting twin speakers is not too hard a job, just need to take the 37 apart and drill some 2mm holes in the tanks. I did have a post on old rmweb about doing it. not sure what the title was though.

See belowe for cv tweaks

SWD cl37 V4 CV settings for small layout

by Sandhills TMD on Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:43 pm

Hi Folks,

Help required please !

Got the South West Digital class 37 version 4 sound chip installed in the Rail Express DRS pairing and even though the sound is good its not behaving on my very small 5 ft run. The gap between initial rev to get started and the full on power handle wide open sound is way to long for my board.

Anybody got any values i can tweak the CV's too and make this better in short bursts ?

Thanks in advance......................

Report this postReply with quoteRe: SWD cl37 V4 CV settings for small layout

by mrscorn78 on Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:19 pm

Hi,

i know a few people who have turned CV5 down to 22 or below. This limits the max speed so it makes the chip thrash sooner.

There may be another way of doing it but thats how i have seen it done.

hope that helps

cheers

Simon

by SRman on Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:15 am

What Simon says sounds as if it should work, in theory. However, I would suggest that if you do alter CV5, make sure you also alter CV6 (the mid-voltage setting) so that it is a lower value than that of CV5 (approximately half but you can experiment to see what gives you the best control).

Re: SWD cl37 V4 CV settings for small layout

by Sandhills TMD on Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:10 pm

Thanks chaps, you are truely masters of the dark art of DCC 'tweaking' !!!!

CV 5 at 10

CV 6 at 5

Result, mental tractor that goes from standing start to full power and whistle down again in less than 5ft !

Thanks again...............

Im having a simlar problem with my Bachmann 37 do you reccomed the same CV settings?

Also does anyone know how i would change them on a Hornby Elite as i havent got a clue and dont want to mess the chip up.

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark,

Seems to do the trick. CV5 with a value of 20 and CV6 with a value of 10. You can also help the situation by lowering the value of CV3 ACC so the loco isnt too fast building speed.

Sorted,

CV5 changed to 25

CV6 changed to 12

Full thrash lovely, thanks all

See if that helps, shopuld you get the Bachmann 37

I would stick with the Bachmann sound. Don't get me wrong I like Howes (My 20 is fantastic the 20 sound is the best I've heard) but when I got my 37's reblown I wasn't blown away by the sound when compared to a standard Bachmann. And as has been mentioned the Howes doesnt notch. For reference I got a refurbished and an unrefurbished version.

Guy

• 4 weeks later...

The only thing I don't like about the SWD / standard Bachmann sound settings is the enforced drop back to idle after moving off. In all other respects they are very good (apart from the class 20 on full thrash). I just don't see why SWD do that on their decoders, since many of the real locomotives can open up their throttles right from the word go.

• 3 weeks later...

My latest bit of video (wonky) work

Swd mk 4 class 37 on oil train (not being driven very well haha)

Def one of the best ones I've heard/watched of late - you'll be getting nominated for a utube "Oscar" soon at this rate. However, it does sound more like a Bachmann chip using notching to me, than an SWD one ? perhaps not ? as there's no flange squeal on the Bach chip <_< The 60 oil train is also very good, but alas 60's don't do it for me, like 37's :P

The only thing I don't like about the SWD / standard Bachmann sound settings is the enforced drop back to idle after moving off. In all other respects they are very good (apart from the class 20 on full thrash). I just don't see why SWD do that on their decoders, since many of the real locomotives can open up their throttles right from the word go.

It does sound a bit odd, and it happens on a lot of sound decoders. On a real loco once the throttle (air valve) is opened - it stays opened unless it's manually closed. The engine revs do not drop back to idle unless the throttle is closed again. Recently noticed on the Hornby sound 60, this drop back to idle once moving does not happen ! even if only moving off and staying on speed step 1 (128 steps) the engine remains above idle sound, only dropping back to idle once stopped. Let's have more sound decoders set like this :rolleyes:

Yes, there was apost about tweaking Bachmann cv on old rmweb to get the 37 thrashing on a short layourt without using the notching. I prefere notching. , see if i can find it...............

Fitting twin speakers is not too hard a job, just need to take the 37 apart and drill some 2mm holes in the tanks. I did have a post on old rmweb about doing it. not sure what the title was though.

See belowe for cv tweaks

SWD cl37 V4 CV settings for small layout

by Sandhills TMD on Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:43 pm

Hi Folks,

Help required please !

Got the South West Digital class 37 version 4 sound chip installed in the Rail Express DRS pairing and even though the sound is good its not behaving on my very small 5 ft run. The gap between initial rev to get started and the full on power handle wide open sound is way to long for my board.

Anybody got any values i can tweak the CV's too and make this better in short bursts ?

Thanks in advance......................

by mrscorn78 on Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:19 pm

Hi,

i know a few people who have turned CV5 down to 22 or below. This limits the max speed so it makes the chip thrash sooner.

There may be another way of doing it but thats how i have seen it done.

hope that helps

cheers

Simon

by SRman on Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:15 am

What Simon says sounds as if it should work, in theory. However, I would suggest that if you do alter CV5, make sure you also alter CV6 (the mid-voltage setting) so that it is a lower value than that of CV5 (approximately half but you can experiment to see what gives you the best control).

Re: SWD cl37 V4 CV settings for small layout

by Sandhills TMD on Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:10 pm

Thanks chaps, you are truely masters of the dark art of DCC 'tweaking' !!!!

CV 5 at 10

CV 6 at 5

Result, mental tractor that goes from standing start to full power and whistle down again in less than 5ft !

Thanks again...............

Im having a simlar problem with my Bachmann 37 do you reccomed the same CV settings?

Also does anyone know how i would change them on a Hornby Elite as i havent got a clue and dont want to mess the chip up.

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark,

Seems to do the trick. CV5 with a value of 20 and CV6 with a value of 10. You can also help the situation by lowering the value of CV3 ACC so the loco isnt too fast building speed.

Sorted,

CV5 changed to 25

CV6 changed to 12

Full thrash lovely, thanks all

See if that helps, shopuld you get the Bachmann 37

Have just done the same adjustment to the cvs on my Howes class 50 - extremely effective ! and for the 50 at least , it doesnt give you too much thrash for a depot layout - perfect!

tfn

jon

• RMweb Gold

Why would you want thrash on a short layout. You would be modelling a loco being driven by an idiot! If I thrashed up and down 12A I'd be out of a job within weeks. Sound has to be realistic too!

cheerio

Claggy

hmmmm i can think of a few drivers who would also be out of a job too!!

in all fairness its just a model and if people who dont have big layouts (like me) want their locos to "thrash" over a short space then its up to them, realistic or not, after all why spend ??100+ on a model only to have it never get out of "notch 1" so to speak, a lot of my locos have been set up by howes to give a bit of "thrash" low down but not go carrering off the end of the layout at breakneck speeds!!

a good feature on my class 40 (howes) is when its crawling along on shed in about notch 6-7 it gives a momentary burst of sound every so often as if the driver has opened the throttle to keep it moving, the loco however doesn't speed up at all, the unrefurbished 37 also has the feature of wheelslip where if you open the throttle straight up it will "thrash" then breifly spool back then trash again as if its slipping where as if you accellerate slowly through the notches then it wont slip and it will throttle up without spooling back

i've added a youtube video of the 37 on bobs big layout

http://www.youtube.com/user/fastlinegrid#p/u/5/YxLXTej-Nwc

and heres one of it on my 6ft layout

http://www.youtube.com/user/fastlinegrid#p/u/23/bwWROw1AXyI

Archived